“Rude, Angry and Unhelpful”
Review of La Torretta

La Torretta
Ranked #1 of 18 Manarola B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2006

We booked our reservation with La Torretta via email and were very excited to stay in the Cinque Terre. We arrived to check in and our troubles began. First we were shown to a room that was not the room we were promised in the e mail that I traded with the owner. Then, we are travelling with a 3 1\2 pound Maltese Dog, the woman who checked us in told us we could not stay there with our dog. Now that is not that outrageous really, as some hotels prefer not to have dogs. The woman at the front counter, who apparently has an issue with Americans, called the owner, who confirmed that we could not stay there. In the process she made several very disparaging remarks about us being Americans and she became even more rude. At this point it was 7:30 in the evening and we were in Manarola in August with nowhere to stay (we had made our reservation two months in advance) I offered to pay a dog fee and was refused. We were very dissapointed and in a bind, they simply turned us away and offered no help. I have not been treated this poorly by even my worst enemies, If you are an American, they seem to have pre-conceived notions of who we are, and you might want to avoid them and stay with Angelo at Villa Argentina, in Riomaggiore, he was a true gentleman.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank rubessoho

Reviewed August 13, 2006

I know La Torretta gets great reviews, but our experience could have been better....

Booking was a challenge -- I initially tried to make our June 2006 reservation in October 2005. I received a reply indicating that the reservation office would open in late December. I e-mailed back on the 19th of December only to find out that all rooms were booked except the 3 bedroom suite (which luckily did work for our party of 5).

Arriving at the train station it was a VERY difficult climb up the streets with luggage to get to the hotel at the TOP of the town. I had read warning of this, but it was worse than I expected. Definitely try to catch the shuttle bus that runs through town to drive you up (more on the shuttle, later....).

The rooms were very nice and clean, except the only shower in our suite had a broken door, so the bathroom flooded every time anyone showered.

The main problem that we experienced was the indifferent attitude of the staff (Gabriele and other desk help). They were definitely not outgoing or helpful in any way...

When we asked about the shuttle through town to help us get our luggage to the station for an early train, the desk help indicated that the shuttle did not run that early in the morning, she didn't think. Of course she made no attempt to investigate this further. Then in the morning, the shuttle passed us by as we were walking to the station!!!

We loved Manarola, and would definitely go back, but I think we would try another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank KiminDen
Reviewed August 5, 2006

I have been intending to write a few words about La Torretta since our trip last October (2005). My husband, sister, and brother-in-law spent 5 nights at La Torretta, and absolutely loved it. My husband and I stayed in the "panoramic apartment" - about five rooms, with an unbelievable view, from a very large deck.

Gabrielle Baldindi was friendly and eager to please. We loved Manarola, and although we walked to all the other villages several times, we were very happy we had chosen Manarola, and La Torretta.

I would also like to mention a restaurant we dined at 3 out of the 5 nights we were in Manarola - it was Scoleria - bad spelling - means seacoast, and I am sure anyone could give you directions to it - probably the best seafood we have ever had - and we are from the west coast - the owner is also a fisherman and brings in the catch each morning. We had a "fish stew, or fish soup" and it was out of this world. The family that runs the restaurant was also so very friendly. It is located on the right side of the street as you walk down to the water.

Ciao - Sharon

3  Thank fankle
Reviewed August 2, 2006

This B&B is fantastic. We had a room with a seaview that was very nicely decorated. Nice staff. Don´t miss this!

• Stayed: July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank milys
Reviewed July 7, 2006

Our stay here was wonderful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and very refreshing. Everything was clean. The breakfast was yogurt, fruit, a hard roll with jelly, cream cheese, etc. but plenty to eat. Beautiful views. It was quite a walk from the train station (uphill) with luggage, but well worth it. There was not an alarm clock, but every morning at 7:00 a.m. the bell tower right next door would ring the bells and that worked great to wake us up and get us on our way. Definitely plan on hiking the trails, they give you beautiful views. Would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank CathyGeorgia
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This hotel was perfect for our family of 4 - 2 big bedrooms, modern bath & a huge balcony/terrace with amazing views of Manarola & the sea! We felt like we had our own private apartment but with the convenience of a great breakfast every morning & a wonderful concierge - Gabrielle. We loved the hikes and the beaches and the food! The only thing we wished we had done differently was stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank superchewy
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at LaTorretta during our 2 week honeymoon in Europe! We absolutely fell in love with La Torretta and Cinque Terre. It is absolutely beautiful here. We rented a car in Italy and were worried about parking since cars are not allowed in town. But not to worry, there is a pay parking lot, with plenty of parking just outside of Manarola. We lucked out and found a parking space on the side of the road, about a 5 minute walk to La Torretta. La Torretta is a class act. We stayed in room #3 which had a beautiful view of Manarola and the Liguarian Sea and had wonderful amenities such as a hydro shower, CD player/Radio, and flat panel TV (however in Manarola, there is not much need for a TV). We did not have a balcony, but enjoyed sitting on the breakfast terrace and "solarium". A wonderful breakfast was prepared for us every morning and was very filling. There is a lot of walking up and down hills in Cinque Terre, so be prepared to get a workout. But with all the food we ate, we needed the exercise. Manarola and La Torretta was by far my favorite destination that we visited. I highly recommend them both!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank ChicagoHollyanne79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manarola
Locanda del Sole
#16 of 20 in Monterosso al Mare
Luna di Marzo
Luna di Marzo
#4 of 11 in Riomaggiore

Been to La Torretta? Share your experiences!