“A beautiful spot.”

Ranked #2 of 376 things to do in Trieste
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We got to Castello Miramare via the hop-on hop-off tourist bus but there is a local bus that takes you there too. I visited it in 1974 and it was just as beautiful as I remembered. Walking along the foreshore you see in the distance this imposing white building built over the sea. The gardens are beautiful and there is a cafe under a very long pergola where you can have some lunch or just a Spritz and enjoy your surroundings. Allow at least half a day there to just wander around and relax.

1  Thank JaneBR09
There are newer reviews for Castello di Miramare - Museo Storico

Reviewed November 3, 2013

What a garden! yes I mention this as you need to take a picnic, sit in the garden, relax as you are on a small hill overlooking the sea. Then stroll around the grounds, enjoy the sea air and then take a walk into the castle...

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went there in evening hours just before sunset and found it an extremely beautiful must visit place in trieste .you need to explore the surroundings for a better view of the sea and boats,garden was closed at my time but still I found it extremely beautiful in evening hours

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We start driving from Ljubljana to Trieste near to slovenia and Italy border with rental car.after 3 hours we arrived to Trieste.we visited Miramare castle for 3:30 hours.this castle build in 22 hectares area for resident Maximilian and his wife.that was really beautiful castle in sea side.you can visit a huge garden,historical painting,big book library,a big globes,more statue on the wall,all thing presented with handy multimedia player.we interested the location of the castle with nice golf view,I found a protection trouble of historical things.beacuse i saw in other museum things coverd with glass and touching not possible.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I visited the castle when in Trieste for two days. The craftsmanship on the inside is beautiful and not as ostentatious as other 'great homes' I've seen. I strongly suggest getting the audio guide - very information and added to the experience. The grounds are a great place for walking.
A word of caution: I got off the bus where I'd been told to (after the two tunnels), but the gates were locked. If a groundskeeper hadn't unlocked the gate for me, I would not have known where to go. It wasn't until I was leaving that I found the way via the seaside walkway.