“The View at Billy's is the Best”

Trattoria Dal Billy
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Manarola
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We ate at Billy's our first night in Manarola. The location on the hill gives you a romantic view of the town. Our host and server were very polite even though the restaurant was packed and people were waiting for tables. I had the prawns and they were very good. My husband had the catch of the day that was brought to the table for him to select. We would go to this locale again, going down the steps to the restaurant is an adventure to begin with.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a tiny restaurant at the top of the village so you will miss it easily if you are only by the harbour. The 12 course degustation starter is really tasty but it was actually enough food for us and we struggled to eat our crab for mains which was a shame. Best food in town.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Unfortunately, we couldn't get a table outside, but the food was delicious, the best we had in Manarola, we thought the prices were reasonable and we enjoyed good service.
Seafood is the speciality, very fresh fish chargrilled with lemon and oil.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading such good reviews we were shocked and disappointed with Trattoria Dal Billy. Here are some specific comments:
- the ambience was average at best, despite nice views from a small percentage of the tables
- there was very little air circulation thanks to the many walls separating eating areas and neighboring properties
- the service was absolutely atrocious ... the waiters were among the roughest (i.e., uncouth and poorly trained) that we have ever experienced outside of a fast food restaurant; for example, our waiter was a construction worker during the day and dropped two things at our table, while another waiter dropped a dish that shattered and hit several customers
- my son's steak was overcooked
- the biggest shocker was when the bill arrived and they charged us 45 euros (almost $60 USD) for one serving of sea bass! The fish was good (not great), but the price was cleverly disguised by weight on the menu!
In conclusion, caveat emptor (buyer beware) when eating at Trattoria Dal Billy. "Billy" seems to be resting on his laurels from past reviews.
P.S. there are better restaurant options in Manarola and much better in the other towns of Cinque Terre.

1  Thank rrn2n
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went here at the weekend and it was everything i had hoped for - such a memorable meal. Pastel pink sunset seaside view over the world unesco heritage beauty of Manarola - a heart stopping destination, gorgeous white linen table cloths, lemon trees on the veranda but also the best seafood and ingredient combinations I have had together. I joked that I would have proposed to the whole group there it was so romantic!. We had a seafood starter which was lots of mini tapas dishes with wonderful combinations - sweet pink onion with tuna for example; followed by lobster pasta (a split lobster and home made pasta served on a large platter) and a bottle of local white. As we had ordered the specials we hadnt checked the price and a table of nearby australians told us to expect the meal we ordered to cost us $1000s as they had been there the night before and said it was very expensive. We were nervous for the bill and justified it to ourselves only to find it was very reasonable! It was 45eur a head and we ate like kings in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I am so lucky my friend got us to go there as we would have settled for pizza on the beach which would have been nice but not the type of meal I will remember forever. I love Seafood so if it isnt your thing, you will not like it as much as I did. But if you are a seafood fan - this will be one of the best places for seafood and most romantic locations you could hope for.

1  Thank Julia7249