“Simple,Clean,Good beds!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hostel Cinque Terre
Pretoria .South Africa
“Simple,Clean,Good beds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Ostello was a very good place where to rest after exploring the area.The room was simple ,without any luxury or decoration.But was very clean(bathroom included),excellently heated and the beds were very comfortable. The restaurant ,down stairs offered a nice variety of dishes and for an extremely good price.Breakfast were very abundant and tasty.
Staff was helpful.On the negative side we thought the 5 mim hot shower and the look out could be a problem ,but while we there,we realized the time of hot water was more than enough (even for a teen) and the look out did not affected because we where busy during the day.Do not expect to spend time in your room chilling or reading ,it is a great please and value for money to just GO TO SLEEP and maybe eat at the restaurant (you can chill there).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Lilian64

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jan Juc, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

Before arriving at ostello cinque terre, I was concerned about all the rules in force...but once I arrived I found they worked perfectly with the surrounding environment. The manager here is one of the friendliest people I have met on my adventures around Europe. He offered great advice about the area, gave me a big cuddle on my birthday and remembered who everyone was. The pesto was the best I tasted on the Cinque Terre and the hostel is the perfect place to meet other single travelers. It was also a great base for the best 5 days of my travels. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank katecameback
Vancouver Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

This hostel provided a great home base for me while hiking and exploring the Cinque Terre region. The hostel does not have much of a social scene, but based on their target clientele I don’t believe this is what the hostel is going for. The daily lock out can be a bit of annoyance if your exhausted or if you forgot something at the hostel, but really I guarantee you will easily be able to fill your day with stuff todo without having this as a big hindrance. The hostel does have strict list of rules and expectations of their guest, but they are not unreasonable and if you abide by them you will have no issues. I had heard some people had issues with the hostel keeping your passport during your stay and you must keep your key at the reception when you leave, but I found this actually not a bad thing because you are much less likely to have either of these items stolen or lost if they have them in their very safe possession, again if this is not for you don’t stay here.
This hostel is not a youth party hostel and is not for everyone, but it does provide an inexpensive, clean and fairly peaceful place to stay while exploring an absolutely gorgeous area of Italy. I would say it is ideal for couples or families, while a solo or younger traveller may have problems meeting people or socializing if that is what they are going for.

Pros:
-very clean facilities and rooms
-great inexpensive in house restaurant
-wifi, computer and printer services available
-helpful staff
-a good location and starting point for exploring cinque terre
-maps and area resources available at front desk
-laundry facilities available
-an extremely green and environmental friendly hostel
-luggage storage areas
-linen included

Cons:
-room lock out from 10-4
-hostel is closed and guest are locked out from 1-4
-breakfast not included
-not a lot of electric outlets in rooms
-must pay for wifi and computer services
-curfew on hostel, must be in at 1 am during peak season and cannot leave hostel until 7am, not a huge deal but plan accordingly!! They are VERY strict on this
-you only get a 5 minute shower token per day, more may be purchased at an additional charge, again not a huge deal, just be aware of your time in the shower, getting stuck covered with soap and no water sucks

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank briesmie
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was wavering between a 4 and a 5 for this review, as this hostel does have some minor drawbacks: i.e., rooms are very small, 5-min. showers, and some rather inflexible rules. However, I took a poll of my children and there were more 5's than 4's, so I guess you'd call this a 4+.

Here's what we LOVED:
- the location and the fantastic view (although it's a bit of a hike up the hill)
- the friendly people who run the place
- the food: we ate dinner there and the pasta was fantastic! Also enjoyed breakfast, although the rules could have been more clear (each person was supposed to choose between about 3 items, but we weren't clear on which items everyone could have)

The short showers were not a problem for my husband and me, but did present a challenge for our daughters -- but a good challenge. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay here and would return.

Our family of 6 stayed in a 6-person dorm

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank tarredon
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I just left today after staying there 3 nights - and I will not forget my experience. It was absolutely fantastic and such a great place to meet new people.

Location - very close (roughly 300m) to the Manarola train station. Less than a 5 minute walk, granted your walking up a slope.

Hostel facilities - clean, clean and CLEAN! Best hostel around. Clean linens, sheets and towels. Every one is given a free shower coin for 5 minutes. If you want another 5 minutes, you will need to purchase one for €0.50 (not bad at all). Lots of books and free games that you can borrow.

Hostel employees - The people who worked there were absolutely fantastic - Gino, Niccola, Ricardo and Maximilliano. Great people and they were very understanding and willing to talk with me in my broken Italian. Their English is impeccable too - even better than those of some hotel workers in Rome.

Rules - The rules are fairly easy to follow. You have to be back before 1am (very reasonable). This is a hostel and because of this there is shared accomodation. It is expected as a resident that you behave in a way that does not cause any offence to your roommates. I found my roommates very fascinating and I loved chatting and learning about their travels. It is closed between 10am and 4pm, which again is fairly acceptable. You will have to give your passport on check-in, but I have not heard any bad remark from anyone on this.

Food - great organic breakfast! Oh did I mention their food was fantastic!!! Their pasta and lasagna was out of this world, and it is much cheaper than what you would get in restaurants nearby.

All in all, I had a fantastic stay here. I know where to stay if I do visit Cinque Terre again. Ciao Ricardo, Niccola, Gino and Maximilliano.

VJ

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Vijayesh N
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I can't believe anyone would say a bad thing about this place! It was amazing. We had a private room with a private bath - large, clean, comfortable. They rules are definitely not unreasonable and who wouldn't abide by those restrictions anyway, anywhere?! Who needs more than a five minute shower?! The curfew of 1:00 a.m. is not unreasonable. The linens were fresh and towel rental, both bath and beach, was 1.50 eu. The front desk was extremely helpful and accomodating. I didn't find it a problem that they retained our passports - it wasn't the first time I had incountered this during our trip thru Europe. I can't imagine why anyone would need to be at the hostel between 10-4 anyway (I supposed bad weather could be a factor). There is a minimal fee for in-room wifi of .50 euro. The value was incredible and I can't wait to go back - I would choose this hostel over any hotel in the area. It was ideal.

Room Tip: Book for summer EARLY! Matter of fact, don't book-I'll take the room!