“As advertised, the best meal in Modena!”
Review of Trattoria Ermes - CLOSED

Trattoria Ermes
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Great food, excellent atmosphere, this is where the locals eat. Reasonable price, a must if you're in Modena. Definitely be there by noon if you don't want to wait in line!

3  Thank Eafdgfy
There are newer reviews for Trattoria Ermes

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Modena is traditionally one of the stronghold of rich italian cuisine. Las time I went there for business, I asked a passerby - one fat and satisfied-looking - and got this address in a small road not too far from the wonderful cathedral and its museum (a must see in itself). It was pretty late and the place, small and dilapidated looking, was packed. I refused to be intimidated and set for enduring a long wait; after a little bit the owner, Ermes, noticed I was grimly determined to eat there, gave me a glass of white whine - nothing special, Modena is not Tuscany- and entertained me chatting and cracking jokes, of which he apparently never runs out. After a while, during which I got another glass from Ermes' Wife, who advised me never to tell Ermes I was not in a hurry, too late!- i was sitting on a long table together with other guys, two lawyers and a Judge; the rest of the place was full with students, workers and professional having lunch - and the time of their life, judging from how everybody was listening to Ermes and mastering their wits for the next time he would come on them. Then the food started to come in; unbelievable! the plates are all staples of local cuisine, but all of them were cooked with a special skill, at the same time home cooked and extraordinarily tasty. And at the end of it, the bill was a joke! you will never pay more than 15 €. I am already recruiting friends for a new onslaught to Modena.

1  Thank mikils
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Excellent traditional recipes from Modena coupled with a friendly service and enviroment.
One of the very few places still doing traditional modenese cooking.
The owner is definitely a character!
The place doesn't accept reservations and doesn't have a phone, therefore be sure to show up on time for lunch, at 12.

2  Thank Giorgio V
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Such a pure and generous dining experience - it's a little hard to put into words the magic of the place. I am afraid to make the place sound like a cliche.

The room is tiny - so you'd better get there early, we were lucky enough to snag the last table for the lunch service and had probably the best dining experence during our entire trip in Italy. The food is cooked with so much love and simple respect for tradition. Erme himself can barely contain his enthusiasm and love of local food. He is genuinely excited that you are excited to try his food. He ruffled my hair and pinched the cheek of my friend when we arrived. He pulled us into the kitchen to point to things we wanted to eat.

Pasta in broth was fantastic, simply awesome pasta in ragu, and the side dishes of stuffed peppers and roasted tomatoes were perfect. A giant bottle of lambrusco to wash everything down with all for less than 20 euros a person.

The restaruant was full of a real mix of locals. Bankers, local workers, and a family celebrating the graduation of their son from medical school (he wore a wreath of laurels). It was a fantastic afternoon.

2  Thank cnklhd
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Nothing compares with the Ermes experience. get early for lunch, and just follow the tyde.

A must every time I go back home.

1  Thank beingandrea