“A delight!”

Ranked #15 of 785 Restaurants in Parma
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2019

Sunday evening can be a difficult time to find somewhere to eat in Italy, as lunch is the main meal of the day. This neighbourhood trattoria had been full at lunchtime, but we had carefully booked ahead for the evening. In fact it was very quiet, but this didn't lead to any compromise on the part of the owners.
The whole atmosphere and menu is of a traditional local restaurant - and all the better for that.
The menu is relatively short - a good thing - and features largely traditional dishes. We began by sharing a risotto of beetroot, leek and parmesan. This was kindly served on two plates! It was just about the best risotto I can remember eating! Then we both chose the duck with caramelised orange sauce and vegetables, which was delicious and generous. A shared cassata rounded off our meal. Or not quite: after enjoying a couple of glasses of wine each, to match our different dishes, we were given a complimentary walnut liqueur with our coffee. Sensational!
The couple who run this restaurant do a wonderful job of welcoming guests and providing delicious, home-style food. It isn't pretentious, but it is very authentic and very good.
Many thanks for a lovely evening and a taste of the real Emilia Romagna!

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Excellent local dishes with traditional recipes. Great place to eat in Parma. My recommendation for a representative restaurant in the city.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2018

Just had Sunday lunch, mostly locals and a few tourists. Not a fancy restaurant so the prices are very reasonble. Most pasta dishes are about 10E, we had the pasta with Parmesan with lemon, risotto with horse meat, the assorted meat tray, vegetable soup, all were very good. The quality exceeded the prices so it was a good deal.

Reviewed September 19, 2018

We arrived in Parma at the tail end of a half-marathon, that finished in the city. As a result of the huge increase in numbers, finding a place for lunch was proving to be difficult. As we became more desperate, (we seriously considered walking away from the city centre), I spotted some free outside tables at the end of a narrow street, behind the Basilica di Santa Maria della Steccata. We don’t usually like sitting at outside tables but beggars can’t be choosers so we approached. It was a good move as we were offered an indoor table - which suited us much better.

I have to be honest and say that the first impressions were not good. It was pretty full but did look a little down at heel and basic. I didn’t have time to consult any reviews, so were taking a bit of a gamble - that gamble that paid off handsomely.

We were brought menus by the incredibly hard working waiter, who was servicing the entire restaurant by himself - and doing a very good job too. From the menu, I chose the “Rigoletto bombe” for my starter, with my wife playing safe and opting for the simple plate of prosciutto. The “bombe” consisted of a flatbread, topped with rocket, (arugula), Brie cheese and then prosciutto. It was absolutely delicious. My wife’s prosciutto was similarly good but as we were in Parma - the home of quality “crudo” - it was only to be expected.

For my “secondo” I had a slice of stuffed and rolled, braised veal, which was very good. My wife chose a dish we had not eaten since we had it on the island of Capri decades ago - tagliatelle with lemon. When we had it on Capri, we were both blown away. Considering the simplicity and small amount of ingredients, how could it taste so good? I put it down to the amazing lemons from that part of Italy and wondered could it be reproduced so far North? I need not have worried, it was absolutely terrific. The pasta was fresh and hand-cut, with the sauce being a perfect marriage of creaminess and lemon flavour. Absolutely delicious.

For dessert, my wife followed her pasta with a zabaglione mousse, with chocolate sauce. The mousse was light and fluffy but the traditional method of serving it is better - for our tastes at least. The chocolate sauce was a little too rich for the delicacy of the mousse but it certainly wasn’t bad. The star dessert was my simple slice of cake. I’d love to tell you what it was but I was so knocked-out by it, that I forgot to take any notes. My wife spotted the look on my face and demanded a taste - after which I had to be careful that she didn’t eat all the rest. Now I am not the biggest fan of desserts but let me tell you that this simple cake, (with a simple syrup moisturising it?), was a revelation. Absolutely top-drawer.

With the meal we enjoyed a bottle of local Lambrusco, two glasses of the recommended dessert wines and coffee and digestivi to follow. The whole delicious thing came to a grand total of €80 which, along with other meals we had in Parma, makes it the quality/value for money capital of Italy. You would have paid double in any of the big tourist orientated cities. As “accidental” discoveries go - we could not have done any better than Rigoletto.

Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

We found this special place on trip advisor and luckily got in at short notice on Saturday night of the Palma marathon. We shared the porchini had made pasta and it was finger plate licking good! We followed with the burger rissole with caramelised onion and a terrine Belisimo.