“Ham Heaven!”

Parma Golosa Gourmet Tours
Ranked #8 of 18 Tours in Parma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We will share with you the products that have founded Italy's world renowned culinary culture. It is a chance truly enhance your taste experience and enjoy these amazing delicacies. Incredible products that take years to age: like Parmigiano Reggiano, Prosciutto di Parma, and Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Reggio Emilia are artisanally produced according to age-old traditions from the area of Parma.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are anywhere near Parma and wish to do a foodie tour, this is the one for you! We were quite lucky to get David as our tour guide and boy did we hit the jackpot!

David took us on tours of 3 different places: a cheese factory, Parma ham factory, and balsamic winery. We learned so much and got to try samples of the high quality, wonderful tasting, fresh food specialties of the Parma region! We had the "light" lunch at a winery and it was lovely. Wine, cheese, ham plate, and bread. I think in hindsight I would've done the full lunch option and that included pasta as well. Only because I am not a huge meat eater, so I only ate about half of my ham plate (it was a LOT of meat!). My husband and his sister however had no problems at all with it. Their plates were clean! :)

Thank you David and Parma Golosa for a wonderful, memorable tour of the delicious foods of Parma. Do not hesitate to take this tour. It will be one that you remember for years to come!

2  Thank Stephanie W

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was a very special tour, our guid Davide was really great. Bought coffee for us on the way and gave us a great day. We did the tour and included balsamic, ham and cheese. I make chees myself and also have had some experience with preserving meat. I found the tour fantastic, informative and fun. My husband and our daughter agree- our daughter is 22 years old, so it definitely appeals to all ages. The lunch at the castle was very good. A homely meal and the castle is spectacular. I have no negative things to say at all about this tour or the guide. Davide had us stop on the way before finishing to buy his wife some cakes in a local pasticceria- how lovely. We bought some too! Davide's local knowledge of the area and the products was exemplary and I would highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank Fil V
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We visited the parmigiano maker, balsamic vinegar and the parma ham maker. We ended with a light lunch (meaning that we more or less had to crawl home having had so much to eat. We just loved it! Best day ever. We have recommended it to every one we know.

Sarah was our guide. She was extremely passionated and knowledgable and and spoke impeccable English. The tour deserves much more than a five. If your anywhere near Parma (we drove from Bologna), don´t hesitate. Just book it!

1  Thank Tyrter
Reviewed August 5, 2012

These guys have a first class operation and all I want to do is add my vote to the pile. Wonderful guide, interesting insights to the foods, and also some nice commentary from someone who grew up in Parma and can talk about how things are changing. It's an interesting time in this region, as people from other parts of the world try to replicate the products they produce...led to some fascinating conversations.

2  Thank kbs2001
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our family had only one full day in Parma as part of a 3 week Italy trip and there was no way we were going to miss out on the opportunity to tour a Parmigiano Reggiano cheese factory and Prosciutto Di Parma production facility. We booked the tour through Parma Golosa and could't be happier that we chose this company. As many on TA have noted, Denise in the office is a pleasure to deal with. Our big issue was that our only opportunity to take the tour was on a Sunday. This was not a problem and Denise even joined us with a young couple from the US, which helped reduce our costs. We had a car, and were able to meet our tour guide at the Caseficio San Pier Damiani, just outside the Parma Centro.
Our tour guide, Elena, was FANTASTIC. There were five of us, myself, wife, mother and 2 kids, ages 5 and 8. My wife and I were worried that the kids would not be into the tour, but Elena helped make them comfortable and got a particular kick out of our 5 year old son, who has lots of energy. She helped coral that energy by joking with him and including him in the tour.
Elena works for the cheese consortium and her knowledge was outstanding. She took us through the entire process and we witnessed "The Birth of the Cheese", or in this case, 9 cheeses on that day. When we walked into the aging room with the wheels stacked from floor to ceiling, I joked to my wife, "I've been waiting my whole life for this moment". I think my mother asked Elena about 2 dozen questions and she always patiently listened and had an answer for all of them. Afterwards, we got to sample some of the variously aged cheese with some honey and balsamic cream. It was all delicious, as was this frizzy red wine (not lambrusco), that was served with it.
We then followed Elena to Langhirano, home of the ham. We made a pit stop at a great little Caffe/Bar called Zarotti for a quick caffe and then went to Salumificio Massimo. Of course, being Sunday, there was no one working, but Elena took us through the various cellars, explaining the process and finally ending in the curing room, which I think is what heaven might look like.
Although we weren't doing the lunch option, we followed Elena to the Castello di Torrechiara, so the kids could see the castle.
We bid our goodbyes to Elena and then headed back to Parma. Simply a magnificent experience from start to finish.

2  Thank Paul L