“a hidden traditional place”

Antipastoteca di Mare Alla Voliga
Ranked #9 of 874 Restaurants in Trieste
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We went to the place for a dinner just thanks to all the reviews on the Tripadviser and did not regret any minute.
Though a place hard to find, but the place was worth it. Food was very fresh and delicious. However, make sure you book a table in advance, as the place is small.
It serves traditional fish food and looked like being popular among the locals.
The bill was a very nice surprise in the end. Dinner for 2 was only 45 EUR.

1  Thank Natalja R

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Allow me to review an expectation of a future dinner, built on a visit in person.

We were in Trieste days ago, and checked out quite a few restaurants while visiting the town - say half a dozen. Or maybe visited half a dozen recommended restaurants to choose one for dinner and stumbled upon some sights on our way, granted.

This had by far the most interesting menu of all, and the best prices. They also were the only one fully booked. Even more importantly, of all full restaurants I ever visited in my life, this was the most hospitable and friendly in welcoming us nevertheless and convincing us to get there again whenever we would be back in town.

If I get to Trieste again, I trust this will be my first choice.

1  Thank GianlucaMarcellino
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We came to this restaurant by reviews on Trip Advisor. After eating at the restaurant we have to agree with the Excellent reviews. We showed up around 7 p.m. to be welcomed in by the owner. We were the only customers for about an hour on this Thursday night in early August.
For our first course we had the seafood soup and seafood lasagna, which were both spectacular. We followed this with grilled fish and finished with apple strudel with chocolate drizzled on top. We were assured that all that we had was made in the scratch kitchen. We enjoyed the house Tocai wine with dinner.
The biggest advantage of this award winning restaurant is that it is out of the way and therefore not crowded. This allows the two owners to welcome each guest, wait the tables and cook the food. Our dinner totaled 47 euros including wine and water, the first course, second course, a shared salad, and strudels for two people.

1  Thank C P
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Google maps sent me the hard way - up the hill to the castle and down a bit. What we found was the best meal of our trip. The owner chatted with us a bit and then told what we should order. The fish soup was the best I've ever had. Nothing fancy but excellent food prepared by people who are passionate about what they do.

1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed July 1, 2012

After reading the other reviews here, I've decided to try this place myself. As a starter, I've ordered a skewer with shrimps. That was just delicious. Really, one of the best starters I have memory of. The pasta I've ordered soon thereafter was very good also. And price was adequate (I've spent 20€ total, including 5€ for two cans of coke - so, that makes 15€ for two delicious fish dishes). I've also been impressed by the atmosphere. There are no thrills, but the feeling is that of a owner and chef who really cares about preserving traditions and good recipes. If you're looking for a place where to eat some good fish, or are a tourist visiting Trieste and wish to experience the typical Trieste's seafood restaurant, then this is the place for you. Just a word of warning to end this review: they don't accept credit cards. So make sure you bring cash with you!