“Perfect hideaway”

Albergo al Vecchio Tram
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Udine
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Just perfect...
Rooms are great...and for italian standards very large...
Service is impeccable...
Breakfast is excellent...
Nice bar...
Position within the city is ideal..
Decent prices...
What do you want more ?

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Stefano E
There are newer reviews for Albergo al Vecchio Tram

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Italian small hotels can be hit and miss. Lacking the support of a global franchise, they can sometime suffer from a lack of consistency. The "Albergo al Vecchio Tram" is a newly renovated small hotel in the centre of Udine. Worth a try.

(+) Modern, understated design. Clean linens, nice bathrooms.
(+) Good location very close to the centre of Udine
(+) Friendly staff
(+) Free and functioning internet access
(-) No proper wardrobes - just a clothes rack with three non-removable hangers. If you're staying longer on business, consider this a potential downside
(-) The bedside light and minibar were not working in my room - didn't matter to me because I was staying overnight only but make sure all is working
(-) Average breakfast

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ravenna2006
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was in this hotel for a week and I had a great time. They have nice setup and lovely environment. The breakfast is comparable to any expensive hotel. Their internet service is really good I just loved it, as most of the time I had this problem with internet even in a five star hotel. Well price might seems bit costly but I would say price worthy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank M Shamim M
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was very modern hotel with all fancy electronic gadgets available in the room. Manager was very enthusiastic and personnel was very friendly. No complaints what so ever though 130 eur per night was quite expensive as this was not the biggest city in the world. Breakfast was also just fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at this small hotel for 5 nights during June 2012 for a course at CISM just around the corner and overall it was a very nice stay. The staff are friendly, especially one guy who I also had written with over email before my arrival. The woman who was behind the desk when I arrived had somewhat limited English, but was easy to understand. The room was very nice and larger than I had expected. Even though it was a relatively small room, there was a huge bed which took up a lot of the space. The bathroom was also quite large and very clean. With respect to cleanliness, I personally believe that way too much cleaning took place during my stay! Some might see it as a positive thing, but I think it is rather wasteful to change the towels every single day and so fourth. I also did not like the fact that the cleaning staff came into my room everyday and tidied the bed every single day, this is definitely not necessary in my opinion. I did enjoy the candy that they placed on the bed though :-). The shower was quite fancy, at least to my standards, and had a set of distributed nozzles that could be turned on independently to wash your body.
The breakfast buffet was very nice! Again the friendly staff offers you a variety of coffee, also tea if you ask, and I recommend to enjoy an espresso or two in the morning. The buffet consists of breads, croissants, ham, salami, cheese and boiled eggs, as well as a selection of cookies, musli bars and fruit. Different juices and yoghurt are also available. The hotel does not have a restaurant on-site, but there are many in the general area.
I have to finish with a slightly negative story, but it is not necessarily the hotels fault. On the final day of my stay, there was a general bus and train strike and when I asked the woman behind the counter the night before, she had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the strike. Partly because she didn't know what the word 'strike' meant even when I carefully explained the concept to her, but most likely also because she was not aware of the situation. Luckily I was able to figure it all out from the Italian railways website. As I had to leave early in the morning, I was allowed to check out in the evening and then leave the key at the front desk when I left in the morning. She assured me that there would be someone there to take it, but there was not - so I had to just leave it on the table and go.

To finish off, the stay was overall very pleasant and I enjoyed it. The hotel was located very close to the centre of Udine and within 15-20 minutes walk from the train station. As already mentioned, the hotel is located right around the corner from CISM, International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, so I definitely recommend it if this is the reason for your visit to Udine. Also the hotel was quite cheap compared to the others I looked at.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The rooms are modern, stylish and perfect to relax! Especially the staff is extremely friendly and helpfull. We felt more like a part of a familiy than in a hotel! The road is a side road without traffic going through, which makes the location very conveniant to sleep, even it is down town Udine.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TaurusMunich
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The hotel is small, but nice, clean and in very good position.
There is no parking for the hotel, but at 100m there is a close parking.
The center is starting just 5min walking.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business