“don't skip cinque terre! it is NOT a tourist trap!”

Cinque Terre Trails
Book In Advance
More Info
$321.44*
and up
Private Sunset Boat Tour Along the Cinque Terre...
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was a little skeptical because I read some of the bad reviews, but this area is absolutely gorgeous. there is no other place like it along the riviera. I think the negative reviewers either spent too much time here or didn't hike any of the trails. We went the last week of June and hiked the blue trail (along the coast) from Monterosso to vernazzo. we went early in the morning and we are both in shape so it wasn't a hard hike but it was a good workout to start the day. the views of vernazzo, when you are approaching the town, are stunning. We had lunch and wine at an excellent restaurant. Yes, there are fast food pizza type places, but there are nice restaurants too. maybe if the negative posters were willing to spend a few more dollars they would have had better food. The souvenir shops have local lemon flavored olive oil and limoncello from local lemons. I don't consider this very "touristy". we picked up a few small bottles of each and took the train back to our beach/hotel which was home base (outside of cinque terre). I am SO glad I did not listen to the negative posters and miss this experience. The half day I spent here was plenty of time and well worth it. It gave me a feel for cinque terre and I was on to my next adventure.

4  Thank NYCTravelerUSA
Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"cinque terre trail"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The trail offers incredible views of the cities and hillside vineyards. I can't wait to go back and hike the whole trail when it opens-up in summer 2013/2014. Currently the trail is closed except for the stretch from Monterroso to Vernanza which is absolutely beautiful.

1  Thank Jacob F
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Go Early! Here are a few reasons why:
-You’ll beat the heat, and as other posters have indicated it does get hot. It feels even hotter with all the stairs you are climbing/descending.
-You’ll beat some of the crowd. We took a train from Rapallo that arrived in Corniglia at 8:45. We had no line to purchase the Cinque Terre Pass (note that the stand opens at 8AM) and we saw very few people on the 1.5 hour hike to Vernazza. By contrast, the Vernazza to Monterosso leg was pretty active when we got to that portion of it, and there were several occasions where we had to stand to the side to be passed or pass others, wait in line for a good photo op location, etc.

Go from South to North
-Many people start in Monterosso and go south, but we preferred to do the opposite. In this way, the sun is at your back as you hike instead of in your face, and you get to do the gruelling steps around Monterosso as a descent at the end. Additionally, from a practical perspective, there are many more direct trains to connecting cities from Monterosso, the only sandy beach of the five villages, and lots of great restaurants - so I preferred to end my journey there.

Be prepared for steps
-I hadn’t realized just how many there would be. We counted ~3300 between Corniglia and Monterosso, about evenly split between the two legs. There are lots of ascents and descents, and while we saw some folks doing this in flip flops, we also saw severally people who looked like they had underestimated how gruelling the hike would be.

Miscellaneous
-I thought I’d outsmart the system and buy my park/hiking pass a day in advance, but they don’t offer that (even in person).
-Travel lightly. You’ll have opportunities to buy or fill water bottles so don’t go overboard bringing excess liters (but definitely bring some). I had a 20 pound pack filled with camera, water bottles, food, swimsuits, towels, etc. It felt like 50 pounds about 2 hours into the hike.
-Check in advance for trail closings. I know the various sites are not always up to date, but I found this one to be pretty reliable (http://www.parconazionale5terre.it/sentieri_parco.asp?id_lingue=2). When we were there only the Corniglia to Monterosso sections of trail #2 were open, and they were due to close even those two for a few days of upkeep on the Monday we left. It really seems hit or miss in this regard.
-If you have the time, think about spending one day taking the ferry between the villages so that you can view them from the sea (very beautiful) and also mill around more leisurely within any of those villages where the hiking trails are closed. Then you can focus the second day on doing the hikes you want along the trails that are open without worrying about missing the other villages.

I hope some of these tips are useful. It really is a spectacular place!

24  Thank sempo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

As of yesterday only 1 coastal trail remains open; between Venazza and Cornigii. That does not preclude hikes up higher, but if your dream is to walk the historic and famous coastline, then you had better come another time. On the one trail that is open, the crowds are obviously heavy and so if you want a more calm experience, then once again, wait. That being said, if all you wanted was a trail taster, then the one trail will suffice. The views are spectacular, the exertion considerable especially in the summer sun. One final note. If you go for reasons other than the walk, then you will have to find pleasures that outweigh the crush of tourists particularly in the entry and exit by train. Do not depend on the local tourist offices; they are besieged and understandably short on explanations. Protocols for usage of park is not well explained in published materials.

3  Thank lloyd b