“Perfect choice and great location”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #24 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I arrived by train and walked to I portici. It was very easy just a left out of station and a right about a block away to the Main Street. I was so pleased when I arrived because it was just like pictures I had seen on tripadvisor and their website. My room is lovely, there is a high ceiling and I requested an interior room. I got room 407 which is a small room but bigger than I expected. Two people could easily stay in this room. The bathroom is nice, amenities are plentiful. Loved the breakfast which is served in the theatre Amazing food for breakfast and delicious. I thought the price was excellent for my stay. I'd easily pay more. I consider this a 4 star hotel plus. I loved that it was only 5 minutes walk from the station and about 8-10 depending on pace to the main square. Tons of shops and restaurants within very close proximity. I mean tons. Highly recommend. Loved this hotel

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are nice. I chose an interior room. Room 407
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,491)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We traveled to Bologna during the Christmas-New Year holidays and stayed at I Portici for six days. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was clean, spacious and quiet. The room had hardwood floors and high beautifully painted ceilings. The lobby is very well decorated and modern. The hotel is centrally located and a 5-10 minute walk from the central train station and Piazza Maggiore. Trains leave frequently for Rome, Florence, Parma, Modena, and Rimini (near San Marino). We bought tickets at the station and some were quite expensive. There is probably a better way of obtaining tickets but we did not do a lot of advance planning. Note: Trains do sell out for popular destinations so buy in advance! There are great affordable restaurants within easy walking distance (Via Righi Augusto and Via del Falegnami are loaded with good restaurants that are not expensive). The hotel does not have a gym or fitness center (a big deal for me) but there was a nice exercise bike in my room! There are fitness clubs nearby (Prime (way too expensve at 60 Euros a day) but I could not find one open in the early morning. There is a park right next to the hotel for jogging. The breakfast was excellent and included in our rate. We did not try the hotel resturant but it looked very nice, There is a great quiet bar on the second floor for a late drink. The only issue we had was very slow internet service but I did not complain since it was free! The staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel has some good assets to make a perfect stay in Bologna. It has a nice mixt between ancient/traditional and modern slick architecture. The situation between the ancient center of Bologna and the train/bus/taxi station is an asset if you want to join business and leisure together, the historical center of Bologna is a beauty by night :-)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights over new year and the staff were excellent and extremely helpful. The hotel is very clean and although quite modern, very functional. I personally found the beds a little on the hard side. We were offered an inside room which overlooks a court yard and is very pleasant and quiet. We went out for breakfast each morning, but had our new year's dinner in their Ex-Ghiaciaia restaurant. Full of atmosphere, food fantastic, very romantic. Check out the view under your seat!

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

A little bit overwhelmed by the first images of the valet at the entrance and the imposing architecture of the main building (did I make the right reservation? or is this going to cost me dearly?) I parked my lease car on the privat parking lot and made my way in. Huge entrance hall, completely renovated with light modern interior. Clean but in a way very peacefully. Huge staircases or elevators bring you up to your room, where the classic architecture has been prevailed and the modern bath room been placed in a sort of cabinet space. Just great. Evening 'dinner' in the lounge on the first floor: local merlo wine, Bisol Prosecco and Tuscan Grappa accompany the typical regional pasta dish and veal meat. Wonderful!
Breakfast in a fantastic hall (former theater) with lovely restored ceiling and friendly service.
The only downside, the Wifi is free. And this time I needed to answer some urgent mails for a change. To much traffic and you could not buy more bandwidth to have access, 4 stars or not, this is unacceptable!
Very good price for this stay though, I will return when in Bologna!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2013

A great, safe place to relax, with an easy walk into the centre. It is rather modern minimalist, but not in a cold way and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. Great breakfast selection to start the day with my highlight (sad person that I am) being an automatic machine for making fresh orange juice. Also, a PC in the bar upstairs handy for printing out your flight check-in documents (for free).

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Excellent option while in Bologna. I stayed for 2 nights an enjoyed its cozy facilities as well as its friendly staff. The architecture of the place is quite interesting, especially the breakfast lounge at an old variety theatre. The location is also very convenient, close to the train station and not far from the airport.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo