“Quaint hotel just outside of Monterosso”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Monterosso Alto
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Greenville, South Carolina
“Quaint hotel just outside of Monterosso”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was a nice hotel with a B&B feel. The room was small but cozy and comfortable. We arrived late on a Friday evening but still in time for dinner at the hotel restaurant. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean, and we were surprised by the WiFi and plentiful cable channels. This is a great base location for hiking around Cinque Terre.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mwall722

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We were booked in late October, 2011 for 2 nights at the Hotel Monterosso Alto in the Cinque Terre. Unfortunately, Italy experienced very heavy rains which caused floods and landslides at the time, destroying the villages of Monterosso and Vernazza. We received an email that the hotel had to cancel our reservation as it had been severely damaged. Nevertheless, the Hotel charged my credit card for one night's accomodation as a "cancellation penalty".
It took me 2 months to reverse the charge, working with my credit card company and providing all my proof that I was not the one who cancelled my reservation. The Hotel then simply turned around and put a new unauthorized charge through against my credit card for the same amount, which I now have to take more of my time to dispute.

Whatever the experience may be of the hotel's facilities, they clearly have an attitude of cheating the public, and I strongly recommend against anyone booking with them.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Karen P
hotelMONTEROSSOalto, Direttore at Hotel Monterosso Alto, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
First of all we would say we're sorry for what happened and then inform you that the hotel never closed and never had problems because it is located on the hills of Monterosso al Mare as it surely will have noticed at the time of booking, the booking.com contract is clear and can not be changed by us, because we had the room reserved in his name until the day of cancellation, which was sent to us by booking.com without knowing who or why it was done with the permission booking.com the same contract, you agreed and signed at the time of booking, allowing the hotel to withdraw from his credit card as a guarantee that you chose and sent us without reserve, on the first night , we regret to read his review, (the only negative) made ​​in a moment of impulsive and inexplicable anger toward us also because unfortunately we could not know and you could not see the daily work we put in our hard work to succeed satisfy all our customers with generosity and helpfulness.
hope that one day the Cinque Terre are a happy memory for you and whether or not you choose us for your future stay you wish to spend beautiful moments in our places.

Delia
Taplow Buckinghamshire
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I've not stayed here but called in on my way back from Central Italy. Arrived by bike having ridden some really great roads up from the coast. The food was really superb and the staff very friendly despite by slightly bedraggled appearance. I so love France and Italy great food, great people and no pretensions

Room Tip: I only ate in their restaurant but would thoroughly recommend it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank 5cottie
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We had an amazing time in this hotel. We arrived late by train and Delia(one of the owners) came to pick us up with no problem. The hotel is a short free shuttle ride(in winter runs till 5:00 pm)from the train station. We stayed in Monterosso just after the unfortunate landslides but still had a wonderful time even though most of the city was shut down. Honestly, we had no problem just relaxing at the hotel while drinking wine and sitting next to the fireplace with" Elvis"( their very cute dog.)The room was very nice and clean, and they provided some nice bath soap and lotion. The bed was also very comfy. You should definitely eat at the restaurant as well, and the pesto pasta is a must! We felt like part of their family, and would/will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Brooke S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We were staying here right when the rains came and the terrible flood/landslide hit Monterosso. Fortunately the hotel is situated high on the hill and was not damaged, however we were stranded in Lavento and unable to return to the hotel overnight. Hotel owners Delia and John were most helpful during this crisis. They were extremely concerned for our safety and assisted us to be able to return to their hotel and then kept us informed about the situation and helped us to plan our transportation out of Monterosso during an extremely difficult time for themselves and their friends and families. The hotel was very comfortable and welcoming, the restaurant is fabulous, even as the drama unfolded a beautiful meal was prepared for ourselves and also the many emergency service personell who had made the hotel a comand post during the emergency.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Linda D
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Monterosso Alto for one night, at the end of an unpleasant day. I'm very happy to say that the inn, the restaurant, and the staff went a long way to restoring a pleasant mood.

As mentioned in previous posts the inn is located at the junction of SP38 & the local road leading "down the hill" to Monterosso al Mare proper. It's not far to the village, but if you've ever traveled the roads in the Cinque Terra you know that there is very little relation between distance and travel time so even though it's only about 5 km., it still takes 20 minutes via the free shuttle to get to town.

The rooms were quite modern and very clean, bathrooms were also nice and clean. I overheard one guest comment (not in a nasty way...more amused than anything) that the rooms looked like they followed the "modern IKEA" motif, but I think that is just a reflection of the modern type of furniture as opposed to the "Holiday Inn" standard you'd find in North America. It didn't detract from the room at all and, in fact, I found it most appealing.

We arrived later in the day, in the early evening. After checking in we decided in favor of an early relaxing meal instead of taking the shuttle in to town...I had the ravioli bolognese and my wife had, if I recall correctly, a penne dish with a cream sauce. Both were homemade and very tasty. The house red wine was local, and quite good. Following the meal I hung around the bar/dining room and talked to the proprietor for a while (he and his wife are a young couple)...got to have my first taste of grappa, which I later described to one of my friends as "like tequila without the nice tequila taste"...and yes, I AM being facetious. Grappa is not to my taste.

Breakfast was pretty typical "continental buffet" fare...fresh breads and some pastries, fruit, juice, cappuccino. I can't recall if there was hot food available for an extra charge - sorry, didn't pay enough attention. The outdoor patio area was nicely decorated and a very pleasant atmosphere for breakfast - it was also a very pleasant place to have a glass of wine or two the evening before.

To summarize, a very nice little inn with friendly and helpful staff. Made our time in the Cinque Terra that much more enjoyable and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: It appeared that at least one room didn't have an attached bath (ours did, but the room next doo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Doug_Bowles
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We only stayed here 1 night...just to get a taste of Cinque Terre. The hotel was about 20 mins away form Monterosso as such but there were local buses and the hotel provided a free shuttle to and from the town. The rooms are on the small side but beautifully furnished and had good bathrooms. There is a great outside seating area for a drink and breakfast. We were given a great recommendation for dinner in Monterosso...the most romantic setting right on the cliff top...amazing to be sitting outside looking at the sea and candles on the steps. The meal was fantastic. We had a car so the free parking was very welcome. The staff were excellent - young and enthusiastic.

Room Tip: Wehad a room at the back. Initially we were concerned about what seemed to ge noise from a generato...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#8 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Villa Adriana
Hotel Villa Adriana
#9 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Monterosso Alto? Share your experiences!