“CHARMING YET GRAND”

Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Fort Lauderdale
“CHARMING YET GRAND”
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I was happily surprised after many searches for a great experience to rediscover my families city. The Maria Theresa was a little more than a walk to the center of Trieste, but still quite convenient by taxi or bus. The surroundings were of fine taste and service wonderful. Also, the breakfast on the terrace is never to be forgotten.
I arrived during an otherwise slow tourist season, and, in fact, quite happy I did. The staff was accomodating and friendly and even went beyond service by finding a small Slovenian community, not on a map, that was very important for me to visit.
The Maria Theresa is as a bejewelled music box, wanting to be discovered. I am so hoping Americans do find this, as well as Trieste on their map of places to visit.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Arizona, USA
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Booked here thru work. Checked in around 6pm. The check-in employee was rude and condescending to my boss for no apparent reason other than he was a jerk. He was polite when speaking to me, but I did witness his rudeness to my boss and it was absolutely uncalled for. I did encounter a maid a few minutes later and she was very kind and helpful.

Rooms: My room was directly under the kitchen of the hotel's restaurant. I could hear dishes being clanked together and things dropped on the kitchen floor... otherwise known as my ceiling. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The noises were loud and happened many times. My room had a door and a window that (unfortunately) overlooked the parking lot. The door was shut and locked but still let in an enormous amount of wind. So much wind that my closed drapes actually billowed out from the door. It was quite loud as well.

Internet: they have it... but neither of us in our party could actually pull up a web-page. The signal was weak if at all present. Very frustrating . At least it was free

Hotel restaurant: Not my favorite and I would avoid going there for any meal other than the included breakfast if we had not been able to move hotels. The coffee was the WORST I have ever had and I have been drinking coffee and espresso since I was 5. I also travel in Europe often. So am not an American that just isn't used to European coffee. It looked like mud and tasted like mud. At dinner one of three of our main meals was great. The other two were so-so. The crab starter that was the special that evening was so full of shell bits both big and small that it was inedible.

Location: 2 1/2 miles walking or a 6 euro cab ride to the city center and restaurants. If you are planning to explore the city center and like a short stroll, I would not recommend this hotel.

In closing... we arrived at 6pm and checked out by 10am the next day. We chose a simpler hotel for the remainder 5 nights of our trip (less expensive as well) that was right in the city center area. Granted, I don't have slippers or a cushy robe, but I am much happier at the second hotel.

• Liked — The extra pillow I asked for.
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MimiLoves

Travelers are raving about these Trieste hotels

London
Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed here on the last night of our short trip round Trieste and Croatia, and really needed a relax! With the swimming pool, attentive service, massages, hot powerful showers, delicious food and beautiful views from the restaurant this place was just the ticket!

The rooms are newly furnished and carefully designed, with a fully stocked mini bar and complimentary slippers! The beds are comfy and the air conditioning worked well.

However, be warned it is not close to the city centre so you will need to get a bus if you are planning to spend time there. We stayed in the hotel for the evening and had everything we needed there, having explored Trieste previously.

This hotel is also on the main road to the airport, which makes life easier if you are on your way home as we were.

• Liked — Comfort, pool, friendliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank richdixon68