“Just relax and enjoy”

Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Manarola
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012

On the recommendation of our B&B we took the train from Vernazza to Manarola for dinner at Trattoria Dal Billy. What a great evening and warm welcome. Don't get too hung up on seating every seat seemed to have its own charm, just relax and enjoy. The mixed seafood appetizer for 2 included 12 dishes and was a top highlight among a trip of highlights. The house made lemoncello after dinner was a real treat as well.....now that is Italy!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,184)

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I guess I was expecting more. Maybe my Italian grandmother at home spoils me. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't horrible. But it didn't "wow" me either. The service was okay...not overly polite. The view is gorgeous.
We second guessed ourselves a number of times finding this place...it's definitely out of the way high up on the hill in little Manarola.
Mussels--yummy, but pretty much the same I would make at home.
Frutta di Mare--An excellent assortment of fried (at times, fried whole) seafood. Not much flavor.
And we got pasta, but it couldn't have been that spectacular, because I can't remember what it was. I think Pesto--this region is known for its yummy pesto.
If we ever return, I would try another restaurant in the area. I have a feeling this place is popular, because it is known as the non-tourist spot in Manarola.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in Vernazza and on a visit to Manarola walked up the hill and saw signs pointing to Dal Billy which we had heard of in another city from a visitor. We stopped for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed all of it. We sat outside overlooking the sea, very pretty. We had a homemade pasta dish "a la Billy" with tomato, pine nuts and whole shrimp, probably the sweetest shrimp I ever had. I had tiramisu for dessert. The food was so good, at or near the best in our one month tour of Italy. I really wish we could have returned as this restaurant was outstanding. Service was fine also.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Despite the great view and the obvious popularity of the place, this was some of the worst food we had in Italy. I like al dente pasta, but the trofie they served me was almost uncooked - very tough to chew - and the pesto was flat and bland. My husband's pasta was equally flavorless. We heard our very talkative server repeat the same stories and anecdotes to every table (got boring after a while). Even the wine was not as good as most of the wines we tried elsewhere.
I can see from the other reviews that we should have chosen fish, but after the awful pasta, we didn't want to chance anything else.

1  Thank Anita R
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Took a detour from Siena to drop by here for lunch and about 30 mins of walking around before driving up to the alps. Great little place. Awesome pasta and sea bass.