See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

I booked this place without reading all the reviews here on TripAdvisor first. So I was quite skeptical when arriving at the hotel at 7pm. But there is really nothing to worry about. Yes, the landlady can be a bit short and cold. She runs both the hotel and restaurant mostly alone and she can't speak any English. But she was very helpful and understanding when we asked questions. Corneglia is a little remote town a bit outside the rest of civilization so you can't really demand much of a hotel in this place. The room has a breathtaking view and has all it needs. There is no air condition but open the window at night and you get both a cool breeze from the sea and the sound that lulls you to sleep. The breakfast included is really a bonus if you want to save money and time, we came to prefer this opposed to have to go to a shop or buy an expensive breakfast at a restaurant. Lower your expectations and really let Corneglia and Locanda la Lanterna surprise you!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for our honeymoon. Not the best place for that.
Its very basic... No tv, no ac.
Smells musty and doesnt seem the cleanest. We also noticed mold in the shower. The owner always seems grumpy and she speaks no english at all.
Corneglia however is a beautiful town.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2015 via mobile

The place is really average,there is nothing to be afraid of-our room was clean,well kept. Rather spacious bathroom with all the working facilities. No air conditioning but that's expexted for the price we paid. Location is wonderful! At the very heat of Corniglia. The stone stairs to local marina are just on your right(but wouldn't recommend it though-the beach is rocky and very slippery,better go to Monterosso,7 min by train). We got a sea view room which was very refreshing after mid day heat.
Again-quality/money equation works out just fine. Don't be afraid but don't expect Ritz Carlton. We enjoyed it!

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have visited the Cinque Terre seven times since 1999. I am a 63 year old woman who was traveliing with my daughter and her friend last November. We decided to try the Lanterna for dinner. Not only was the service terrible. The female owner of the establishment was grumpy and rude. I ordered a bottle of the local Cinque Terre wine to share. When she brought the wrong, very expensive wine to the table, she told me in so many words that it was just too bad, we would have to accept it. Later, when I went inside to pay the bill (110 Euros), I had a question about the price of our meals and the wine. The woman locked the door in the front room and told me to wait there. She returned from the kitchen with her husband and two people who work for them.The husband pushed me against the wall, spat in my face, and called me "American mierde. I wanted to slap the little beast, but as I moved toward this scoundrel, I was grabbed by one of the two kitchen help and pushed back against the wall. The wife (owner) proceeded to kick me as hard as she could bruising my hip badly. My daughter and friend came looking for me, and as I saw her through the window, I yelled for help. She ran for help in Bar Nunzio's where we are well known and have friends. By then, the door was unlocked. In tears, I left and proceeded to try to call the police in Vernazza, but at that time of night the office was closed. We left Corniglia early in the morning, three days ahead of schedule. I will return to Corniglia because I love it there. However, the people at the Lanterna should be put out of business.

Room Tip: La Torre and Ristorante Camare Cecio are great places to stay. They are warm, friendly, helpful people. A great authentic Italian experience.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Teresa49_13
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Pros:
Very nice location. Beautiful town.
They did allow us to stay an extra night when we were caught in corniglia due to a train strike

Cons :
Not very friendly.
The shower did not drain well, bathroom towel rack was broken. Lights did not all work due to electrical problem.
No discount was offered because of electrical issue and we did not want the hassle of complaining. So we paid full price (more than we paid in Florence) and left.

We would come back to corniglia but not to this apartment

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Kathy B