Tripadvisor
Trieste
All reviews harry's bar the main square roman style steam room lovely pool area old style perfect location piazza unita beautiful square delightful hotel every morning valet service people watch junior suite nice stay the hotel staff breakfast staff
Selected filters
Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

Based in Venice for the summer, I spent quite a few weekends traveling to different cities. Trieste was a city I was really looking forward to visiting.
Firstly, it was rather expensive for a rather old fashioned hotel; some rooms were renovated (supposedly what I got) but the hotel just seemed gloomy.
I wanted early access to my room on the morning I arrived so I paid for the room for the night prior to my arrival. This way when I arrived at noon I wouldn’t be at the whim of the Front Desk as to when I would actually get my room. In order to get a later checkout on Sunday, similarly I was required to book an entire extra night (at rack rate) in order to stay until 3:00pm.

Under the circumstances I thought it was a bit greedy of the hotel to charge me in excess of $700 in order to arrive a few hours early and stay a few hours late. Nevertheless since these were the rules, and I knew this is the arrangement I needed to make with the hotel, I can’t hold it against them.

What bothers me most was the haughty and sanctimonious attitude I encountered by reception and the whole team. They acted more snobbish than as if I were at the Ritz in
Paris. And believe me - this is not a five star luxury hotel in a world capital.

Even the doormen were unpleasant. Every member of staff asked as if you were an inconvenience. I asked absolutely nothing of them. Even the concierge had no time to explain the layout of the city and to suggest a highlight or two.

After having been treated like Royalty at the Palazzo Venart in nearby Venice) reviewed separately) all I can say is the staffs at Grand Hotel Duchi D’Aosta has a baffling attitude that you should be thanking them - and your lucky stars - for paying nearly $1500 for what was ostensibly a two night stay in a “4 star” hotel in a third-rate city.

I was assigned a very large room with tons if furniture in a classical style. But I did not get the view I had been promised. The breakfast was a disappointment, too, and I ended up taking a second, better breakfast outside the hotel.

All in all I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel it in Trieste. The exceedingly grouchy staff - who couldn’t be bothered to move the muscles required to form a smile - really ruined any positive memory I will feel when looking back at my short stay in Trieste.

From Trieste I went to Bologna where the hotel and service and overall experience in a much nicer city was like night and day (read separate review). My only regret was I spent more time in Trieste at Grand Hotel Duchi than I did at the delightful hotel in lovely, charming Bologna.

I’ve given the hotel two stars because it wasn’t dirty or in awful condition. But the overall experience was not good by a long shot.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Magesta_SpA, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Madam,

I am truly sorry to read that our hotel failed to meet your expectations.

I attach the utmost importance to the politeness and care with which my collaborators treat our guests. Our commitment and passion are almost invariably acknowledged and praised in the reviews we receive. I was therefore utterly astonished to see that you have judged the entire staff, without a single exception, as arrogant and snobbish, including two professional figures that are not present in our hotel, namely the doorman and the concierge.

The view depends on the room a guest books: we are unable to provide the same view from the type of rooms that do not offer it. Only by booking a deluxe, a junior suite or a suite will you be able to enjoy the wonderful view of Piazza Unità d’Italia. I therefore cannot understand how anyone in the staff could have promised you the view if you booked a different type of room in the first place. The very large rooms are all junior suites and the suite, so I cannot understand how your room could have been at the same time both large and without the view.

Our breakfast, served at Harry’s (the only starred restaurant in Trieste) facing the wonderful Piazza Unità d’Italia, offers a broad selection of desserts, croissants and savoury cakes, made in our very own pastry shop. Our pastry shop was named the best in the region a few days ago by Italy’s most important gastronomic guide. Our Tommy is famous for the passion he puts into serving the very best to our guests (you need only read the other reviews). I therefore struggle to understand how you could have found any other café or pastry shop in the surrounding areas more satisfying.

I have the utmost respect for your feedback and I am truly sorry you have been disappointed by your stay at our hotel. However, it is not simple for me to recognize the Duchi d’Aosta in your description.

Alex Benvenuti
Managing Owner

Reviewed January 10, 2020

We chose this hotel because of its spa but when we entered the spa area the turkish bath and the room with rocks were off. On their website they are also talking about underwater soundsystem and cool illumination in the pool but those weren't on either. Next morning we asked about the turkish bath and in the reception they said they would turn it on for us but when we went to the spa it was still off. Also the shower in our room wasn't working properly in the steam and massage modes. However the room was clean and spacious, personnel was overall nice (despite the fact that they didn't turn the turkish bath on) and the location of the hotel is optimal. The breakfast was abundant and varied but there could have been more savoury options, a glass of sparkling wine and cakes crowned our morning in the hotel.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2019

Stayed at this hotel for three nights from November 29th to December 2nd especially to attend the opera Aida as my very good friend had the lead tenor role. I had stayed at this hotel before (for the same reason) and knew it was just perfect for me as a single traveller. The service of the staff was exceptional, particularly Tomi at breakfast who attended to my every need. The breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice plus a glass of Prosecco to start the day! I would heartily recommend this hotel for any length of stay.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed December 14, 2019

I enjoyed three nights at this "grand" hotel and its vicinity to the Piazza d'Unita! The breakfast was comprehensive and the staff were attentive. It reminded me of a classical Italian hotel. I hope to stay here again the next time I'm in Trieste.

Date of stay: May 2019
Reviewed December 9, 2019

The location of this hotel can't be beat. We especially appreciated the service from the staff. The front desk gave us great dinner recommendations and were always friendly. Tommy took care of us at breakfast greeting us with cappuccinos and smiles both mornings. His energy is contagious :-)

This place also has a relaxing, beautifully tiled and cozy spa area with an indoor pool.

Date of stay: December 2019