“Simply the best”
Review of Hotel Villa Steno

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Villa Steno
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were fortunate enough to stay here for 3 nights and, because we booked last minute, managed to snag the best room in the house at a great rate. Best hotel experience ever! Gorgeous room with its own terrace, offering spectacular views of the town and the Mediterranean. Beautiful marble bathroom. Immaculately clean and well cared for. The owners are gracious, warm and welcoming. The breakfasts are fabulous; especially loved the homemade jams made with lemons, oranges and apricots from the hotel's own gardens. Staying at Villa Steno made it even more difficult to leave the lovely town of Monterosso and the spectacular area of the Cinque Terre. We'll be back!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Steno

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have stayed here many times and it remains our favorite stop while traveling in Italy. The breakfasts are terrific and the owners (Matteo & Carla) can't do enough for you. The views are terrific from the hotel and especially from the new "Panoramic" they have added. The rooms are always spotless. It's a very relaxing and enjoyable place to stay. I know we will return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Hotel Villa Steno is one of my favourite Hotels in Europe! The rooms are modern (including electronic card locks), very comfortable and spotlessly clean. One other important point is that the rooms are equipped with good air conditioning.

Matteo & Carla (the hard working owners) are wonderful, and they're always able to help with touring plans or local information. Breakfasts are great, including scrambled eggs (which is something I haven't found at many locations in Italy). As noted by others, the views of the town and ocean from the Hotel are incredible! I often like to sit on the balcony in the late afternoon Ligurian sun with a glass of Vino or Prosecco, and just savour that view!

The Hotel is located in the "old town" section of Monterosso, but it's not a difficult walk from the station (I'm 60+ and have no problem getting there with a heavy Backpack). However it could be a bit of an effort for those with heavy luggage, but there are baggage services available. Once settled in the Hotel, it's not difficult to get back and forth via the very convenient stairway through the gardens.

I've been so pleased with my stays at Villa Steno, that I have on occasion changed my Itinerary to suit their availability.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Euro_Traveller-50
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were so pleased with this lovely little hotel in Monterosso. It was very clean, comfortable and the staff very helpful and friendly. Our room had a great liitle balcony with a view of the sea and the town. The breakfast was lovely and served on the larger balcony. We felt very safe there and if we ever were to return to Monterroso, we would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank Nora T
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I absolutely loved the Hotel Villa Steno. I was there in early August for a long weekend, and you couldn't ask for a more welcoming or charming hotel. I had a single room, and they weren't kidding - I had a darling little twin sized bed. The room was spotless, comfortable, and best of all, had its own little balcony with an awesome view of Monterosso below. The grounds are gorgeous, and I'm guessing that after the flooding last year, they had to do a lot of work to rehabilitate that garden. There are terraces after terraces of lemon trees with little benches here and there to rest as you climb the stairs up the hill - they warn you that the way up is steep, and they are NOT kidding. Not bad if you aren't dragging a suitcases, but hard work if you're over 50, out of shape, dragging a suitcase and come from a high-altitude, dry climate where it never gets much over 90. If you are any combination of the above, I would highly recommend letting Matteo organize a taxi for you. Since the flooding, the taxi has to take the long way around, but actually, it is a gorgeous ride - I wisely tagged along with a couple of Aussies to the train station when I checked out.

Breakfast was outstanding, and the outdoor seating on the terrazzo has a stunning view. Inside is nice too, and no one ever tried to hurry me along as I lingered over my second cappuccino. They make their own pastries. Need I say more?

Would highly recommend this place to anyone staying in the Cinque Terre region.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are rooms NOT overlooking Monterosso, but a view is a must have.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank EveryCorner
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel Vlla Steno was great. The views from our room and patio (#5) overlooked the city and Med and were excellent. Breakfast was fast and easy and the small parking was very conveneient as we drove into Monterosso. The only disappointment was the hiking trail was closed due to an avalanche. Carla and Matteo make you feel right at home and were extremely helpful and friendly. We will stay here again when we come back when our boys are old enough to handle the hiking. Food is excellent and there are many great choices only a shot walk away.

Room Tip: Room 5 was great. Very large. Had a king bed and then two singles on the way towards patio.
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying all the other reviewers before me who said monterosso is best town to settle for accommodation if you are traveling with kids are 100% correct. This town has little more urban feel, beaches for kids and parks/play area. Now if you settle for monterosso you have to stay in Villa Steno, it's just perfect. Starting from quality of mattress, linens, breakfast to wonderful terrace views, it's very comfortable bed and breakfast. Mateo and Carla are very involved in making sure their guest are happy and leave with something to cherish for years to come:). Anamaria who is in charge when the owners are not around is the best to serve your needs. If you are traveling with young kids likes us and have budget please stay in their family cottage, the view on large patio is awesome.

• Stayed: August 2012
#17 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Locanda del Sole
Locanda del Sole
#2 of 11 in Riomaggiore

Been to Hotel Villa Steno? Share your experiences!