“Give yourself time”

Museo Nazionale di Ravenna
Ranked #17 of 92 things to do in Ravenna
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a large museum with some absolute gems of very early Italian art as well as much of archeological interest. Half a day can easily be spent exploring its delights.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

It makes you stop and appreciate life and its people who care about history lasting for ever. It had me in a trans the whole time I felt like I was living the era.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

With all the other things to look at in this complex of buildings (all with separate tickets needed to maximize the fleecing of the few tourists unfortunate enough to be deposited in Ravenna for a day) I am unsure of how I ended up on one of the few genuinely disappointing museums I have ever been in. Most of it is upstairs, but it took a while to figure that out from the brochure I was handed for my 10 Euro cost of entry (roughly). There are some random pieces of ancient buildings and arches scattered around a courtyard on the ground floor, and a few things upstairs that are neat (like a weapons collection), but I found the folks who worked there that were not sleeping in their chairs not particularly friendly or helpful, since I probably woke them up and they were mainly there to make sure I had paid for entrance. I generally love Museums and can spend hours in them while my wife shops, but in this case the highlight was having to exit so I could go rescue her from not having enough cash to pay for her espresso; it was so confusing to navigate it took the better part of 10 minutes to find the way down during which time I covered most of the exhibits. Put this on the bottom of your list of things to do in Ravenna, and now that I know there is an amusement park nearby I may not as strongly recommend putting Ravenna down at the bottom of places to visit in Italy.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We enjoyed this museum. It has some beautiful mosaics and other historical items. Since it is housed in a former Benedictine monastary, it is a bit confusing to follow the layout of the museum.

2  Thank luvroma2