“A gem with very good service and great location!”

Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Midlands UK
“A gem with very good service and great location!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I cannot praise the reception staff enough at this lovely, traditional, beautifully located hotel. We were offered a room choice of arrival, and experienced a high level of professional, friendly hotel service and attention throughout. The room overlooking the square was delightful – and spotless - and the giant Jacuzzi downstairs probably the best I’ve encountered (and I have tried many!).
The only downside was double booking of a restaurant table on the outside terrace for my birthday meal. My boyfriend was compensated for this with a very mature, excellent whisky – a nice gesture but surprising to me perhaps given that it was my reservation and special event rather than his that was compromised. As it happened we ate at a decent pizza place on a side street instead, and still had a pleasant enough evening. I don’t know if the hotel and restaurant are separately managed, but this was the only blip in a magical and memorable 3-day break. As I mentioned earlier, the internal hotel staff were exceptional, 5 star, and come highly recommended…..

Room Tip: Ask on arrival if a view of the square is available. They may upgrade you at no extra cost if you ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hungarian first
  • Serbian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I know it's dated and kind of old splendor, but it was exactly what we needed after two disappointing stays in Trieste and Ljubljana respectively. This was our last night on our Trieste/Slovenia trip and by a mile our favourite hotel. It's right on Piazza Unita d'Italia, making it by far the best located hotel in Trieste. We didn't stay in one of the more expensive rooms overlooking the square, but our room was impeccable with a lot attention to detail. We loved all about it. Yes, it's old-fashioned but that's what makes it so charming. The decoration and furniture didn't look old or worn, just very warm and cozy. The shower is your standard European shower cubicle. Rather sad for a hotel that tries to sell itself as old-world charm. Entering the bathroom feels like entering the new world, the bad new world that is.

Breakfast wasn't fabulous but quite good nevertheless. Front desk staff was a bit cool but efficient, helpful and professional.

We especially loved the Roman bath in the basement. It's not big but I wished we could have stayed there longer. The pool is fantastic (for its size) and the jacuzzi not bad either. Sadly, the hotel doesn't seem to care much about it. There's no attendant, no towels are provided, and the sauna was dead cold. We only stayed for one night so we weren't really bothered by that. I complained to reception about the missing towels. I was told they would fix that right away, but what I have learned from other reviewers is that the missing towels saga is normal. There certainly is room for improvement.

Despite some shortcomings, we'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
budapest
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Triest is not something like to thing it is. You should work on it. You should fine the hidden jewels behind the things. (Miramare castle). But my favourite yewel is this Grand Hotel. When I have been there first time, I realised that I will get back planty of times. That has happened. That was my fourth time in the same hotel joining more and more. When I am in that hotel I feel myself a part of the History not only the hotel but the area. Last time we have been at the Goldoni suite. Original furnitures, painting of Goldoni, the musician and luxury.
Comfortable rooms, excellent food, wonderful SPA, amating terrace with nice breakfast.
i can talk only in "superlatives". I love it.
Very kind, helpful and friendly staff who are always at your service.
The under the same ownership is "The RIVIERA" where you can have a nice swim in the sea on their private beach.

Room Tip: Suites are perfect for families.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank penny p
AlexBenvenuti, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guests,
I am delighted to hear about your excellent time spent at Duchi d'Aosta and would like to thank you for sharing the best of your stay.

Your praise on the service and the friendly team is highly appreciated. The same goes for the Spa and the restaurant.

The unique location of the hotel on the monumental main square and close to the shopping area is ideal to enjoy peacefulness and live at the city pace of life.

I hope that you will have another opportunity to stay again with us in a near future and I look forward to this.

Yours sincerely,
Alex Benvenuti
London
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Lovely stylish little hotel in the very centre looking out onto the Piazza d'unita. You dont stay in a hotel like this for its modernities, but more for its character, elegance and finesse derived from the dated decor.

We were upgraded (for free) to a room with a view over the Piazza, it also came with the famous Bora wind!

Very helpful reception staff, great buffet breakfast with lovely fresh yoghurt and prunes! Nice spa with sauna, steam room and jacuzzi !

Location - very close to the bus/train station

Would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the Piazza, we were upgraded as it was our birthdays!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AngelCake340
Rio de Janeiro, Br
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The hotel must have been a very good one, a long time ago. It's stuffy, the air condition in the lobby could be stronger, the staff could be more courteous. The bathroom had one of those fit in showers, small. The breakfast could have hot milk, coffe and water for tea.
I don;t reccomend. The only good thing is that is very central.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisRocha
Rodange, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 12, 2012

+ very good situation in the middle of the town. Breakfast complete. and fresh. Good rate Price-Quality for this standard. Old house but renovated and in very good hand.
- No parking: private parking service for €23 per day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank ERIC L
Haymarket, VA
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you are looking for the perfect location, atmosphere, and ambiance, then this is your spot. Located directly on the Piazza Unita D'Italia, the Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta is the perfect spot from which to explore the city of Trieste. Checking in was surprisingly simple by car. There are temporary parking spots located directly to the side of the hotel from which you can offload your luggage and turn your keys over to the valet. The hotel staff was exceptionally professional and helpful, and upgraded us to a junior suite directly overlooking the piazza (with no prompting). Breakfast is served every morning in Harry's Bar, and is a great value. My wife and I were able to explore the entire downtown area on foot from this location in a matter of only a few hours. Grand, glorious, and historical.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple