See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 28, 2016

While backpacking through Northern Italy and Switzerland, we had a wonderful 5 night stay at Sole Terre Mare. The view was absolutely gorgeous and we loved making dinner in the apartment and eating on the balcony. This was the perfect relaxing stay. We loved staying in Corniglia as it was quieter than the other villages.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank SarahLiz23
Reviewed November 1, 2015

Mare was amazing. We looked at accommodation in the 5 villages and narrowed it down to Corniglia for the quiet and less commercial appeal. When we chose Mare, it was for what we hoped to be a good view! When we walked in with Miss Rossi, WOW! The view exceeded our expectations. Ms Rossi was great to welcome us and show us the apartment. It is well equipped, we used the kitchen a lot and the bedroom is right near to balcony with the best view of Corniglia. Something to remember, if your apartment was closer to the cliff, you would not see the amazing village view. From Mare you see the ocean but also have a breathtaking view of Corniglia, which is In our opinion the best of the cinque terre because it is In the middle and is not as commercial as some of the others. We hiked all of them from Corneglia and used the train. Don't get discouraged with the advertised 385 steps, we went up with our backpack easily, but there is an efficient bus that takes you up every few minutes also.

Stayed: October 2015
3  Thank amineau
Reviewed October 22, 2015

I would recommend Corniglia and the one bedroom apartment for everyone!

We spent 3 night there, so we had time to visit all the 5 main villages of Cinque Terre and if I came back, I would choose Corniglia again. Not just because it is in the middle but it is also the less crowded by tourists, which gives a nice charm to the city.

The apartment is big enough, it is perfectly clean, the kitchen is well-equipped and the furnishing is just lovely, it is really traditional. From the window and from the common terrace the view is amazing either on the sea or on Corniglia.

The owner of the apartment is really friendly, she gave us a lot of information, I can tell nothing but good about her. If you speak some Italian, it can be useful.

A friendly owner, a nice and clean apartment with parking nearby, what else do you need? Just a couple of free days to go there!

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dontintoretto
Reviewed August 19, 2015

First off, you do NOT need a car in the Cinque Terra - unless you have plenty of time and nerves of steel. It took us a nail biting one hour to drive from La Spezia to Corniglia versus 15 minutes on the train! We parked the car and then walked into the village to meet Eleonora at the appointed time and place. She was waiting for us in the street. She showed my husband where to leave the car and then we wheeled our cases up windy streets, which were very steep and with quite a few steps. We rented Sole and Mare as we are a couple with a 12 year old and were travelling with my adult cousin. My cousin had the double bed apartment and we had the apartment for 4. Eleonora was very friendly and showed us how to work the gas and made a time to return for check out purposes. We had spent the previous night in a 5 star hotel so it was from one extreme to the other and probably part of the reason we were surprised at its simplicity. My son was shocked as there was no TV or Wifi! Also there was no microwave, no kettle (my cousin's room had one but we did not), no small supplies of coffee or tea. It wasn't until bed time that we discovered the single beds were not made up - no pillow or sheets. We felt it was too late to contact Eleonora, however I am sure she would have fixed this immediately had she been aware. My cousin had a spare pillow in her room and it was hot so my son just slept on top of the bed. We were very glad that it was air-conditioned as it was incredibly hot. The apartment has amazing views and we loved sitting outside at the table for breakfast and also in the evening. The apartment was clean, quiet and comfortable. Plenty of hot water for showers. We did adapt to this simple accommodation and grew to love it. Eleonora was an excellent hostess and we would certainly stay here again and/or recommend it to friends. Corniglia is quieter than the other towns and possibly one of the smallest (i.e. fewer shops/restaurants). You can get to the water (I won't say beach, I didn't see a beach, just rocks) down a very steep and windy path. It is hard work on the way back up and you really do need to be fit for this journey. There is a bus which stops in the middle of town and it takes to and from the train station. You can buy your tickets in the delicatessen near where the bus stops - I think they are 1 euro per person, per journey. It is not far to the station and going from the town to the station is downhill but coming back, it is uphill all the way - up hundreds of steps.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2015

We had a wonderful stay in the Sole Apartment and the Terra double room. Both were very comfortable and conveniently located not far from the center of Corniglia and just off the walking paths to the next villages. Eleonora was very friendly and accommodating and the apartments have a terrace with excellent views. Rooms have Air Con which was greatly appreciated in summer!

Room Tip: The Sole Apartment has access to an outdoor seating terrace and views out to sea, highly recommend
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends