“Supply and demand rules”
Review of Hotel Baia

Hotel Baia
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Fundamentally everything about the hotel is basic but fine - the room, bathroom, breakfast, lobby etc. But the rates are very high for this standard of accommodation, simply because of its location in CinqueTerre. It is in a beautiful spot, across the road from the beach, a couple of minutes walk from Monterosso train station to the left, and a couple of minutes walk from The Giant to the right.
If you want to stay in CinqueTerre you're going to have to pay high prices for basic accommodation. If you want to pay less you'll need to stay further away. The train running through the towns runs quite regularly, so this is an option.
I only had one night to maximise time in the area so I just accepted the overpricing on this occassion, but if I'd had longer (or if I return) I will stay further away.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Baia

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We stayed here on a trip around Italy .reasonable 3star hotel .is close to beach in new part of town .has wifi in lounge area.breakfast is good and staff are helpful .would go back .
Room s are clean and some have balconies .

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Best town out of the cinque terre for sure, has a great relaxing feel to the place.
The hotel room is clean & comfortable, staff friendly enough but I would say maybe a little over priced in comparison to other cities in Europe. But hey it's a small coastal village so you will always pay a little more for places like this where ever you are in the world.
There is two beautiful restaurants on the road out front of the hotel, defiantly recommend the seafood pealla!
To the person who mentions their disgust in not being able to use the lift (it's for disabled people & for your luggage) I wonder why they have even came to this town as the main attraction is hiking through the different coastal towns... Surely a set of stairs isn't that bad?

2  Thank jesssean1
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Cinque Terre are beautifull, a true jewel despite very limited possibilities for hiking after the 2011 natural disaster. Prices of the hotels (and of this hotel) reflect this reputation. Frequent travellers accross Europe may have a certain set of expectations in relation to the price, so you can read about disapointments regarding things like the wifi, lift or "the older lady" in this hotel. I agree about the wifi, but for me other "problematic things" somehow transformed into a "special character" of the place :) The location is splendid (while having my evening espresso I have heard "Uau, can you imagine that some people stay here?" from the people walking on the promenade by the hotel). The staff have been very kind (including "the older lady" ;) e.g. they allowed us to take our breakfasts (from the already prepared tables inside) to the tables accross the street to enjoy morning view of the sea. Maybe it helped a bit that I have tried to speak italian :)

Room Tip: 2nd or higher floor with the sea view (you might also wish to have a balcony)
2  Thank kmarko
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I agree with reviewer "passportsplease" that sometimes reviewers can be too particular and not give a fair overall perspective. I had previously read the adverse reviews of this hotel, but on reaching Monterosso I asked for a room for 1 night at Baia by just walking in and I forgot the name in the context of past reviews. I was overall pleasantly surprised. The person on the desk gave me a room upgrade unprompted, and they were pleasant. I met the lady referred to in prior reviews and observed the person minding reception overnight. We're they slick and completely customer focused?, No. Is this part of the charm of Italy, a little bit different, a bit untidy? I think Italy is becoming more "normal" and at risk of losing it's essential charm. The rooms were clean, had all the required amenities, and the sea view and location was great. In addition the breakfast was better than most places. Sure the lift situation is odd and wifi does work in foyer only, but all that can be managed and do you need to be connected 24/7? My only comment is that the walls between room seem to be thin.
I would recommend Baia, but remind people that it is not a chain hotel in a major US/UK city.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I love tripadvisor, I use it regularly but sometimes it has the potential to ruin a unique holiday experience. After reading previous reviews about this hotel, seriously, I was stressed! I like a clean, safe and decent place to lay my head at night so, the reviews made me very nervous. Nervous enough to consider cancelling and losing my deposit. However, I need not have been. Yes, the older lady at reception seems very "animated" I haste to say anything bad about her because we actually dealt with Catti and she was lovely. And, yep, the internet was not working and the foyer resembled a lounge room after 9, with an older gentleman settled in. But, it's Italy, it's regional and the whole area of the stunning cinque Terre is " rustic" so, I was fine with it. The room we had unashamedly faced the Mediterranean Sea, and the vista was divine. The 3rd floor balcony was drenched in afternoon sun and 2 chairs to watch the world lazily go by. It was spotlessly clean and secure. The housekeeping did a great job, even folding my sons clothes and straightening my husbands shoes. Breakfast was continental style and fresh. Infact, the prosciutto cotto was really fresh and yum. The best I have had a breakfast buffet in 3 weeks in Italy. Warning, there is no lift but the luggage is taken up for you so no problems there.( and, elderly, pregnant or handicapped guests can also use the lift) I actually used the stairs as an excuse to eat more! So, luckily I let this travel experience unfold come what may, and I am so glad I let my instincts take over. Certainly we will be back to visit and would not hesitate about returning to hotel Baia.

Room Tip: Go third floor sea facing. It's quiet up there!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank passportsplease
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Before you book here please Read the reviews. They are not exaggerated by any means. This would have to be by far the worst hotel in Europe that we stayed in and we did one month of traveling!It will ruin your trip. Worst bed ever, worst service by far, only have wifi in lobby which we got kicked out of at night because they wanted to go to bed. Elevator only for bags. Young workers there were nice but the old lady will have you begging god to bless you with patience and not strength cause you will want to throw her of the balcony.Dont waste your money on this place.

• Stayed: April 2014