“Nice at half the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Porto Roca

Hotel Porto Roca
Tigard, Oregon
“Nice at half the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

The term suite is used quite creatively, as the suite is a single room with a day bed and a table jammed into an average sized room. The bath is the highlight, with clean ultra-modern showers and plenty of hot water. Our room transmitted every single noise in the hotel directly into our room, and was hard to sleep with so much noise. When we booked, had to acknowledge that changes in the Euro exchange rate might increase the rates, but when the Euro appreciated, we did see any relief on the rates.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
Aurillac, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

I am a travel agent and have used Hotel Porto Roca for clients many times over the last several years. All have been quite happy. I recently had a couple vist who normally stay in very deluxe hotels only - they were a bit nervous about staying in Cinque Terre, because there are really no high-profile hotels in any of the towns. Although they had one of the smallest rooms ("cottage in the garden") at Porto Roca, they were totally entranced by the view, totally charmed by the staff, and very impressed by Monterosso in general

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SF Bay area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and overall the hotel is consistent with its rating and a good value. It is a bit of a hike up the hill but no problem for walkers. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2010

The hotel was in a great location- perched up on top a hill overlooking Monterrosso. Not for the out-of-shape or elderly though- it is quite a climb to the hotel (the age group staying there did seem to be approx 40-50 yrs old). The views from our room were to die for- we had a room on the 3rd level, I'd defintely request one of those 6 rooms available. I don't think I would have enjoyed the hotel half as much with a lower level room. The difference is that the 6 or so top rooms have huge private decks (the decks are almost bigger than the rooms) to sunbathe and relax, the other rooms had very small terraces- if that. The rooms are by no means large though but who needs a large room when you have 5 amazing towns to explore and a hike that is breathtaking and worth every drop of sweat. Breakfast in the morning was typical European- nothing to get excited about, but where you ate has very nice views of the water. The beach chairs that are included in the stay are actually a great plus (most places like Miami, etc would charge $50+ per chair, per day). It is nice that they keep the guest's beach area private from the locals/out -of-towners. We never ate at the restaurant but the menu looked good and some friends said they enjoyed it. As for hiking, the trail runs right below the hotel so it is super convenient to start the journey to Vernazza (if you don't do this hike, don't bother going to the CT. It is truly magical). Having the hotel pick you up in a taxi from the train station is a MUST. Arrange that prior to your stay- I would have found it impossible to haul my luggage that far and up that steep climb unless I was carrying only a backpack. The staff was helpful and very pleasant. On our stay we fell in love with this region of Italy and can't wait to go back!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in the Cinque Terre at Porto Roca and enjoyed it very much.
Our room was extremely comfortable. We had a suite facing the sea, which consisted of a bedroom and adjacent sitting room, a good-sized bathroom and a large balcony which had 2 chaise lounge chairs as well as a small table and 2 chairs. The bed was nice and firm and very comfortable with flat heavy pillows, but when I requested a soft, feather pillow it was supplied immediately. The windows are equipped with shutters and drapes which are perfectly effective for those of us who like to sleep in a very dark room. Climate control in the room was adjustable and quiet. The bathroom was modern and clean with one of those European combined bath/shower/spa units with excellent water pressure. There was a very large closet. Maid service was once a day, no turn down (who cares). In short, although I've been in many more luxurious places, this room was as comfortable, clean, modern and well equipped as one could ask for. It's only drawback was poor internet service.
Breakfast in the dining room has ample choices, you can also have it in your room. Every member of the staff was helpful, polite, welcoming and appropriate. A drink on the outside terrace of the restaurant is a delightful experience, an eqxuisite setting and perfectly mixed cocktails. The hotel has reserved chairs on the lovely beach at the bottom of the hill which we enjoyed in the late afternoon after a day of hiking. It also has a sundeck, but no pool.
We loved the hotel's location, perched above the sea with spectacular views, just a short walk into the center of the delightful town of Monterosso in one direction and right onto the hiking trail in the other direction. A caveat if you have health problems: the walk into town is a short, but steep, paved road.
In short, we felt very lucky we had selected Porto Roca for our stay in the Cinque Terre. If we return to the region we will definitely stay there again.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

I will always have a soft spot for this hotel, as I proposed to my fiance while staying here. But that said, there are probably better value options out there.

PRO's

* A hotel that you can book in advance vs. the many B&Bs in CT
* Probably one of the higher end places in CT
* Beautiful beautiful views - if you can stay here it is probably worth it just to splurge for the view rooms - we did not have a view but I'm sure those rooms are stunning. But the breakfast area, bar, patios all have ridiculous views
* Has access to private beach area (included)
* Free train pick up

CON's

* Pretty expensive for what you get
* Long walk up a steep path from the main town - didn't bother me but I could see others not liking this
* Don't know if this was just our room, but the walls were paper thin - could hear when neighbors were getting busy and they could probably hear us

Overall it is a nice place with beautiful views, and one of the few higher end places in CT - but that said I'd probably start looking elsewhere first (and you should consider staying in Vernazza vs. Monterosso)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Ft Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

After booking through an online booking service, I received an email from someone at the hotel that there was some confusion in the booking and that the room I had booked was not available but they would offer me another room that was on the cliff. I was hesitant at first but I agreed. They assured me that I would be very happy with the reservation and I was.

When we arrived after 2 long days of traveling I was more than pleased. It was just amazing to walk up this room, on the side of the cliff with a breathtaking view of the Mediterranean. The room was in the side of a cliff with our own private terrace. We had even arrived later than expected because we had missed the train we had had planned on taking and even still, we had a taxi from the hotel pick us up from the train station and bring us to the hotel (definately worth not having to walk that - although we did see plenty of people walking from the train station to their various hotels with luggage). My husband had also spoken with the staff at the hotel and had a bottle of wine and cheese and a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting for me. The hotel was also so kind to help my husband arrange a vow renewal with a local church, which was also simply beautiful.

The food (breakfast) was fine and included in the price of the hotel. We did the hike between all the islands and it was stunning, and at times a bit difficult, and we did it in 3.5 hours. We thought it odd to see people with children in strollers on the hike though.

I would highly recommend this hotel. If you go down to the private beach, just make sure you bring proof that you are staying at the hotel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#5 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Porto Roca? Share your experiences!