“Great location and price, easy parking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Diana

Hotel Diana
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Ravenna
Santa Barbara, CA
“Great location and price, easy parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is very well-located for visiting the UNESCO sites (and all the other wonderful things in Ravenna) and parking nearby is not a problem (but finding the hotel is tricky because of the 1-way streets). Hotel Diana is adequately furnished, the bathrooms are modern, WiFi is free, and the beds are firm. The only toiletries provided are bar soap and tube of body wash on the shower wall. No tissues, no shampoo, no frills. Breakfast was fine and the breakfast room staff was pleasant. I think the much-admired Fillipo must have been away for the weekend as the "welcome" and hospitality were lack-luster. I was expecting the warmth described by other reviewers, but we didn't find it. What we did find, was a clean, comfortable hotel of the 3-star level, a quiet room and a great location. Not much tourist information in English. We could walk everywhere we needed to go, and after the hill-towns, the horizontal nature of Ravenna was very welcome!

Room Tip: Though there's a lift, our room could only be reached by climbing the equivalent of a flight of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jagggs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I just returned from a spectacular trip to Italy with my husband, son and a very good friend. Staying at Hotel Diana will be one of our most memorable experiences. From the minute we arrived, the hotel staff was attentive and made us feel right at home. Our rooms were clean, bright and spacious. The breakfast was impressive and once again the staff was top notch. Flippio took it upon himself to arrange a city tour for us and recommend exciting and wonderful restaurants for us to visit. I wish all hotels had the level of service we experienced and I want to thank Fillipo and the rest of the staff for making our stay so remarkable. I for one can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Connie M
Bettendorf, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had a very sick small child and could not travel. I called the Hotel Diana and spoke with a very nice gentleman who said it was OK, and we would not be charged.

We were.

I emailed the hotel referencing my conversation and requested a credit.

Nothing happened.

I called and spoke with a woman who said there was a mix up, and that she would have my card credited and would respond to my email.

Nothing happened.

I regret leaving this type of feedback, but I hate businesses that treat customers like this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank esfesq
Umbi, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Diana, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
We are surprised about your complaining which is completely unfounded. When you have called us to cancell your reservation, it was told to you that for us there will not be a problem but, since you have booked through Venere.com you should cancel your reservation directly to Venere.com.
Since, we didn't receive any communication from Venere.com about your cancellation, the addebit to your account was done automatically according to the Cancellation Policy agreement.
We can not think that you believe that Hotel Diana, that is on the market since 1984 under the same management, is obliged to tricks for a few Euros.
As soon as Venere.com will communicate to us your booking cancellation, and you will provide us your account number, be sure that you will receive through bank transfer equal amount that was addebit from your account regarding your stay in our Hotel.
Kind regards
Filippo Donati
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had a terrific time staying at this hotel. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant and accommodating. I especially want to point out 2 of the front desk staff members, Fillipo and Ardita. They really made my stay that much more memorable.

I traveled with one other family member and we each stayed (separately) in one of the newly renovated rooms, which was clean, spacious, modern, and very comfortable. The room also had a small fridge with 2 complimentary bottles of water, sparkling and still. Such a nice touch! The breakfast was also great and the dining area nicely decorated and relaxing. I booked directly with the hotel, simply by calling, and the price was so reasonable. Especially if you're traveling alone. The hotel is a short walk to the main square and all the best museums and sites in Ravenna. There is also a reasonably priced (affiliated) parking garage right next door to the hotel, and the hotel will gladly let you in and out of that garage if you need to use your car in the evening or when the garage is otherwise closed.

The most difficult aspect of this trip was driving the myriad of narrow, one way streets in Ravenna and locating the hotel. But once you familiarize yourself with the area, it all becomes much easier. This hotel also has an advantage, since it is located just outside the historic center and the restricted traffic zone. So you can drive right up to it and unload your bags. Keep in mind the street is very narrow, so you'll need to pull up fairly close and put your hazards on and then move your car quickly. I highly recommend using the secure parking garage next door rather than trying to find other parking options, as navigating the labyrinth of one way streets will only frustrate you and perhaps end up costing you more in the long run. Peace of mind is worth every cent.

Restaurants seem to close fairly early in Ravenna, so when you're walking around town during the day check out the menus and make a reservation if possible. Best to plan for dinner before 9pm.

Ravenna is a beautiful historic city that feels much more like a small town. Unlike Roma, Firenze, or Venezia, the beauty of Ravenna may not be as immediate. But once you start making your way through the town, and start visiting the ancient churches, exploring all the mosaics and other artistic treasures, you realize it is equally beautiful. Take your time to enjoy it all and be sure to unwind at the local cafes. Go shopping. Read a book in one of the many parks. One of the best things about Ravenna is the pace of life. It is far more relaxed and laid back, without the endless throngs of tourists that you'll encounter in Firenze or Venezia. If you stay 3 days you'll really get a good feel for the city. Stay longer and you'll start to feel like a local.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated room if possible. Don't worry about getting a room with a view. Few...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank xtos
Stockholm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Friendly but very simple hotel. Needs redecoration. Breakfast with very little proteins but apart from that a wide range of foods. Lots of sugar though. Non functional minibar, warm inside. 2 bottles of water in it (warm). Friendly staff. Difficult to find the hotel with car. Get a map in advance ti find pedestrian zones.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Maria E
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was very spacious, clean and a well managed hotel. The owners are gracious, speak English fluently and were very helpful.

The rooms were large and well maintained, the lobby was very spacious and the breakfast included meat, cheese, cereal, yogurt, fruit and pastries along with the usual beverages. I was impressed with the service.

The walk from the train station was less than a kilometer, I did it with a roller bag with no problem. The location is perfectly located on the perimeter of the pedestrian path ways. There was no street noise in my room (in the back as requested).

Room Tip: I asked for a room in the back with the least street noise. It worked out great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Although I did not arrive particularly early, the superior single use room I reserved was not ready, but the receptionist upgraded me to their "comfort level room" without hesitation. I had walked from the train station, in the rain, and I was ready for dry clothes.

The room was lovely. Bright with a good window, and spacious, with a grand size bathroom ( by European standards.) I was delighted.

Breakfast was on the sumptuous side, with lots of choices: fruits, meats, cereals, breads and more. Self served in a glass enclosed garden room, I enjoyed it both days of my stay. The pictures provided by the hotel are very representative

I definitley recommend. If there was one complaint, a map to the hotel from the train station would be great, as it is an easy 10 min walk-unless you get lost!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo