“Wonderful hotel, best experience”
Review of Hotel Villa Steno

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Villa Steno
Reviewed October 2, 2013

All the other reviewers have got it right. This small intimate hotel provides the genuine 5 star experience that other hotels strive for but often don't achieve. The room was simply beautiful, the bed deliciously comfy, the breakfasts superbly fresh and inviting, but even more importantly than all of this, Matteo and Anna are simply wonderful hosts (and their staff are also lovely). It's the small but important touches that make them such great hosts..we arrived at the hotel a little before our room was ready so Matteo stowed our luggage, led us out to the gorgeous terrace and offered complimentary coffees while we waited for our room. When we went to reception to purchase a bottle of wine to drink we asked Anna her opinion on the two bottles we were considering. Not only did she give her opinion but she promptly gave us a tasting of each to assist us in our choice. These guys really do understand that travellers sometimes like being looked after!! We have now been on the road for 3 months and we've stayed in many hotels on this trip. This was our best experience!

Oh, and just like others have noted the location is fabulous. We will return to Monterosso and we will only stay at the Villa Steno.

Room Tip: We had room 14. Great room with own balcony plus a separate fenced terrace garden. Superb!
2  Thank Ruby G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at Villa Steno (3 Sept - 7 Sept) on our honeymoon. From the second we walked into the door, we felt so welcome. Not only did Anna guide us to the most amazing dinner spots, but Matteo helped to locate my missing luggage - truly amazing hosts! The breakfast is so fresh and delicious, and being able to eat it on their balcony overlooking the sea with a cappuccino was pure heaven. The room we stayed in was actually pretty large compared to some of the other places we stayed while in Italy. The rooms and common areas were kept spotless - a lot of work went into keeping the hotel in pristine condition. We splurged for room with a balcony and view, and it was worth every penny. The first two nights we were jet lagged, so we sipped wine on the balcony overlooking the sea and the city until the wee hours of the morning - such an unforgettable experience. You have to climb quite a bit of stairs to get to the hotel from the city center, but the views from the panoramic balcony are so breathtaking, it is silly to stay anywhere else in Monterosso (or Cinque Terre for that matter!). We will always remember the kindness Matteo, Carla, and Anna showed us. Our stay in Villa Steno was our absolute favorite part of our honeymoon. It was such a struggle to leave - we wanted to stay longer! We are already planning our trip back to Monterosso to stay at Villa Steno again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 with the balcony with sea view and did not regret it!!
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel Villa Steno is a diamond in the rough, literally. A warm wonderful spot in the middle of beautiful rugged terrain with excellent hosts. Breakfast was excellent, the location is perfect for anything you want to do. Our only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great as they all overlook Monterosso. The showers and AC were also superb as was...
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Yes, as we had read in advance of our stay, this is truly a wonderful property, and it will make your stay in the area one you will never forget. The rooms are wonderful, the views are wonderful, the breakfast every morning was delightful, but what you will truly remember about your stay here will be the "over-the-top" exceptional service from each and every person you encounter at the property! Upon our arrival we were greeted by Anna who gave us a very warm welcome, and gave us a detailed orientation to the area, from shopping, to visiting the beach, as well as the best places to dine in the area. In fact we ended up dining at the three top places she suggested, and they were truly three of the best places we have ever eaten anywhere! Anna was genuinely nice, and made us feel so very welcome; she guided us to our room, and started off our stay in just the way one would want it to start. from that point on we felt right at home, finding that everyone at the hotel went out of their way in the same manner Anna had, to ensure we had everything at our disposal to ensure our stay was most wonderful. Matteo was the ultimate host, always there for us whether we had questions about the area, or just wanted to talk. He really puts his heart into the operation of the property, and the satisfaction of the guests. He goes out of his way to make every guest feel like "family." Carla is cut from exactly the same cloth; she is warm, genuine, as well as the ultimate host. I would have to say she puts on one of the best breakfasts that one could ask for. I genuinely feel that Carla & Matteo are two of the nicest hosts you will ever encounter or experience in your travels. There were a few others that I cannot name, but they were all the same: wonderful! No matter who it was you encountered, the experience was exactly the same. The ladies cleaning the rooms were also delightful! I cannot say enough good things about the service you will experience at this wonderful property; Carla & Matteo have surrounded themselves with individuals much like themselves. So if you are truly looking for a wonderful place to stay, in a wonderful place, this is it! Thank you so very much for everything! P & J...

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the sea & a balcony. To ensure you will get this type of room, boo...
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was one of my favorite places to stay out of the other three hotels I stayed at during my trip. I loved my room, my balcony was awesome and I appreciated the free wifi especially since I was traveling by myself and wanted to stay in touch with people at home. I woke up to a spectacular view everyday and had the same spectacular view when I ate breakfast. The breakfast was so delicious, the hotel had soy milk and Carla and Matteo made me cappuccino with soy milk. I loved Monterosso, it was my favorite town out of the Cinque terre. The only thing I forgot to get was my complimentary glass of wine when I arrived so don't forget to ask for it. I slept very well, the maids cleaned up my room so well and everything smelled like lemon cleaner, it was a very nice hotel. I would recommend to anyone and will stay there again. It is a hike when you first arrive and you have all of your bags so if you can't walk up hills, get a taxi. I didn't mind the hills and this is something that is a part of the Cinque terre charm. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Book as early as possible, it's busy in the summer and September.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this highly recommended hotel during our four night stay in Monterosso and it surpassed all our expectations! Prior to our arrival, Matteo contacted us by email and offered to arrange taxi pick up for us upon arrival in Monterosso. It was greatly appreciated and certainly set the tone for great customer care. Our room was #11 and it had a lovely balcony and view of the town and sea. The hotel is comfortable and spotless and you can dine inside or outside for breakfast. Speaking of which, the breakfast choices were plentiful. Cold meats and cheeses were available as well as fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, breads, yogurts, locally made jams and marmalade as well as juices, teas, and coffees. Every morning we were greeted with a cheerful "Buon Giorno". We truly enjoyed our stay and would recommend this 'home away from home' to anyone travelling to the Cinque Terre region!! I would also highly recommend taking a taxi to the hotel from the train station rather than dragging your luggage. There are a lot of stairs to the hotel from the main road but the views are lovely and worth the climb if you don't have mobility issues. We visited all but one of the 5 villages and were happy with our choice of staying in Monterosso. There are plenty of beaches, and restaurants to choose from if you just want to stay in town. Thanks again Matteo and Carla for such an enjoyable stay!!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at here as per TA reviews

The hotel is located an easy walk to the old town... don't try walking here with ur luggage from hte train station....get a taxi! Carla and Matteo can organise one for you!

Room:
We were a little bit disappointed with the room... we didn't manage to book a sea view room and booked a garden view room, but the balcony didn't have a view of anything but was a big enclosed space. Also, the room was quite small....we didn't have enough room for our 2 luggage pieces. We saw the inside of one of the other rooms when walking past as it was being cleaned and it was a lot bigger than our room so maybe we lucked out. We were in room 16 so try to avoid that one
We had to block the entrance to the balcony with our luggage
Room was clean and adequate, nothing special but it is a 3 star B&B type place.
We both found the beds slightly uncomfortable though

Serivce:
Mateo and Carla were great. Really helpful and easy going... just a nice friendly B&B type hotel

Overall:
Happy with the hotel and Mateo and Carla really made it worthwhile

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple