“Hotel is well situated in Trieste, but don't expect too much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of NH Trieste

NH Trieste
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Zürich
“Hotel is well situated in Trieste, but don't expect too much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This hotel is at the main road just off the harbour, between old town and the main station -- about two minutes to walk from the trains.

The main road gets quite busy in the morning, but on the Sunday night when I arrived, there was not much traffic. I was nevertheless happy that I requested a quiet room, which in this case was in the inner courtyard, and indeed quiet, also because there were only few other guests in the hotel.

The hotel looks a bit run down from the outside (the facade would at least need a bit of paint to brighten it up), but that is in line with many other buildings nearby.... Also inside, there was nothing that impressed me, cheap furniture in the bedroom, but at least, everything was in order.

I usually test the responsiveness of the hotel's service by requesting a quiet room via email. A lot of hotels, cheap and expensive ones, don't bother to reply at all. I. This case, after a day, I received an email that "for privacy reasons" my room request could only be dealt with if I gave them not only my name and date, but also confirmation number and who made the booking. This was in the morning of my arrival. I immediately replied and gave them the details, but I also phoned up as I feared that my request would not be registered in time. Indeed, only at about midnight when I was already sleeping in my hotel room, someone replied that was request was noted, but cannot be guaranteed until my check-in at the hotel. Obviously, the person responding did not even realise that I was already at the hotel and had checked in, although the header of my email clearly stated the dates....

The breakfast has an extended choice for Italian standards, but if compare it to most other countries in Europe, where you really have a big breakfast buffet, you will be disappointed. The quality of the coffee has been already commented on in other reviews, the cappuccino is made of soluble powder and tastes accordingly. And the waiter in the breakfast room that morning completely ignored his guests, not a single hello, neither eye contact...

I need to comment on the WiFi, which unfortunately has its clear limitations: a limited bandwidth, which means it regularly breaks off and there is also a limit on the amount of data. If you use devices like an iPad, you won't be happy with it, as they often draw quite large amounts of data. My bandwidth was already used up in the evening, but fortunately, you can get additional access codes at the reception. More annoying was the fact that the bandwith was so low, web pages etc. got stuck and I had to reload all the time. I would expect that a better service would be provided for a 4 star hotel.

Overall, I am neutral with this hotel, nothing which kept me excited, but also no major issues. Next time I would try another hotel just to see what else is available in Trieste.

Room Tip: I was in a room facing the inner courtyard, and I believe this at means that you are shielded from t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel is value for money & you can upgrade your room by paying a minimum surcharge - good sales strategy. A minor setback is lobby is
only accessible by climbing a flight of stairs. The breakfast is adequate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

1 Thank rob1833
Greenwich, ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

My first stay at this hotel it was few decades ago, when it belonged to the Jolly Hotels chain.
It was a slow but steady downwards until it was took over by NH Hoteles.
The rooms have been freshened up, but still you can feel "something's missing".
One thing for sure, there are very few electric outlets, so I had to disconnect the TV (it was not working any way) to charge my phone. There was a minibar, but not coffee maker.
If you get a room facing the main road, it might be noisy.
The restaurant has a good menu, and the food was good, as well as the service.
If you arrive by train, this is the closest hotel: 5 minutes walking and you're there, but if you're up for a longer walk (or a taxi ride), there are other hotels within NH price range.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We spent just one night here. Many reviews were scary about room's conditions. We had a renewed one at 4th floor with just a 15 euros extra; it was nice and clean, staff was super nice and friendly, breakfast excellent with a good variety of food. Position is great , just 10 minutes walk from piazza UNita' and there's a parking for your car just around the corner for 15 euros x day.
Nice experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came from venice by train to attend conference at this hotel,was just 2 min walk from railway station.Initially wifi was not working,but hotel staff asked me to contact Swisscom for that from the hotel room phone.i contacted them and they helped my device getting connected to wifi.I stayed here for 3 days and I enjoyed an awesome stay .There breakfast was excellent,lunch and dinner was a little problem as me being a veggie had less options but the chef there cooked me vegetable soup daily on special request which was really touching.They told me where and when to go which saved time,like for example the reception staff prevented me from going to douini castle on Tuesday as it remains closed on that day.they even packed me morning breakfast when I had to catch morning 7 am train.I had an excellent memorable stay at the place

Room Tip: Contact reception and they will tell you a number for Swisscom if your wifi is not connecting in you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Quit nice hotel.
Well located near the city center. Rooms are not too small and the breakfast is good. A little noisy for the rooms near the main street.
It could be good to have a power point near the bed for mobile.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

A well located hotel, close to the bus and train station as well as to the city centre and the Convention centre. Reception staff was professional and ready to accommodate guests’ needs although not all of them spoke English and it was sometimes difficult to get the right information. My room was of a good size and with a rather comfortable bed. The furniture was rather dated, though. Although the cleaning service seemed to be doing a pretty good job, the room still felt dusty due to the old, dark carpet and curtains. The bathroom was clean, with an extra supply of towels.

There is free-of-charge wireless internet throughout the hotel, but make sure you have proper extensions for your computer plug in case of a low battery since all the sockets are non-standard. Breakfast was good with a selection of juices, good coffee and a reasonable buffet to choose from.

The biggest downside was noise. I think it is impossible to get a quiet room. Three sides of the hotel, out of four, are overlooking rather busy streets and the sound insulation between the rooms is practically non-existent. Minutes after I insisted on having a quiet room and got one overlooking some old buildings, the room next to mine was given to a young couple with a small baby. Due to the baby’s crying and his/her parents’ trying to calm it down by loud singing, I asked for the change of rooms which was promptly done. No luck. Noise from the street and rather loud hotel guests made any real rest impossible. In general, both the hotel guests and hotel staff (especially in the breakfast room) tend to disregard the fact that there are other people around that might not appreciate overhearing their private conversations.

Room Tip: In case you do not smoke, make sure you ask for a room on a non-smoking floor. Electrical sockets a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business