“Good location, but...”

Description: Closed Wednesday and from December to March
Guangzhou, China
“Good location, but...”
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

A little disappointed, have been suggested by locals to dine here but:
- food was average
- service was so so
- very overpriced
Would not suggest other people to dine here

1 Thank caplee79

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We ate here twice during our 3 ays in Monterosso.
The first was on our first day for lunch. We were wandering along and found, what we thought was a small restaurant with a few tables free. We later realised that this was only a little part of the restaurant and it was quite large. We had a nice lunch at a very reasonable price and in a decent amount of time. We were never rushed and were made to feel quite comfortable.
The second time it was for dinner and we sat at the front of the restaurant, much better for people watching. Once again the food was very nice. The waiter was more friendly this time not that he was surley the first time but I think he was a little more rushed then as we were sitting almost at the back of the restaurant the first time around.
We had another great night in a great little town.
I loved Monterosso and I will eat here again when we return

• Visited June 2012
Athens, Greece
“Very good food - very busy restaurant”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We asked a local lady and sent us there and we thank her for this! The food was very good and more than enough!
Very well coked and money well spent!
I suggest it for the area!

Busy restaurant! I suggest that you book before you go!

The staff are not very friendly but..... the reward was at the food!

San Diego, California
“Out of this World Dining Experience!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We asked the owner of the hotel where we were staying to make reservations at the restaurant across the "street" from Ciak's (we had seen it while on a walk) for us but he insisted that Ciak's was much better while also less expensive. We initially thought it must be some sort of "kick back" from this restaurant to the hotel...were we ever wrong! He ABSOLUTELY pointed us in the right direction to a place he eats at himself - and he is a local through and through.

After traveling to 10 different countries in Europe this trip alone - this honestly was the best dining experience we have ever had - especially at this price point (1 place in Austria was as good - but twice the price!)

I am shocked by the negative reviews from other contributors! We ended up going two nights back to back because we knew if we went somewhere else, we would be longing for Ciak's the whole time.

First - anyone who says that the seafood wasn't fresh or amazing to eat (and to look at) is out of their mind.

Second - both nights the service was great. Admittedly, the 2nd night was a little off because the waiter spoke mostly Spanish (huh?) and didn't understand a lot of my hubby's Italian. We worked through it and he was very nice regardless, albeit slightly confused. We had reservations at 7 when they were less busy (by 8 the place was filled) and had more than 1 person helping to serve us.

Ciak came out and greeted us each evening and then worked diligently at all times otherwise. We found the kitchen area and the ability to hear Ciak and the waiter's banter back and forth VERY CHARMING. We sat inside both nights just so we could have this experience. The look on the pedestrian's faces that were walking by the windows were priceless when they caught a glimpse of our meals. More than one group stopped in and ate after seeing our meals.

As far as the Sitting Fee that the other reviewer referred to, IT WAS STATED CLEARLY ON THE MENU - IN ENGLISH and every restaurant we ate in Monterosso charges a sitting fee but few of them tell you so on the menu. There is very little tipping in this part of the world - the sitting fee seems necessary and was much less than the 15 - 20% that is expected in the States for a tip. I must say that we were so impressed with the service that we did tip more than was customary and the waiters were very grateful.

The appetizer experience is a MUST! It really is a combination of every thing that was in the glass case along the wall plus a couple more from the kitchen- around 10 different plates of every kind of seafood imaginable. All in just (1) 20 euro order! The first night 5 of us enjoyed it and the second night there was even enough for 7 of us in (1) order! What a deal. I tried things I would never just order - and LOVED THEM!

Between both nights, we tried most of the menu items and not one was bad. We did not try the pesto (which another reviewer commented negatively on) but EVERYTHING we tried was PERFECT. The portions were so large, it ended up being almost family style dining with everyone trying everyone else's dish straight out of the large ceramic cooking pots that are left on the table. I truly have never had Risotto so good in my life. My 10 year old thought it was the best dish ever and he is a little picky. If you do not like your fresh shrimp with the heads on them, you might not be a fan - we thought it was great. They did taste like lobster - buttery, a little salty, and very rich in sea flavor. Again, PERFECT.

The bill for 5 people was 146 euro and this included a bottle of great local wine, soda, 2 large bottled waters, the appetizer platter as explained above, a large salad, AND 5 entrees (plus the sitting fee - i assume). I was so SHOCKED AT THE LOW PRICE, I did not examine the bill closely enough to see if they charged the sitting fee for all of us. We paid 100 Euro more in France for so much less that I almost wanted to go back to France and ask for a refund at the restaurants there.

In summary, I can recommend this place without hesitation. THIS IS A DINING EXPERIENCE.

Chicago, Illinois
“Delicious but expensive”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A friend recommended we try out this restaurant. We got into Monterosso pretty late but stumbled upon the restaurant and were able to get last minute 'reservations' inside (outside seating was already full). I ordered the gnocchi with pesto, which was incredible. My husband had spaghetti with clams and mussels, which he liked, as well. We cleared our plates! We ordered a bottle of local wine, Forlini Cappellini, which we were able to take with us when we didn't finish it at dinner. Chef Ciak was cooking while we were there, which was pretty cool. Beware that this restaurant charges a sitting fee and that the service is mediocre at best (lots of waiting). We paid 58 Euro for 2 entrees and a bottle of wine.