“awful breakfast”

Affittacamere Anita
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The staff were not friendly and generally unhelpful. The breakfast was not edible. A poor selection of fruit and never had any youghurt ( they would always say they had just run out) . The beds were also cots pushed together to make a double bed. The only good thing is the price .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew W
There are newer reviews for Affittacamere Anita

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We drove into Monterosso (a feat in itself) and then proceeded to take half an hour to find the hotel as there is no signage to indicate its location.
We were met at reception by a dishevelled looking gentleman and after several minutes of gesticulation it was understood that we had rooms booked (there were two couples) for three nights. Although we were expecting two separate rooms, there seemed to be some mixup and instead we had to follow this gentleman several blocks away to another hotel. We were given a two bedroom, self-contained unit. We understood that we would have to walk back to the place where we booked in to have breakfast each morning. Thankfully, it didn't rain during our stay.
The unit itself was reasonably spacious, but only one bathroom and toilet. The furniture, crockery, cutlery, glassware and decor (or lack of it) swept us back into the 1950's.
The one jewel in the crown was that we had a washing machine (something you die for after travelling out of suitcases for a month on the road). However, once loaded with clothes we could not get it started. Around we went to reception only to find no one was on duty. Several hours later we had success and an employee (no English) came around and got the machine going.
Upon our return from a little sightseeing our clothes had been washed but we couldn't open the door to get them out. We left them there until the next morning when at breakfast we tried valiantly to describe our dilemma. Luckily, one of the breakfast staff spoke very good English, so by the afternoon he had come and fixed the problem - although the washing machine door would need replacing.
At no time during our stay was there any real attempt made by management to make us feel welcome or to enquire about how we were enjoying our stay at the hotel.
The breakfasts were very, very ordinary.
Cinque Terre is a beautiful place to visit and everywhere in Italy that we went we were greeted with warm hospitality and friendliness.
We certainly loved the country and the people we met.
This experience was a one-off for us - but it did take the "gloss off" our time in Monterosso.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Phillip8789
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had booked this place early this summer and after reading the August reviews I was a bit nervous and even contemplated cancelling the accommodation. The good news is that I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Check in was at La Pineto (?) restaurant, which is where you would have breakfast the next morning, and the rooms are just next doors. The location is superb as it was just a quick 5 min walk from the Monterosso train station and the beach. We even had a little bit of an ocean view from of small balcony. Amenities were just basic and breakfast was good with a variety of items to choose from and fresh fruit. Only tip I would give you is to make sure to exterminate all insects and mosquitoes before going to bed otherwise you risk waking up to sores all over your body since it seems that insects in Italy are extremely vicious! Would I stay here again? Sure, for the 100 euros a night its not that bad compared to the exuberantly priced hotels in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yaroslav K
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The first night the hotel was over-booked( as in they book us for 2 people for 2 nights and we had 4 people for 4 nights) so the shirtless older Italian man that was checking us in with a unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth, told us to "Come with me." Then he walked slowly out of the hotel and past all of our luggage and he grabbed his bicycle and lead us a quarter of a mile along the boardwalk to his friends hotel. Then we had to hauled all of our luggage back the next day and up five flights of stairs, no lift,to a fan cooled room.The windows were open directly to a busy street and an open aired movie theatre, so it was really loud! The room was ok until the second afternoon when during nap time the ceiling fan crashed onto my friend in the bed where my two year old had just been a few minutes before. The hotel seemed slightly concerned/amused and did not have another room for us and they did not have any sense of urgency on fixing the problem. I told them it was way too hot to not have a fan or AC, so they dragged this portable AC into our room. It had a tube attached to it and then they stuck the tube out the wide open window and said there you go and walked out. All this did was make the room feel like a sauna. I then told them I was checking out and not staying through the rest of our reservation and with some argument from them I got a measly 40 Euro discount for all of the trouble. I went around the corner and got an awesome room with a lift and AC for just a little more. Do not book here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan M
Reviewed August 12, 2012

From the first moment to the last this 'hotel' - I would rename it a Hostel - was utterly breathtakingly shambolic. Set in the beautiful Monterosso in Cinque Terre, we had to ignore our hotel experience entirely in order to enjoy our time here.

We arrived last Wednesday early evening to be told the water was not working in our room and that we must go to another hotel nearby. The explanation was poor and unconvincing as we, mother and daughter, trundled after the downtrodden husband to the other hotel. He did not offer to help us with our bags as we followed his back to the Spiaggia Hotel on the seafront where hot, tired and startled we were given a tiny but clean and modern room for the night. It was only by talking to the owner of this hotel that I understood that Anita had double-booked our room so sent us next door - apparantly she did this most days. She asked us to go back the next day but we couldn't have our room until midday. Her dishonesty amazed me.

I wasn't prepared to allow this to ruin our holiday, so we left our luggage safely at the Spiaggia and had a great day walking the area. When we got back we were told that Anita had come in and phoned several times and was looking for us and why hadn't we informed them? So, she had lied to us, not given us a room we had booked several months before on the internet via Booking.com and now she was cross with us for not letting her know what time we would be taking up our room that she should have given us the day before.

We turned up at about 5 to be shown to our room in the annex by the speechless husband. The entrance and hallway was quite frankly a dump - much more what you would expect at a hostel than a hotel. The room itself was acceptable and had a view to the sea over a carpark.
We had a lovely time despite Anita and her husband.

As I queued to pay on the last morning, she was talking on the phone while taking a payment from other guests. When it came to me she just said the figure I owed her and put it into the payment machine. When I had paid I told her for her own benefit that the aircon had packed up in the middle of the night - we were hot and didn't sleep well. She started asking me accusing questions about how long had I left it on for and what had I done for it to break. She then called her very charming male employee who was friendly and made us delicious cappucino that morning to come and translate. She was barking questions, he was translating and I started to get really angry. Why are you asking me these questions like it is my fault when all I was doing was politely informing them for the benefit of their next guests that the aircon had stopped working? She then came to our room, walked in and started to check the airconditioning during our last 10 minutes in the hotel. Zero charm, zero professionalism - she and her downtrodden husband are in the wrong trade.

I would not recommend you chance this hotel unless out of season the price reduces to better suit a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of August. I struggled to find accommodation in Cinque Terre generally at the time of booking because of it being peak season. I therefore did not arrive at Anita with the highest expectations.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by an Italian man who spoke very little English. He showed us to an apartment which was about a five minute walk from the main building. We had not expected to be in an apartment. The apartment had no air conditioning and the fridge was turned off and contained some out of date bacon which was not pleasant. We were told at check in that we may have to change rooms on our second night.

Breakfast was ok and was better on the second morning. The fresh coffee was great and there was a selection of some fruit, bread, croissants cereal and boiled eggs.

After breakfast on our first day, we were told by Anita that we needed to move rooms. This was annoying as we had to pack everything and move to a different building again, even further from where we first we. The second room however was much better than the first, with air conditioning and a clean light room with a nice bathroom. We also had a great see view. If we had been put in this room to start with, my impression of this accommodation would have been much better,

This accommodation comprises a number of different rooms and apartments which Anita rents out from other people. Therefore, the accommodation is dotted all over town. One positive is that the main desk for check in is only 5 minutes walk from the train station.

Whilst staying here, we did the hike to the other 4 villages which was absolutely stunning, although a bit of a physical challenge - take lots of water!

Monterosso and Cinque Terre are amazing and I would strongly recommend a visit. However, I would look at other accommodation over this. Also, during our stay in 5 places in Italy, this was by far the worst accommodation we stayed in yet the most expensive!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We booked this hotel over a month in advance, using my credit card. We booked through Expedia, so we believed it was a safe choice. First, the hotel was hard to find, no sign that said hotel, but a restaurant sign with a similar name to the hotel lead us there, and yes it was the hotel. The staff spoke poorly English, and when we showed them our reservation they looked at each other like "ooops-what do we do?". They talked together in Italian, and then they said that our booking had been cancelled. At first they didn't seem to have an explanation, then said that my credit card didn't go through when we booked. This is the most silly excuse I've heard. Everything was confirmed through Expedia when we booked, and also a confirmation was sent from Expedia the day before our arrival, saying everything was good to go. This e-mail also said that my credit card would be charged by the hotel upon check out. As I showed this e-mail to the hotel staff, they just shook their heads, just showing ignorance. I knew there was nothing wrong with my credit card, so I knew they was just making it up, probably realizing they had double booked or something. If they had been honest with us instead of blaming the error on us, it would probably have been more easy to accept, but this was the most outrageous way I've ever been treated by a hotel.
They showed us another hotel nearby that had a room available. This hotel had a lovely staff, but did not have air condition like the one we had booked, and it was more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple