“a very romantic room”

Victoria Hotel Letterario
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Trieste
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We chose the hotel for a two days stay in Trieste. We booked a superior room which surprised us with a four-poster bed and a fire place. Not real one, but very pleasant. The room was spacious, same a bathroom. The room was just perfectly designed.
The staff was nice. They serve very good breakfast. Cappuccino was one of the best we ever drank.
It is very difficult to find a parking place near the hotel but they suggest to use a rented one not far away.

Room Tip: superior rooms are perfect
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tp1970
Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Was here for a few days this week. The staff went out of their way to make the stay excellent. The spa was excellent. If you want spotless rooms this could be the place for you. Absolutely nothing bad to say. Close to everything. Would come back in a minute.

Room Tip: I can not believe there is a bad one
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank raymonds288
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Price: We booked hotel on Expedia at a decent rate. We felt it was good value

Location (transfers): About 15 minutes walk to the bus station that connects to Trieste airport (bus every half hour, takes about an hour, timetable on Trieste airport website). Not hard to find hotel but take a map.

Location (sightseeing): Trieste sights are concentrated on the harbour side and on the hill in the city centre with the castle on it. This hotel appears on the map to be too far inland but Trieste is actually quite small and we walked everywhere. The castle was a nice 15 minute walk and the town centre / main square about the same.

Trieste as a city: Not much to do, we thought, but excellent restaurants (see reviews!)

Hotel staff / facilities: Staff were fantastic and booked taxi’s, restaurants etc. as needed. A private spa you can book for 2 people for 1.5 hours – good value at 15 Euro’s each.

Food: Limited breakfast buffet but really how much do you need?

Sleep: The best bed I’ve slept in for a long time. Blackout curtains. Our room was top floor and rear facing so very quiet.

Other: The room was a bit minimalist but very nice. Had a big TV but limited English channels, not surprising as you’re in Italy, not England

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AR_London
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is my first time to be in Trieste, Hotel Victoria is very clean and New and the staffs are
most friendly.The breaKfast is nice except for poor choices for tea as I am a tea lover. A four
stars hotel should have good tea of the right kind . Not those that one can find in the super
market next door. Also offered services must have receipts. Besides, these 2 points, I must
say, it is 80% good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the roads are good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Whatisyrbudject
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent one night at Hotel Victoria at the beginning of our ‘3-country-Easter-weekend’.
One day in Trieste is definitely not enough - but that just means we have an excuse to return.
We are both so in love with this hotel.
Its history is fantastic. To think that James Joyce lived in this building just makes it really special.
All the common areas and corridors have stunning paintings with quotes from Joyce’s works produced by a local artist.
Location is right in the middle of town and the staff could not have been more courteous. We also got upgraded from a superior room to a junior suite which was just stunning.
My favourite element was the fireplace! We loved sitting by it with a glass of prosecco before going to bed.
Everything feels really new and fresh. Such a pleasure to stay here. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank claudia186338
Reviewed May 6, 2013

NB: This is a review of the Residence and not the hotel rooms.

I stayed at Hotel Victoria's residence next door to the hotel since I was staying in the wonderful city of Trieste for three months from end September to end December.

I can't say enough about how fantastic the stay was with the hotel residence. In fact, I returned there for a shorter visit in 2013.

For me, one of the true tests of a hotel/hospitality establishment is how they handle a situation when the client is not happy. Hotel Victoria staff and the management handled it very well. I arrived in Trieste for the three month stay and there were some issues with the apartment I was renting. After expressing my disappointment, I was really happy how everyone at the hotel made things right. In fact it left me with such a positive impression. Thank you!

So for the (+) and (-)

(+) The staff of the hotel. The very best! They are kind, helpful and willing to make the stay as pleasant as possible. A special word of thanks to the staff in the breakfast room. Every morning I would come down and the staff would have my mandatory cappuccino waiting for me! So lovely!
(+) Studio apartments are well appointed with modern and comfortable furnishings. The bathrooms are modern, clean and have excellent toiletries.
(+) As a residence (rather than a hotel) the studio apartments are cleaned twice weekly. But the work is done well and appropriately. But be prepared to tidy up after yourself when you cook because they don't take care of that.

Minor (-)

(-) The kitchens are OK but not the best equipped ever. So if like me you are planning a longer stay, you ought to be prepared to buy some additional items. Nothing major but be aware.
(-) While the hotel is centrally located, it is not right on the bay front of the city so you are looking at a 10-15 minute walk. But most everything you need is less than 5 minutes away.
(-) RESIDENCE only (not the hotel): There is an elevator in the grand residence building. However, it stops halfway between the floors where you find the studio apartments requiring you to climb a small flight of steps - so be aware of that if you are a person with restricted mobility or you have heavy suitcases. Having said that, when I arrived with a suitcase the size of a planet, the staff helped me get it into the apartment!

Overall - a great property and one that I will use in the future for my next visits to Trieste. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ravenna2006
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We spent just two nights but appreciated the quality of this hotel. The room was a good size, as was the bathroom. It was immaculately clean, with everything working and of a quality you would expect from a 4/5 star hotel. The breakfasts were amongst the best we have ever had, and the staff were friendly efficient and very helpful with maps and suggestions as to sites and eating places. They would also book for you.
The location was excellent, providing you don't mind a 10 minute walk to restaurants or the harbour. We are pleased to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple