“OK but could be so much better”

Affittacamere Anita
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of August. I struggled to find accommodation in Cinque Terre generally at the time of booking because of it being peak season. I therefore did not arrive at Anita with the highest expectations.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by an Italian man who spoke very little English. He showed us to an apartment which was about a five minute walk from the main building. We had not expected to be in an apartment. The apartment had no air conditioning and the fridge was turned off and contained some out of date bacon which was not pleasant. We were told at check in that we may have to change rooms on our second night.

Breakfast was ok and was better on the second morning. The fresh coffee was great and there was a selection of some fruit, bread, croissants cereal and boiled eggs.

After breakfast on our first day, we were told by Anita that we needed to move rooms. This was annoying as we had to pack everything and move to a different building again, even further from where we first we. The second room however was much better than the first, with air conditioning and a clean light room with a nice bathroom. We also had a great see view. If we had been put in this room to start with, my impression of this accommodation would have been much better,

This accommodation comprises a number of different rooms and apartments which Anita rents out from other people. Therefore, the accommodation is dotted all over town. One positive is that the main desk for check in is only 5 minutes walk from the train station.

Whilst staying here, we did the hike to the other 4 villages which was absolutely stunning, although a bit of a physical challenge - take lots of water!

Monterosso and Cinque Terre are amazing and I would strongly recommend a visit. However, I would look at other accommodation over this. Also, during our stay in 5 places in Italy, this was by far the worst accommodation we stayed in yet the most expensive!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Affittacamere Anita

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We booked this hotel over a month in advance, using my credit card. We booked through Expedia, so we believed it was a safe choice. First, the hotel was hard to find, no sign that said hotel, but a restaurant sign with a similar name to the hotel lead us there, and yes it was the hotel. The staff spoke poorly English, and when we showed them our reservation they looked at each other like "ooops-what do we do?". They talked together in Italian, and then they said that our booking had been cancelled. At first they didn't seem to have an explanation, then said that my credit card didn't go through when we booked. This is the most silly excuse I've heard. Everything was confirmed through Expedia when we booked, and also a confirmation was sent from Expedia the day before our arrival, saying everything was good to go. This e-mail also said that my credit card would be charged by the hotel upon check out. As I showed this e-mail to the hotel staff, they just shook their heads, just showing ignorance. I knew there was nothing wrong with my credit card, so I knew they was just making it up, probably realizing they had double booked or something. If they had been honest with us instead of blaming the error on us, it would probably have been more easy to accept, but this was the most outrageous way I've ever been treated by a hotel.
They showed us another hotel nearby that had a room available. This hotel had a lovely staff, but did not have air condition like the one we had booked, and it was more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Location is good if you like to be close to the beach and trainstation.

Here is what's bad about this hotel.
*Bad breakfast. Eggs at breakfast was cold and the yolk was all grey. Disgusting. We thought maybe they wanted us to eat the old eggs first but when someone had the last old egg they didn´t have more. And that was it. They didn´t offer to go buy more either even though the store was just 50 m away. The same was with the yoghurt, there were two left when we came, all bana flavoured (which is always the last ones cause nobody likes them). Still, when I asked if they had more they sad no. And that was it.

* The worst service I ever had. When we arrived the woman in the reception was really unpleasent. She didn't even try to speak english and she kept answering her cellphone while we were talking to her. The woman in thr reception didn't even inform us about checkout-time or breakfast time. I had to ask her about everything.

We had booked a room with air conditioning and the first thing we were told was there was none in our room. Instead she wanted to put us in her brothers apartment way up in the forest without breakfast. We weren't allowed to look at that place though. We had to decide there at the spot and could not change our mind. We took the room without air conditioning. But that was not the worst. Our "room" was located wall to wall with a restaurant kitchen and an outside movie theatre (horror movies). So short: It was hot and loud all night. Not even my earplugs could help.

Moterosso is lovely. But I would definitly reccommend another Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Got this hotel from Booking.com, and our room was supposed to be at the main building without breakfast. Was surprised when the lady at the desk (owner) gave us a coupon for breakfast for two days (our stay) and a studio apartment off the main building.
It was a nice cosy place with a mini kitchen and two queen beds (one at the same level, the other at the attic connected through a narrow wooden staircase).
Real close to the Monterosso beach and the train station to connect to the other villages at Cinque Terre.
The breakfast was another restaurant which had a lot of B's in it's name I couldn't memorise (once you are there keep an eye on the restaurant's and the name that resembles Barbossa the most is the one you are looking for.) Breakfast there was yum if you reach at about 8. The later you go, the less you get.
The place does not run as a hotel but a lodge, and cleaning everyday apparently is not the norm but we were okay with it. The chap at the reception gave us the famous Cinque Terre lemons that we ate with the fish we cooked at the room. There is a small supermarket very close to the hotel.
At checkout the lady gave us a rebate of 10 Euros partly because we were paying cash, but mostly because I gave her a puss in boots look and said the word discount. No harm in trying I guess. :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Perkydoc
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My daughter and I booked here from online and did not know what to expect. We were so pleasantly surprised. The room could not be better. We were on the 3rd floor and our windows opened up to the view of the beach and the sound of the water. The room looks like it was just renovated everything was so fresh; it had a flat screen tv, and a great "rain shower" head in the bathroom. The woman and her husband who maintained the rooms were very nice. The location was wonderful. I would love to come back to this beautiful place.

Room Tip: the room on the right on the 3rd floor as you enter. It looks right out to the beach! You do walk u...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Hotel is close to the beach, train station and restaurants. The rooms are very clean. Unfortunately the walls are thin so voices from other rooms/hallways/decks are quite noticeable. Amazing breakfast buffet and coffee/latte bar make the room price even more reasonable. Anita was friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request the corner room with patio
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Taunya_from_Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Owner rude and not avaiable. Very simple rooms. Breakfast poor. Location Good but not In The main Beach.

• Stayed: September 2011