“Great Location. Good service. But be careful about the room you get”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #22 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
“Great Location. Good service. But be careful about the room you get”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have stayed here twice. Have had good service by the front desk most of the time. At night, when I had problems, they provided no help. Breakfast is very good. Rooms very clean. Cannot beat the location and reasonable price.
Here is the issue....if you are in a room over the large banquet rooms and they have a late night event....the music will vibrate right thru your room. I was up midnight or more due to this issue...and I had a friend that was up to 3am due to the loud cleanup after one event.
They did comp him and put him in Penthouse the next night....but take care rooms 3XX can be not so good.

Room Tip: 310 A and B have a large terrace. Conversely they can be quite loud if there is an event...ask to s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I_Portici_Hotel, Responsabile reception at I Portici Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment on your experience with us. I would like first of all to apologize if you didn’t receive the assistance you were looking for at night. I am glad you were otherwise satisfied by front desk service, breakfast and cleaning.

When we host an event with music of some kind, we have a very strict policy about sound nuisances. Music must be turned OFF at 23:30 latest.

I am sorry if you were disturbed and apologize if my colleagues were noisy in cleaning the room even if we do not use vacuum cleaner or any other electric device at night in order not to disturb our guests.

We are studying and implementing various actions to improve soundproofing. As we are in an old palace it is not easy to make this kind of adjustments and takes time. However we maintain a constant effort to improve and will continue to do so.

For your next stay in Bologna, please do not hesitate to contact me directly before your arrival and remind me your previous experience. I will personally make sure you are hosted in a very quiet room.

Best regards from Bologna,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Located 5 min walk from the station, at the entrance of the historic city, this Pink & Cream palazio is overlooking the park. The lobby has this chic but sober modern touch that really fit my way of life ... Keeping the heritage, adapted to our modern needs & tastes.

The welcome greetings from the FO manager in person 5 min after my Check in, as i was waiting my room to be ready, already gives you the level of service.

Same profesionalisme from the reception staff to propose you addreses or book premium tables at top rated Michelin restaurants.

Arriving at the bedroom, minimalist in this high cealing room painted with taste, I open the window... Wow, a 12 m² terrace overlooking the park.

The room service is really fast but à bit expensive (10 eur)... But the quality of the proseco is there (30 eur a bottle).

After our outdoor evening drink... Wonderfull sleep in very comfortable beds. The bathroom is Nice too .. Just a BIG shower... I love it.

In the morning, wonderfull breakfast in the historic theatre. The choice is there ( i am More salty) .. Mozzarela, tomatoes, cheese, ham, mortadela, eggs, bacon, fresh juice machine, yoghourt, pastries, cereales, and more.

A real enchantement ...hint for the rooms.. There are 2 styles: standard in the modern wing, the deluxe in the palazio ... Same style but with high cealings

Room Tip: There are 2 styles: standard in the modern wing, the deluxe in the palazio ... Same style but with h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a real pleasure hosting you and I am very glad you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you so much for these nice words on our hotel and reception staff!

Ours is a human-sized hotel and, as much as we can, we like spending time with our guests because that’s what they are. Not (only) customers but guests! I truly believe in this philosophy of service which is humanly very rewarding.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next stay in order to take care of all the details and try to impress you again with a special experience at I Portici Hotel !

Warm regards from Bologna,

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Bologna is a city underrated and therefore it was a nice surprise.
Like the city this hotel was a nice surprise since it is a good quality hotel (4 stars) but at the same time it was cheap (the cheapest one in my 4-city Italian trip).
The room as cozy and had everything I needed. The bathroom was nice and wide, but the shower cabin had a leak which allowed the water to run to the floor. But besides that small detail everything was good.
The location is also very good. The street connects the train station with the inner city and has all kind of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are happy you enjoyed your stay at I Portici Hotel and in Bologna. We like surprising our guest…in a good way! ;-)

Our rooms are in constant maintenance in order to guarantee best possible service. Those small incidents (shower leak) unfortunately happen and, as soon as reported (by a guest or a staff member), our dedicated maintenance staff makes sure the problem gets fixed before the guest comes back to the room in the evening.

Hoping to welcoming you again at your next stay in Bologna!

Best regards,

Thame
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We received a warm and friendly welcome upon our arrival. This continued during our stay with staff more than happy to suggest and book restaurants and recommend ways around town. When it started raining, we were given an umbrella to use. Room warm, quiet (despite the road) and comfortable. We enjoyed breakfast, particularly the squeezed orange juice. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Your comment is the best reward we can get! ;-)

We are genuinely happy to welcome people that are willing to stay in our hotel and trust us with their stay for holiday or business. We do our best to welcome, advise and help our guests. Seeing that this daily commitment is recognized and appreciated is very rewarding. We’re also happy you enjoyed your room and breakfast!

Thank you!!

I hope you’ll come back at your next stay in Bologna.
A presto!

Truly yours,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very well located. In city centre and close to train station.
Beautiful hotel. Very good service. Would certainly go back.
Liked the breakfast. Good variety and loved the orange juice machine.
Rooms are well maintained and liked the kettle in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Liz,

Thank you so much!
Hoping to welcoming you again in Bologna with advices and tips to enjoy its incomparable architecture, food and cultural life!

Warm regards,

Ossining, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

It's difficult to evaluate a review of this hotel without knowing the writer's prejudices. Mine are that I like old buildings, old architecture of every kind and modern plumbing. They rarely go together, and if someone tries to put them together there can be a stylistic clash which is uncomfortable. My first reaction to the I Portici hotel was that inside the old palazzo they had overdone the modern makeover. The lobby is stark white. The rooms are stark white. The beds are stark white, with no headboard and a somewhat thin duvet that they leave folded (no turndown.) Another writer has referred to the look as "soulless", but in fact hotels with this particular minimalist aesthetic are very popular, and there's a well-known chain of them. I Portici frankly does it better. You can get used to the fact that the staff is all in black, especially when they are as helpful and accommodating as these people are.

There was a big convention in town, most hotels were booked, and I belong to Small Luxury Hotels, so I figured it couldn't be bad. It wasn't. Some of the rooms are small. We ordered an "executive room" online and were very unhappy with what they gave us--small with a single window and very little light. So we said we weren't happy, and next thing they gave us a larger room with many windows, a 15-foot high painted ceiling, and a very large terrace overlooking the public gardens. We couldn't have been more satisfied with the room, the service, the view, the staff, the bathroom or the food. Breakfast was great. Dinner was fantastic, for which read a review of I Portici Restaurant. I loved the location, a six minute walk from the train station, and since we were coming in from Venice and going out to Milan early two days later, we couldn't have had a better located hotel. I'd certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The street is somewhat noisy, but the windows are double glazed. We slept very well. If you want tha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cwpnewpaltz
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very clean and nice rooms. Staff was friendly, kind and helpful. The location of the hotel is excellent. We were very impressed with breakfast as well.
The only hickup was that the bed had no headboard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple