“nice hike upstairs with ocean view”

Church of San Francesco - Capuchin Friars Monastery
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Milan
$94.86*
Monterosso Aperitivo Tour with Local Food and Wine
More attraction details
Owner description: Reconstructed in 1632 after the previous church was destroyed, the Church of San Francesco contains some fine art including a Crucifixion by Van Dyck, two canvases by Flasella, a marble triptych by Domenico Gare (1529) and the Dead Christ from Maragliano. Nera the church there is the Monastery of Capuchin Friars a very ancient structure with great garden where Friars live. It is a place of Peace and spirituality with a gorgeus view on the seaside.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

once you reach the old village, you can lose yourself in the narrow lanes and stairs that go up the hill until you get to the calm and peaceful San Francesco Church.and Convento de Cappuccini.
You can get beautiful views from here and along the way. You can also go up from one side and go down via another pathway, going east/west or vice versa.
There's a painting attributed to Van Dyck, the Crucifixion.
I

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The walk up to the church is great with a wonderful view of the coastline. Do not miss the cemetary near the church, amazing to see how long the people of this region lived.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Village style church with open doors all the time. Didn't attend a service as we were ther during the week but have heard all the locals attend

1  Thank cle000
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My grandfather was born in Monterosso and I've been trying to get there for over 40 years. I finally made it and found it to be stunning. The entire Cinque Terre but specifically Vernazza and Monterosso were everything I could have hoped for. It's hard to decide which views were more impressive, from the water or in town, I had to put this review in for the church only because I couldn't find a Monterosso only topic but I did visit the church, we all lit candles (1 euro each) and said our prayers, we then marched up the hill and saw some nice country (warning - the hike is pretty strenuous!). I'm so glad I finally made it.

1  Thank TonyIdaho
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It has been long time since I went into a church. This time I was attracted by the singing in the church at 9.30 pm. The atmosphere was beautifull, low lighting, beautifull interior.
It wasn't a mass, but the choir having a repition for Pentecost. The Panis Angelicus was very familiar - nostalgia - and I hummed and sung a bit along. They - the ladies - even invited me to come and sing along, which I did a short while. Old feelings coming back. What a warm and welcoming experience!

1  Thank Nanty H