“Wonderful local experience!”

Ranked #14 of 27 Restaurants in Corniglia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The owner has a restaurant that serves dinner upstairs.
Thorold
“Wonderful local experience!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We found this quaint restaurant while walking around looking for dinner. The menu is written in chalk on a chalkboard located on the walking street in front, inside it doesn't look like much but when you walk up the circular stairs to the small dining room the place comes alive. It is very much a family business and there is plenty of help with suggestions for dinner. We had a mixed seafood starter which was pretty much all fish in various forms, smoked, pickled, in oil even anchovies which my wife "hates" but now loves! Next we had a seafood Paccheri pasta that was the real highlight of the evening, amazing fresh seafood, tomatoes a light sauce - so good! And then we had grilled fresh fish with potatoes and capers. We washed this down with a bottle of house wine made by the proprietor of the restaurant and it also was very good. Had several laughs with a German couple we were seated beside and that continued to the bar downstairs with the owner and his father? Lots of fun, great food in one of the most beautiful towns in the world.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mark K

• Czech first
Gainesville, Florida
“Terrible service”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I ate here for dinner and was excited to try it because of the Rick Steves recommendation. The owner heartily greeted us and he was very friendly. We were ushered upstairs, where we met other diners who we soon found out were having a terrible dining experience. The server must have been having a bad day because she threw utensils, food, etc. down on the tables when serving and everyone in the dining room was appalled by her service. We all bonded over how bad the experience was. I thought the food may make up for the bad service but it did not. I think they might give American or English-speaking tourists less than quality food or maybe the kitchen was just off that night. I ordered frutti di mare and it did not taste fresh at all. I also ate pasta with pesto and it tasted like it had dirty dish water in it. My spouse and I had been in Italy for two weeks by that point and it was one of the worst meals we ate while there. Although the owner was very friendly, we won't be going back when we go back to Cinque Terre.

Visited April 2014
Mid-Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area
“Fabulous lunch midway through the Cinque Terre”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We had a great pranza (lunch) here midway during our one day of traipsing through the 5 Cinque Terre villages. The anchovies with lemon were unbelievably good. The bruschetta came out as all on one large slice of bread. I had the artichoke and mushroom salad and my wife had the mixed seafood salad. Everything was delicious. We had a bottle of 2013 vintage Cinque Terre white wine, Costa da' Posa, that was perfect with the food.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Sherpadad54
Frederick, Maryland
“Fantastic lunch!!!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The food here was SO delicious! I had trofie with swardfish, and my husband had gnocchi with salmon....YUM! The prices were very reasonable. The house wine was ok (the local white) and while our waitress was very nice, she seemed to be the only one waiting tables so be careful if you're in a rush!
I would skip dessert (the tiramisu and panna cotta were way sweeter and more American-tasting than anything else we had in Italy) and seek out a good gelateria.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MandC2010
Irvine, California, United States
“Don't skip dessert”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

"This is what poetry tastes like..." - me, feasting on the perfect Tiramisu

We found this place through dumb luck so I almost feel guilty sharing this...but the food and service were FANTASTIC and it deserves the business.

This is a small family-run cafe in Corniglia that is nestled among a few similar looking restaurants off of the main footpath that winds through town. The first level (street level) is a small bar that could accommodate maybe ten people. Ascend a spiral staircase in the corner of the room to access the main dining area. This floor is a bit more spacious - there are perhaps five or six tables. Ascend a third staircase and you will be in the kitchen...of his house. As far as we could tell his wife and children were cooking...and it tasted like it too.

We started with bread and a marinated artichoke (cold) with balsamic, herbs and olive oil. She had a mixed salad - well made but unmemorable. Then came the gnocchi. It was served just the way I like it - more than al dente, but not gelatinous - bathed in a homemade pesto sauce. The savory dumplings vanished immediately upon being tasted, leaving only a hint of flavor on the palate. It makes you want to keep chasing them to experience the full taste. Her spaghetti in tomato sauce was good too.

Afterwards, we asked for the check. That was almost a huge mistake. She asked me "are you sure..?" and after a slight deliberation, I ordered the Tiramisu. It was simply amazing - the first bite sent me reeling.

"This is what poetry tastes like..."

Is all i could stammer out. It was phenomenal - rich, moist and savory. Just a flawless combination of taste and texture. Its what I've been chasing for years, and I finally found it - right off the coast of the Ligurian Sea in someone's home.

And to think that I almost skipped dessert.

• Visited November 2013