“Slightly odd ambience but delicious food”

Osteria Francescana
Ranked #2 of 734 Restaurants in Modena
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“Slightly odd ambience but delicious food”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

When my husband and I first walked into this restaurant we found it a little bizarre, we were met by about 5 members of staff and there were lots of different rooms all decorated differently. But once we got used to it and other people started coming in we soon got used to it. The food was absolutely delicious and the chef came out and personally spoke to us and asked if we had any questions about the menu which was a really nice touch! The service was impeccable and although this isn't a criticism, it would be nice if they were a little less serious and smiled a bit more, but other then that would definitely recommend this place although it was our most expensive dinner in Italy we really did enjoy it

Visited September 2012

• Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Epic and intense”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our meal lasted 6 hours. We were indeed the first dinner guests of the evening and the last.

We chose the 'Sensations' tasting menu, described as 'expressions of our experimental kitchen'. Perplexed as to what that actually was, Massimo Bottura (the owner + chef patron) came to the table to explain. We came to an agreement on the dishes we would try being sure to include some of the classics (foie gras lolly + parmesan 5 ways HAD to be included).

We started with a glass of Champagne and then carried on with the wine flight. As my dining companion and I are pretty clueless about Italian wine, we thought it a good idea to try some new styles of wine. In total we enjoyed 14 courses and 7 different wines (which were all topped up at least once).

Some of the food I found overpowering, the initial granita course took my breath away - way too intense as a starter!

Highlights were definitely the parmesan course, the blackened cod, the eel, the guinea foul and not to forget the final course named 'Opps, broken pie'.

We received a vast amount of attention from Massimo Bottura which was a delight. It was amazing to hear his personal journey, influences in life and a full explanation of the provenance and idea behind each dish.

I was aware upon arrival that the restaurant had just reopened after a refurbishment. The dining room was immaculate and very handsome.

A brilliant meal in the back streets of Italy!

• Visited September 2012
London
“Faultless”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I am astonished there are some bad reviews, I cannot find fault and was happy to travel an hour from Bologna to experience this wonderful place. We has the traditional menu, which was very traditional Italian food, quite simple in places, but absolute perfection. And excellent wines, perfect service and good ambience.
I can only imagine some people don't get it, but don't be put off.
I absolutely loved it.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Loftysurg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not just the best dining I have ever had, but an experience I will never forget!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

To me, the cost is not that important. I am not a wealthy man, but it was worth every Euro. I would gladly save up to go again. I can not fault anything about it at all.

1 Thank Farsid
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
“One of the best divine restaurant I have ever been in!!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I can tell you about the grate tasting menu and about the very good service.. But as mach as I will tray to describe to tastes and the smells it will not be enough... Just take a look at my pic's and take my word for it! tasting menu is not cheep... but it is worth it... Amazing!!

• Visited March 2012