“Excellent staff, wonderful views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Porto Roca

Hotel Porto Roca
Kensington, Connecticut
“Excellent staff, wonderful views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed on the 3rd floor of this lovely hotel and were extremely happy that we did. The room, although somewhat small had a spectacular huge balcony that overlooked the ocean with panoramic views of Monterossa. The room was immaculate, although the shower was a bit small for my 6'3" husband, but he managed. The staff was exceptional and tried very hard to meet our every need. One evening after a late night dinner, my husband and I arrived back at the hotel (after midnight) and inquired about getting a gelato. Presco, who was tending bar, made sure that he personally delivered it to our room, with a smile. The next morning at breakfast and at dinner the same evening we were waited on by Presco again who made sure we were well taken care of. We utilized the private beach pass, which included 2 chairs and an umbrella, and were glad we did. Unlike some other reviewers who thought this hotel was over priced, I tend to disagree. Maybe they didn't have the view we had, which I'm sure would have changed my opinion of the hotel, but we loved it here. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

For me I can't imagine paying this price unless you upgrade to an ocean front room. For me this was the only reason to pay this price because the actual room, although nice and clean, was simple and not 5 star. That being said, I was comfortable in my room and have no actual complaints, it just simply that price is not justified for what you get if you take away the ocean view which was FABULOUS. For the limited time I was in the room it was all spent on the balcony and for me that was worth it so it all depends on your needs. I thought the access to the private beach and chairs (which cost a lot of money otherwise) was also a huge plus.

I had a small customer service incident with one of the employees who I confronted and tried to raise to a manager, but they simply were still defending this employee which annoyed me immensely, but other than this the rest of the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful.

I think the most important thing to note about this place is the walk up. I think if there are people who are not in shape, older, etc may need to consider that this place is a steep climb up from the ground level. Obviously the Cinque Terre itself is not a flat leveled place, but I saw a lot of people having trouble with this climb daily so think it's useful to highlight.

All in all, I have recommended this hotel to others since my return and I would easily stay here again if revisiting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GinaTravels18
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have just spent 7 nights in room 105 at Hotel Porto Roca and loved it. The room was plenty big enough with enough drawers and wardrobe space for a 7 night stay, the beautiful bathroom looked like it had just been renovated, the hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff were very helpful, the view over the ocean and down to the village was wonderful and breakfast on the patio was a great start to each day. A ticket was provided for unlimited swimming and deck chairs at the beach and there was complimentary pick up to and from the railway station. We thoroughly enjoyed many walks, exploring the five villages and eating great seafood at some of the many lovely restaurants and would highly recommend a Cinque Terre holiday to anyone thinking about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite with balcony and sea view
1 Thank Gromit28
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at Porto Roca for 3 nights. We loved our time in Monterosso, however the prices at this hotel are nowhere close to being justifiable. It is basically a simple 3 star hotel that just happens to be in a perfect location. If we had a chance to do it all over again, we definitely would have put more effort into finding a more suitably priced place to stay. Breakfast is decent, however given the price I was shocked to see that real juices and omelettes cost extra.

Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Porto Roca has a great location if you want to explore the Cinque Terre. Hiking path to Vernazza (90 minutes) is located near the hotel so it is not necessary to use a car or public transport. Hiking path Vernazza to Corniglia very scenic (90 minutes). Admission to park with use of train was EUR 10 per day. Hotel staff were courteous and made useful suggestions about hiking routes. We were provided with maps of the area and train and boat timetables. We had a room with breakfast with a large terrace comprising two deck chairs, two sun beds and a table, on the third floor with a beautiful view of the bay. Breakfast was good with possibility of having cappuccino instead of filter coffee. Hotel is not cheap but well worth the location and view. Getting to the hotel a bit problematic. Need to leave car in car park (EUR 15 per day) in the neighbouring village, Monterosso-Figina, and get taxi. Tunnel to Monterosso al Mare is closed for traffic so baggage needs to be unloaded and carried through tunnel. At the other end we had hotel shuttle waiting for us. Plenty of good fish restaurants in the village. Boat connection to Cinque Terre in bay and train connection in Monterosso-Figina via tunnel. Hotel guests can use deck chairs on public beach in sector reserved for hotel. Water quality was, however, not good. Recommend boat trip to Porto Venere with possibility of exploring three islands included in price of ticket (EUR 27). In June trails were crowded as were villages in the Cinque Terre. Recommend good hiking boots for trails.

Room Tip: Take room on third floor with big terrace. We stayed in room 305.
Sedalia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I just spend 2 weeks touring Italy. We spent 3 nights at the Porto Roca and could not have asked for a better location, view, experience, etc. Yes, the walk up the hill is not for the faint of heart; however, the wonderful people at the hotel are more than happy to give you a ride. It is a fantastic way to work off all of the incredible pasta/seafood there is to eat in Monterossa al Mare. The hotel staff recommended three different places for dinner in town and we would eat at each of them again given the chance. This is THE place to stay in the area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Walpole, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We recently returned from 2 weeks in Italy and had a great experience at the Porto Roca. While our room was small it was very clean. We did not have a balcony but did have a fantastic view from the terrace. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good with a broad selection. The walk up the hill was good exercise with all the food and wine. Cinque Terre was amazing. We would definitely recommend the Porto Roca.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterosso al Mare
#3 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel La Spiaggia
Hotel La Spiaggia
#6 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare

Been to Hotel Porto Roca? Share your experiences!