“Slipping in Quality & Service”
Review of Antico Panada

Antico Panada
Ranked #64 of 892 Restaurants in Trieste
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Consistenlty the best Reasonable Fish place in Trieste. I have seen it on other sites/books
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have been to Antico Panada 3 or 4 times previously and we tried it once more in late June while in Trieste for business. After a little disagreement with the owner regarding wanting to eat at a table outdoors along the canal, we started to walk away when magically, the owner "found" an available table. The meal started out on this bitter note.

Once seated (and exchanging angry looks with the owner) a young waitress appeared with menus and drink orders. I must say, outdoor seating on a cool summers eve makes for a nice way to dine, but the atmosphere was already damaged upon our arrival.

We started with a mixed seafood salad served on top of a bed of lettuce. The seafood seemed to be fresh and there were no apparent frozen items in the salad. This was followed by ravioli with a seafood filling, topped with crustaceans and shellfish. It was tasty though the dish lacked in presentation, as several of the ravioli were served broken. For an entree we had the monk fish prepared the Venetian way, roasted with shrimp and served with a side of polenta.

While the food was adequate, I will not return to Antico Padana as there are many other choices to eat at in Trieste. Check out my review for Antica Trattoria Le Barettine.

1  Thank Mirto56

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We had our dinner in this restaurant, for me it has nice interior, it is perfectly big (or small), the food was nice. It is true that the servise does not follow the level of food, but anyway I enjoyed our meal. It also has nice location by the canal.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

The place does have a great location and extensive wine menu, but in truth the service is average and the menu fails to deliver all the way through. A antipasti, pasta, fish main course, along with 2 veggie side dishes and a half liter of wine was around 80 euro.

In truth the location was great, but everything else was average. My monkfish had a good base, but some pieces were undercooked, while others were completely overcooked. Same for the potatoes.

All around, a bit overpriced but one of the better options when staying near the train station on a sunday night when everything is closed in Trieste

Reviewed September 28, 2011

It was suggested by local acquaintances and proved to be a good choice. It offers a variety of meat and fish dishes, tasty salads, a range of wines ...
You will also find locals dinning there; not only tourists.
The service was prompt and the check was reasonable.
Seating outside, next to the big channel in a warm autumn night, was a lovely experience.
May be difficult to notice the sign and distinguish it among other shops, but it worth looking for it.
I will certainly choose it again and will not hesitate to take a customer there.

1  Thank HotelCooler
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I had a different impression from the other recent reviewers. Actually the service was perfect: friendly, helpful and attentive, so much so that I ordered a wine, didn't like it - although it was in perfect conditions - and they changed it without charging me. This NEVER happens no matter where you are and the fact they obliged is worth of mention. The food was OK, but nothing really special. The place is very nice. All in all, it is worth a very good, admittedly more for service, location and design that for food.

1  Thank apalmero