“Fantastic restaurant outside Parma”

Trattoria Ai Due Platani
Ranked #9 of 705 Restaurants in Parma
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were staying in Vilino Porporano and went to this wonderful restaurant on the recommendation of Elena
The restaurant is in the middle of the country but is well worth the taxi fare
It is about 5K from central Parma
Booking is essential
We were there on a Sunday night and the place was full
We took the waiters recommendation for all courses and no one was disappointed
The wine was particularly good and very reasonably priced
We had a lovely plate of antipasto to start followed by a pasta course then a main course
All topped off with a great dessert served with panache
The total bill was 50 Euro per head and was as good value as I have ever encountered

1  Thank DaveLouth
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We returned to see if the restaurant could deliver an evening like last time. It happened again.

The menu hasn't changed much but for me as well as many locals a lot of the classic dishes are worth coming back for. I choose again Salumi con Torta Fritta - Simple but we with high quality and a freshness that is to die for. For me this is essential Italian cooking. This was followed with Tortelli di erbetta and a new plate a "secondo" shared (Fish rolled into two balls and spiced up with nuts and herbs delicious) even though good I was envy at the friend who had the Black Angus.... To close of we had home made ice cream. The dessert card wasn't that exciting but according to the chef this was simply because almost al those who had dessert choose the ice cream. This was demonstrated when the ice cream wagon was moved into the restaurant. It became the centre of the room - the check out what others had on their ice.

Afterwards the chef let us taste a new dessert he was developing => Two chocolate shells closed as a ball with ice cream and nuts and caramel inside. The shells are "opened" by poring hot fruit sauce on top making the chocolate melt and make the way to this delicious combination. I hope this will be on the menu next time visiting.

To the dinner we drank local red wine which is like Lambrusco. I like it a lot and often chooses it how ever I saw several good normal red vines.

All in all again a fantastic experience at what is becoming one of my favourite restaurants. Simple cooking like the classic Italian cuisine but with very high quality and plenty of taste at descent prices.

2  Thank Karsten P
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Great food and service as described in all the other reviews. For trip planning purposes, this restaurant is actually on the outskirts of Parma. Either plan to drive there or budget the 30 euros roundtrip for taxi fare. I did not do enough research and parked my car in a garage for the weekend since I planned to walk everywhere. I should have kept the car available until after our meal at Due Platani.

1  Thank TwixtTwain
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Being foreigners it was not so obvious to find our way through the menu. The waiter however was very very helpfull and patient with us and made the evening. The price we paid was, to our surprise, very reasonable, especially compared to other tourist destinations. Really a restaurant to recommend.

4  Thank Stefaan V
Reviewed May 27, 2012

If you are in the Parma area, make sure to visit this restaurant! It was absolutely amazing! Everything, from the site, the decor, the service which was sublime. And the food... :)