Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM

from $69.70
from $127.80
from $244.00
More Info
All reviews san vitale byzantine mosaics hagia sophia empress theodora his wife buy a ticket visit ravenna ticket office take your time early christian national museum mausoleum of galla placidia beautiful church within walking distance jaw dropping awe inspiring great mosaics
Reviewed 4 days ago

Part and parcel of the entrance fee with the Mausoleo next door, San Vitale is a beautiful mosaic-laden church in spectacular condition. Look up and down! Ceilings and floors are both beautiful.

Reviewed 1 week ago

The mosaics here are certainly amazing. We traveled to Ravenna specifically to see them and were glad we did. The main area where the mosaics are was somewhat crowded when we were there, but it is nothing like being in the massive crowds in Venice or Florence. There were numerous tour groups making their way through, so it was somewhat noisy at times. The unadorned vaults and the sunken baptismal pool were also enjoyable to see here.
This attraction is packaged together with several other locations that are all on a single ticket. Included on the ticket are the Basilica San Vitale, the Mausoleum of Galla Placida, the Basilica of Sant’Apollimare Nuovo, Neonian Baptistery and the Archbishop’s Museum/Chapel of Saint Andrew. The price was nine and a half euro which seemed very reasonable. We were easily able to visit all 5 locations on the ticket in a single day. It is an easy and casual stroll from one location to another.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Basilica started under King Teodorico in 526 was never finished, except the main altar - a little gem of its own.Splendid mosaics of Emperor Justinian and Empress Theodora.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Beautiful mosaics. If you have been to Turkey and other Muslim countries, you have probably seen mosaic work before. But this is different because they depict Christianity and people (you will not see human images elsewhere). If you are in Ravenna, just go, you will not regret it

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I have never in my life seen a building like this. The inside mosaic covered walls and ceilings are positively stunning. It’s hard to believe that this small town has so many UNESCO heritage sites. And they are in such a great state of preservation. This is a wonderful day trip from Bologna or other nearby cities.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were staying in Bologna and took the 1 hour train ride to Ravenna and was it ever worth it. The mosaics are so colourful and beautiful and I don’t think I have ever seen anything like it in my travels. I’m not sure if the church is in the midst of a restoration but it was also interesting to see parts of the church that wasn’t restored yet because you can almost feel the history of the place. The thing I will remember most about this place is the sculpture of 4 angels on the church wall. It just looked so out of place and it made me laugh.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were in Ravenna for several days (visiting a friend who is from there) and this was the best and most memorable thing that we saw.

Just an incredible space.

My wife pointed out that as people were coming in you could see their mouths fall open at the beauty of it all.

The mosaics, the paintings, the carvings and the entire structure of the building is really pretty special.

At the same time it feels 'untouched' somehow- there aren't endless information panels, or a gift shop or anything like that- so you get to experience the magic in your own way, in your own time.

2  Thank AlexSwallow
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We brought the multi ticket to visit all five of the related mosaic attractions for $10.50 euro. What an excellent deal! It includes a map as the sights are located all around the old city. The mosaics are fabulous. Each attraction had numerous small signs describing the history and significance of the artifacts viewed in multiple languages, including English. This was an excellent choice for our stay here as it was a very good value and most enjoyable!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wow!!! Can I give 6 stars??
This was the most amazing mosaic tile work I have ever seen.
It was truly breathtaking and not crowded so you could take your time seeing things.
I wish I brought binoculars so I could see the upper areas better.
I still can't comprehend that this is more than 1000 years old,

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

This ancient church has the most beautiful and artistic mosaics I have ever seen. Lots of tour groups on a Sunday morning, although the church closes from 10am to 13pm for mass. Don’t miss this experience.