“Shoddy experience! Stay clear!”

La Posada Ristorante & Camere
Ranked #3 of 13 Corniglia B&B and Inns
Savannah, Georgia
“Shoddy experience! Stay clear!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I booked La Posada three months in advance, confirmed by e-mail as well as a telephone call three days prior to arriving. After hiking the stairs to Corniglia, we four travellers arrived at La Posada. Padlocked gate. No one was there. After twenty minutes a woman arrived. She could not telephone the proprietor. I speak Italian, and she was clueless and did not seem to care. We stayed another twenty minutes and left my telephone number. No one called back. It looked like a ghost motel. We found another place to stay after hiking to Vernazza. As another traveller cautioned, "AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FSHphd

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Sunnyvale
Reviewed August 26, 2011

After initial check in at this "hostel" we did not see the staff again. We had to carry our bags up 2 flights of stairs (no lift), no soap in the room, no phone, no way of contacting staff, and no contact information was provided anyway, saggy mattress that forced you to roll into the center of the bed, a dirty balcony with a dirty table and 2 dirty chairs. Room so tiny that if you took more than one step one side of the bed you hit the wall and the other side you were on the balcony. The only positive thing that I can say about this establishment is that the rooms and sheets on the bed were clean but isn't that expected in an accommodation of this type.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Carol L
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2011

The owners of La Posada were wonderful hosts. Our room was a huge 2 bedroom apartment with million dollar views over the Mediterranean to Manarolo. The furnishings were simple but comfortable and the village is a 2 minute walk away. They provided a simple but delicious breakfast of coffee and focaccia.

We found the food in the restaurant to be excellent and fresh. We especially loved the Cabrese and pasta dishes.

When we decided to stay a second night and our hosts had no available rooms they found another room for us in the town. La Posada also let us go back and leave our bags in their house on our last day whereas the second place we stayed said they had no place we could leave them.

Overall we loved our stay in Cinque Terre largely due to the hospitality of the owners of La Posada.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank PjArgent
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We ate at the La Posada restaurant for lunch after hiking three hours on the challenging and incredibly scenic #6 trail from Manarola to Corniglia (where La Posada is located). We’d planned on eating lunch at the next village, Vernazza, but when we passed La Posada when the trail hit the village, the shady setting and fantastic view beckoned us. Under La Posada's palm and olive trees we enjoyed our best meal in Cinque Terre which consisted of pesto lasagna, batter-fried anchovies, caprice salad, fig and pecan tart with light crisp wine. This was a long, delicious and memorable lunch for our family. The prices were very reasonable and the service was attentive. Afterwards we headed to the village where we had intended eat- it was crowded and touristy and we fled quickly- so grateful that we came across La Posada and went off the beaten path.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ckohfield
Boston
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My review is regarding the restauarant. The bad reviews are true, the food here is by far the worst we had in all of Italy in any of our trips here, service is awful too. There are many beautiful places in cinque terre please don't eat here and please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank theamericannomad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Unfortunately, I didn't read reviews of this hotel before booking and leaving, but I wish I had because essentially ALL of the negative reviews about this hotel and restaurant either happened with us or we could very much see happening.

Our trip to Cinque Terre is part of a 3 week long vacation in Italy. We had just had great stays in Milan and Monaco. Then we arrived at La Posada. Upon arrival, they couldn't confirm our reservation because they have no organized booking system. They had no idea who we were. They looked at us like unwanted guests in their house. It was only after I showed them a print out of their emails saying that I've booked a room that they agreed to showed us to our room. Without this print out, I could imagine being either paying a higher price or being turned away. As it turned out, the hotel is several steps down the road from the ristorante. We eventually estimated that the hotel definitely had vacancies during our stay, which made us think that they should have made some attempt at making us welcomed.

I could not remember names, but the host appears to be a husband and Wife and maybe a sister, daughter, cousin or family friend named Simona. Simona is the contact person via emails as she and husband speaks some English. The Wife does not speak English and she wears the pants this this operation. She appears disgruntle, unhappy and very mean (more later). The husband is much more pleasant and much more reasonable, but he doesn't appear to have much say in the business. Simona appears nice, but by nature of the beast (aka, the business), she's just an extension of the Wife.

So to elaborate why this is they worse hotel experience we've had, I'll have to detail our stay. After the bad first impression, I asked if there's a place we can do laundry, whether in the hotel or laundromat. They at first said no, but then came back and say that the room we're in has a washer and we're welcomed to use it. So that made us fell better. The Wife walked us up to our room at the top of ~3 flights of stairs (no elevators). We had lots of luggage and a baby, but she made no gesture of offer to help with luggage or baby.

The room was very spacious with decent ocean view. There was a good washer underneath the kitchen counter. There were bed sheets and blankets scattered everywhere in the room on top of chairs to dry out. The Wife hastily gathered the sheets and blankets and opened the windows for us, then left us with the key.

So everything was fine until we inquired about breakfast because I thought they had advertised the place as a bed and breakfast. I was informed that breakfast coasts 20 Euro more. I informed them that we MAY come down for breakfast to end the conversation. The husband asked what time would we come. I said maybe 8 AM. As it turned out, we were out late and the baby didn't wake up till late the next morning. We did 2 loads of laundry (1 dark and 1 white) and laid them out on the chairs to dry as there was no dryer. We eventually made it out and we ran into the hosts. They said they had been waiting for us and was kinda not happy with us. That was then end of that, nothing more.

That night, we came back to the hotel and my wife wanted to see what food the restaurant sells that we can buy as late evening snacks with some wine. She came back empty handed and informed me that the Wife just told her that we were going to be charge an additional 20 Euros for doing the laundry. My wife informed me that the husband translated this conversation for his Wife and he appears embarrassed about it. Needless to say, I was angry and had no intention of paying. We slept it off and the next morning I confronted the hosts. The husband saw me coming and took off. I talked to the Wife with her friends as translators. She eventually agreed to not improvise and add the 20 Euro. She started bad mouthing me in Italian to her friends.

Unfortunately, this is the most horribly run service oriented business I've dealt with. There are no people skills. No attempts at customer satisfaction. On the cuff improvisation of fees. Every single time we encountered them, they turned to their italian friends and talk bad about us (even during the first encounter when we tried to check in).

We would never recommend this restaurant nor hotel to anybody, not even our worst enemies (if we had any).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank thmdmph
washington
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My sister and I stayed at La Posada in the Sole Luna Apt for 4 night in 2006. The view over the Golf of Poets was stunning. The rooms were large and airy.
One of the owners personally carried our 2 suitcases up 3 flights of stairs.
We absolutely loved it. I cant wait to take my husband there someday.

We dined at the restaurant for 2 meals. It was fine. We had fresh anchovies.The local wine was delicious.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank jnjsrnr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corniglia
Locanda del Sole
#1 of 33 in Riomaggiore
Il BoMa
Il BoMa
#5 of 33 in Riomaggiore

Been to La Posada Ristorante & Camere? Share your experiences!