“Absolutely amazing!”

Parma Food n Wine Tours
Ranked #3 of 26 Food & Drink in Parma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The first choice of Parma's leading food tour hosts: FWT. Food n Wine Tours satisfy the needs of food loving tourists wanting to discover and taste the famous products of Parma, in the heart of the Italian culinary tradition. Tour professionals Angelo Fanzini and Nick Garrett share years of gourmet tour experience in the Emilia Romagna region and Parma food valley - a unique tour team offering the ultimate, personal quality 'Slow Food' gastronomic experiences. Our most popular 3 Kings tour has been built on trusted partnerships with our providers, securing for our clients the very best locations. Each tour is tailored to all of your needs including family groups, dietary requirements and special celebration events. We are a tour company you can trust for a beautifully planned Gourmet day and we have carefully crafted cascading price offers too. Enjoy our recommendations here on TA. Booking is simple: a Paypal deposit of 42.00 euros secures and confirms your tour.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went to Emilia-Romagna for our honeymoon, and knew we wanted to do a food tour to experience hands-on some of the wonderful products made in the region. I emailed a handful of food tour companies, but Nick responded the most promptly and gave us a much more reasonable price quote than many of the other tours. He was incredibly flexible and worked with us on the dates, even though we were visiting during the holiday month of August.

When we arrived for the tour, our guide Angelo met us at the train station in Parma. He spoke flawless English and was incredibly knowledgeable about not only the food products of ER but of the history, culture, and people of the area. He'd rented a very nice, comfortable car, and took us to the parmesan production site, the prosciutto factory, an incredible lunch at a local castle, and the gorgeous balsamic estate/vineyard. We bought as much as we could take back through US customs, and can't wait to recreate a feast of our own back home.

Everyone we met at the production sites were so friendly and outgoing - you could really tell that they were excited to share their knowledge and (delicious!) goods with visitors. Because Food-n-Walk lets you do individual tours, you really get a hands-on, in-depth experience... and the tastings were incredible! Angelo talked to us about good local wine pairings, dining etiquette, and the history of the "3 Kings" products. The lunch in the castle was amazing - the chef and Angelo worked together to bring us an amazing three-course tasting lunch with fantastic wine to go with each one.

All in all, this is an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience with friendly, informed guides, beautiful scenery, and amazing eats; we'd highly recommend it to anyone! Definitely one of the high points of our honeymoon!

Date of experience: August 2013
FWT11, Owner at Parma Food n Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Erin!! Erin!!! it was an absolute pleasure to give you Parma on a plate like this and on such a special vacation for you both!! It's hard for us to convey what you have said so perfectly about the day and the people we work together with. It's a rare genuine chemistry, respect and friendship thing... But most importantly the information you are sharing about our philosophy and Angelo's incredible way with people (and his knowledge) is so treasured by us and those out there about to invest and embark. Thank you so much once again. We love what we do.. especially when we have clients like you ;) xx Nick FWT

All reviews
"additional cost"
"served family style"
"exclusive tour"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 9 reviews
"answer questions"
in 3 reviews
"self drive"
in 3 reviews
"amazing food"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our tour guide was Angelo, and we loved him! So charming, funny, spoke perfect english, and very very knowledgable. What really highlighted this day were the people we met. Everyone was so friendly, happy to teach and explain, and of course have use taste their products (which were fantastic and we brought as much as we could transport home!). These passionate individuals all made this tour the best there is.
I am the "foodie" in my family and this was my selection for our long road trip throughout Europe. They had never done this sort of thing, so I will admit at first they weren't sure what to think! In the end, this turned out to be all of our absolute favorite part of the entire trip. I cannot stress enough how much I recommend this tour. The price was very reasonable considering what we got. It was also really nice that it was a private tour and we got to follow in our own vehicle. Our lunch (yum!) took place on the terrace of an incredible castle; the castle itself was one of my mom's favorite parts of our journey. This is a MUST if you are anywhere near the area. We will never forget this experience...

Date of experience: May 2013
FWT11, Owner at Parma Food n Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thanks for this lovely recommendation - Yes Angelo is, apart from being a great buddy, surely one of the most complete professionals I have come across in years. In fact Angelo sat with me on day1 assisting the creation of the FWT name concept and website. A few years on and he is sharing his local knowledge and loving the experience of working with you... great and special clients.

We talk about this regularly (just how sweet, appreciative and amazing our clients are). Tomorrow we are booked to eat pizza and reflect on what a great privilege it is to spend memorable days with lovers of such foods... and to spend time with these sensational and dedicated traditional makers.

Thank you. This is so important to us. Your Joy is our true reward. N FWT

Reviewed June 10, 2013

(1)If u email Nick, u will find he gives very concise/casual responses, like the reviewer before me mentioned. I was like "hmmm, ok, let's see if this will fly". He seemed the most reasonable guy since the other company basically quoted me DOUBLE the normal tour price because I did not plan to drive my own car. I found that rather absurd since they were going to drive ANYWAYS and I was a solo traveler that would fit easily in anyone's car. So, if you don't plan to rent a car, write him.

(2)So I bit the bullet and showed up at Parma train station, thinking how in the world this would work (I did not have a cell phone in Europe). Parma station is not big, and somehow after ~2 min of worry someone approached me and voila I was found. Guess it's kind of obvious who looks like a tourist looking for a tour.

(3)Nick is a cool transplanted Scot (with British sense of humor) who's been in Italy for 10 yrs. I am pretty sure his (Italian) wife does the tour with him often but on this day it was Angelo, a local Italian tour guide who speaks excellent English.

(4)This tour could not have been more personal. I was the only guest, riding first in Nick's car, and in the afternoon he had to go to a meeting so I finished the balsamic vinegar part in Angelo's car. Asked lots of questions and got all answered.

(5)I have many pics that are self-explanatory. The cheese "factory" Nick chooses has a shop and I sampled a young (I think 24 months) and a very aged (48 months? sorry Nick I am getting senile)parmesan each. The picture shows the young cheese, which was so good I had to get a wedge and hauled it across 3 more European cities, it's in my fridge (they vacuum pack for you)

(6) The ham factory (Perla) is "new", because the regular one they visit had its roof busted from rain. The Italian owner/guide though was obviously knowledgable and proud of his work. Loved the thousands (yes, literally) of ham I saw.

(7) The balsamic "factory" (Venturini Baldini) was more like a villa with a big room and an amazing attic for aging. At the end I tasted 12, 18, and 25 years aged products, each on a tiny teaspoon. I think the 18 yrs made most sense (almost like 25 yrs but not as $$$). Angelo explained very well how they replenish and mix the barrels thru the aging process. I took a whiff of the barrel and all my sinuses problems were cleared....

(8) Lunch was at a local cafe, with loads of ham, and more ham, and more ham. We also tried 2 Lambruscos (I complained the first one was way too sweet and Nick got another one).

So, that about sums it up. I think it was thoroughly enjoyable.

1  Thank turtlemeng
FWT11, Owner at Parma Food n Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hiya!! What an amazing review... Angelo will love this!!! Cate and I were laughing our heads of at some of this! The most important thing is that you had a great day and we were able to surprise you in the best possible way! Thank you so much and have a great Euro vacation - N FWT

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending a day doing the 3 Kings tour led by both Nick & Angelo in mid-April. When we booked, I was a little worried about the seemingly very casual emails coming from Nick and the last minute realization that we had to pay by cash (no credit cards). However I am SO GLAD that that didn't stop us. This tour was fabulous!
We met Nick & Angelo on the edge of the town of Parma and expected to be joining a caravan of cars. However, that caravan ended up being Nick's car and our car! We visited a Parmigiano-Reggiano production facility which included a tasting and a nip of wine before we then headed for our first of two visits to a cafe for a "taste" (read "small meal") of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and prosciutto di Parma. Next we headed up into the hills for a tour of the prosciutto "plant" where the walked through the entire production process from the initial salting area right through to the cellars where final aging takes place and is a sensory smorgasbord. After that we headed back down into the valley for a huge and wonderful lunch at the cafe we had visited earlier for a broader sampling of local cuisine. Then we headed off to a vineyard where fine balsamic vinegar and a few other products are hand crafted.
I would recommend this tour to anyone who visits the area!

Date of experience: April 2013
2  Thank sd90mac6000
FWT11, Owner at Parma Food n Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Firstly big thanks for choosing us and submitting yr lovely review. Secondly if I seemed laid back here in Parma it is pretty relaxed I have to say - but I do pride myself on detail and client care. Beneath that slow vacation Parma exterior lies a shimmering zippy professional, immensely happy that you had a great Italian vacation experience with FWT. Our very best wishes to you again. N