“Great meal at Billy's”

Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Manarola
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I stayed in an apartment whose entrance is directly across the walkway from Billy's entrance. I made reservations earlier in the day to be seated around 9:30, I believe. Our balcony looked directly over the restaurant, and I noticed that another couple had been waiting outside for a while before we arrived. When we did arrive, the place was full and Billy offered us some wine while we waited. You could tell he was aggravated because he couldn't accommodate us, even though we had reservations. After a bit, Billy started running around grabbing tables and chairs. We eventually figured out that he was setting us and the other couple up on the walkway in front of the restaurant. So, I have no idea what the inside of the place looks like or the atmosphere, but we had a great, unique experience, I thought. Billy informed us that he had just received some fresh tuna off the boat that same morning, and recommended the tuna carpaccio appetizer. We ordered the carpaccio and grilled tuna for my wife, and whole sea bass for me. The food was very good and fresh, although the tuna was very rare and while good, was a lot for my wife to finish. We should have ordered a side to accompany all of our fish. The meal was ended with complimentary choice of infused grappa or lemoncino.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,267)

Reviewed October 8, 2011

This restaurant is a little gem at the top of Manarola and well worth the climb. It's a friendly and welcoming place with a great view. We arrived a little early for our reservation and were offered a glass of Prosecco on the house while we waited-a nice touch! We were seated a few minutes later at an adorable table outside overlooking the town. The food was wonderful, especially the fresh seabass baked with potatoes-YUM!! -Overall a wonderful evening!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We were so looking forward to Billy's restaurant, having read it was great on tripadvisor, and it was recommended by the apartment proprietor as one of the best restaurants in Cinqueterra. Unfortunately, the wait staff was rude, it was difficult to even get a table, if not booked 2 days in advance, and the food was incredibly overpriced for what was served. Most of the menu was frozen, but the prices were for that of fresh fish. The only perk was that 'free' grappa was served at the end of the night. The view outside I suspect would have been nice, though even with 2 days advance notice, we could only get a table inside.

2  Thank minthillgal
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Billy was on hand and so we had the pleasure of chatting with him a bit during our meal. We had the spicy spaghetti dish and something with shrimp. Both of us preferred the spicy dish and I am still adjusting to the European style of presenting fresh shrimp, etc., au naturele--feelers and heads on and not de-veined. We had the most incredible dessert of panna cotta--our first experience of it--and greatly enjoyed a sampling of local muscat and lemon liquor. We highly recommend Dal Billy! Make sure you have a reservation if you would like to sit outside on the terrace.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

My BF and I rented a room right next door (literally) to Billy's. The agent who took us to our room recommended Billy's and suggested that we make a reservation. Off course, we didn't listen to her, but we were lucky to get a spot for 9pm that night. We liked the food so much that we ended up there for dinner again the next night! The Trofie Fresche al Pesto is simple, but delicious! I also enjoyed the mixed fried fish, who knew fried anchovies (not super salty like in the states) could taste so good!