“A lesson in customer service would help!”

Savoia Excelsior Palace – Starhotels Collezione
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Trieste
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Old style hotel that needs a few “customer service” upgrades. Painting walls just 15 feet outside our door with drop cloths on the floor does not paint (excuse the pun) very good image for the hotel. Customer service … hmmm. I had informed the Concierge that we would be celebrating our 56th wedding anniversary while staying in the hotel and someone decided to put a little anniversary gift in our room … a small box with 2 small cookies in it!! We had paid for a 4 night stay and departed after the 3rd day … just did not feel comfortable in this hotel and will not return. Lastly, parking is non-existent (guests must all be walking to the hotel or arriving by taxi) and, you must pay 30 Euros ($40 US) just to park your car while staying in the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,647)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I personally had a bad experience at this hotel.

1) There is only one iron in the entire hotel. I kid you not. I rang up the night before work the following morning and was told it would be available in the morning. When I rang up someone else was using it. I was talk wait 15mins. After one hour and 15mins the hotel offered to iron them for me (after cheekily trying to charge me first!). So this messed up my preparation for work etc.

2) There is a flashing light just inside the door to the room that wouldn't go off all night which resulted in a terrible nights sleep. When I reported it to reception they were fully aware of it and have had complaints before!!! Its ridiculous to think that they are aware of this and just let it happen continuously.

3) One of the mornings there I was half way through my breakfast and got up to get a glass of water. My food was half eaten, my bag was on the other chair and a report was on the table itself. I got back 20seconds later and the staff had removed all my breakfast!

For what is supposed to be a good hotel the above is unacceptable although you can make an exception for the breakfast. One iron in a hotel like this is beyond farcical.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Businesstravellerr8
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a majestic hotel on the waterfront with views of the Adriatic Sea and the sweeping bay.
The rooms are spacious, beautiful and are well appointed. The staff are very helpful and attentive. Meals are excellent and the bar and library areas are superb.
Treat yourself to a stay at what is a really great hotel in a city that is waiting to be discovered.

Room Tip: Book a harbour view on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This place is more like a museum than a normal hotel. It's beautiful...even if it reminded me a little bit of my grandmother's living room.

I was upgraded to a suite, and the place was extremely well thought out. This hotel is top of the line - there's no question about it.

Breakfast was mediocre, but everything else is terrific.

Tip: you can park across the street overnight in the metered parking for super cheap.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the ocean side, do it. It's gorgeous.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We've just spent two nights at the Starhotels Savoia and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms very comfortable. We stayed on the first floor and had a lovely view of the bay from a large balcony. It was lovely to wake up in the morning and see the sea. We only ate breakfast at the hotel (which was nice), but had a couple of drinks in the bar. The bar area is lovely and relaxing.
The only downsides I can think of are that you have to pay for wifi in your room - and using wifi in the main areas wasn't easy! You have to get a code from reception. While our room wasn't completely soundproof - you could hear running water and toilets flushing upstairs. However this really didn't bother us much and I assume is part and parcel of an old building!
We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a Grand Hotel in the old style - but with luxuriously modernised rooms and bathrooms. Our immaculate room had a balcony with sweeping views over the bay with the Miramare Castle visible in the distance and a visiting cruise liner moored just across the road. It was spacious and comfortable and even had a kitchenette. The reception staff were extremely helpful and efficient but those in the dining room rather hard to find, a knock on the kitchen door at lunch time was needed. We glanced in in the evening and the restaurant was deserted. The lobby bar is vast, very elegant but again understaffed and slightly impersonal. However they serve some of the best, and definitely the largest, selection of cocktail nibbles I have ever had. Wi Fi is available but you must pay for it which is annoying and unnecessary. The central location makes both sightseeing and shopping very easy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We didn't plan to visit Trieste.The hotel which we picked because a good friend let us know about it.It by itself is a reason to visit Trieste.We arrived afternoon and were offered a regular room'which we accepted.But there were all booked so we were given instead a suite,not to the beach.It was like a dream/A hotel built on 1912 that was restored during 2006-2009.The smell,the wide corridors,the big rooms,the comfortable bed,the bathroom.You name it.
Breakfast was a bit of a dissapointment.Omelettes and capuccino were not served as part of the deal,so we were told.And no fresh vegetables.
If asked,this is one of the best hotels we ever stayed,and the best in this trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends