“Sensational Views!”
Review of Vandiris

and 1 more site!
Vandiris
Reviewed January 25, 2014

After trying to reserve a number of places in Cinque Terre, we were able to get in Vandiris #5. This is not an apartment, but the room did have a kettle and mini fridge. The room itself was just fine, but felt a bit like a dorm room between the furnishings and decor. But it was more than adequate for a place to stay. What the room did have, and I think may have had above any other room in Manarola, was the most incredible view! We had a very skinny balcony, with a table and two chairs, off of our room. From the room we could see the train station and the expanse of the Mediterranean. Looking down below was essentially down the cliff-side. We witnessed some of the most incredible sunsets and moonlit nights. And all night there was the sound of crashing waves. We would highly recommend staying here! (Not sure of the views of the other rooms, so make sure to check that out.)

Room Tip: Room 5 has private balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Irishmobile
There are newer reviews for Vandiris

Reviewed October 30, 2013

A group of us stayed in 3 Vandiris rooms in late September 2013 for our entire Cinque Terre trip. Originally tried to book Arpaiu (as did most of the others commenting) but it was full, so Vandiris was suggested. Same woman manages both. The rooms all look out on the sea, with beautiful views. This is not a hotel, just rooms, so there wasn't daily maid or towel service, nor was there breakfast included. Small refrigerator in room, so you could store breakfast foods if desired, but the pastries and espresso shops in town were perfect spots for dining and people watching. The rooms are very quiet because the place is at the end of the road. Just the sound of the sea, and the occasional train at night, and it isn't loud. Two of us had to spend the last evening other accommodations, and even though we couldn't see the station from those rooms, we could feel and hear the train rumble each time it went by.
Room 1, on ground floor, opens up onto a public terrace, but it's at the end of a road, and no traffic. We had a fabulous picnic on that terrace of food and wine we'd picked up, just gazing at the sea, the full moon and the stars.
Room 4 is upstairs, same great view, very large bathroom by European standards. Yes, the toilet seat is tall--height reminds me of the accessible toilet seats they give people after knee replacement surgery. Room 5 had a small balcony looking out to sea as well. Room 5 also had ants in the room, but I think that's because a previous occupant left food in the room when they left. (It was still there when we checked in.) The cleaning lady, when notified, sprayed the room.
We arrived late in the day, and manager had given us instructions on how to reach the place. No problem finding it. Keys were in the door as promised.
WiFi problem initially, but once we found the router, we turned it off & back on, and WiFi ready to go. WiFi signal is much better on ground floor rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank rockystuff
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 6 nights in Vandiris. I attemped to get accommodation at Arpaiu but there was none availabe and Debora recommended Vandiris as another establishment that she manages. Am I pleased that she did! We were lucky enough to get Room N3 - the one with the large terrace. The room was large and very comfortable and the view is unbelieveable. I would absolutely recommend Vandiris.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert B
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon, and it was our best experience in Italy.

After weeks of trying to book a room in Cinque Terre (most were full, or just not what we wanted), I came across Vandiris. It seemed very new with little info online, but it had the view we were looking for.

The owner's office is in Apairu B & B down the lane and she didn't meet us when we arrived, but her directions to get there were very clear, and we had no problem finding it on our own. The room was large, with a mini-fridge, comfy bed, and a balcony with the most incredible view you can imagine. The balcony is quite small but a chair can fit, or you can just sit on the bed with the door open and admire the perfect panorama of the sea in front of you. I honestly felt we had the best view in town, since it was the last hotel on the street, and faced the Manarola train station and cliffs to the left, and the town and coastline to the right.

There was no breakfast here but it's fine since there are many cheap places (my favorite: the focaccia shops) in town, and it's only a 5-10 minute walk. Many of the hiking trails between towns were still closed from the storm in 2012, so we took the train to Riomaggiaore, but the high trail to Corniglia was still open, and offers phenomenal views and paths through terraced vineyards. It took about 2.5 hours to Corniglia.

Room Tip: We had room #2, which seemed to be at the end. It looked onto a small viewing platform at the end of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nickkembel
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 2 at Vandiris for 2 nights while traveling through Italy.
The room offered great value. It was very clean, had a comfortable bed, a large spotless bathroom, and a spectacular view.
The wifi was not functioning at Vandiris while we were there, so the owner gave us access to her other property (arpaiu) that is nearby to use the wifi there.
The room has a small balcony overlooking the sea.
The train station is nearby and you can hear each train as it passes by, but this is common all over the Cinque Terre.
Overall, we enjoyed out stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here our last two nights in Italy. We stayed in room 2. It was a great room. There is no air conditioning, but that was not a problem since the ocean breeze comes right in (the highs were around 80 F). The room and the bathroom are spacious, with a small refrigerator to keep food and drinks in. There is a small balcony with a table and 2 chairs, which provides spectacular views of the cliffs and ocean. You can hear the train, but it is not a big deal. My wife and I slept just fine.

I have two minor complaints: 1) the toilet is set a little high and is slightly uncomfortable (as toilets go) and 2) the wifi does not reach all the way into the room. There is a wifi area in the downstairs area, but the signal is so faint that I could not use it in my room (this could be easily fixed with a signal booster of one sort or another).

The woman who runs the place (as well as the B&B Arpaiu) is not terribly clear on when she will meet you, but it was not problem. She provided the information needed to access the room, and all the paper work and payments were finished in a relatively timely manner. And she let my wife and I leave our luggage at Vandiris while we went into town to grab breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jerrod A
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I decided to splurge on our stay in Manarola and we wanted a room with a view. And what a view! We got Room 3 which had a private balcony with en-suite facilities and a tiny kettle was provided for some hot drinks. I think there was some tea/coffee sachets provided too.

We also managed to hang some clothes to dry at the balcony.

We were left on our own, keys were already hanging on the lock when we arrived and we just left the keys on the bed as instructed when we left. I only went to meet the owner in a nearby hotel to make payment on the second day. It wasn't a problem for us but if you constantly need to have someone around for assistance, you might want to find out the hours the owner is available.

It's a slight climb uphill but perhaps anywhere in Cinque Terre would require a bit of a climb.

Room Tip: Only Room 3 has the private balcony which faces the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lkjn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manarola
Hotel Marina Piccola
#1 of 18 in Manarola
Hostel Cinque Terre
Hostel Cinque Terre
#17 of 17 in Manarola

Been to Vandiris? Share your experiences!