“OK hotel, Great location”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #24 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Location is an easy walk to the city centre with occasional markets on the way. I was 'upgraded' to a very large double room on the ground floor. While the room was huge, there was a lack of storage space and was subjected to the muzak from reception until about 11:00 pm each night. Bathroom was equally large, but the shower soaked the floor outside which meant later reentry was quite a damp experience. While the staff were very efficient, the overall impression is rather sterile.

Overall, while I suspect there are better hotels in this beautiful city, this one is adequate with some pretentions of grandeur.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
I_Portici_Hotel, Responsabile reception at I Portici Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

The door separating the corridor of the ground floor rooms (facing our internal garden) from the lobby is usually closed in the evening in order to avoid that activity from the reception (late arrivals or requests from the clients…) might disturb our guests already in their room, I apologize if that was not done.

One of the rooms on the ground floor is equipped with a shower for disabled persons that allows the guest to enter in it with a wheelchair, I imagine it is the one you had as we were probably fully booked. That shower is rather low (for the reason stated above) and the floor can indeed get wet some times; our housekeeping personnel are used to it and put everything back in order every time they clean the room.

I hope, besides the inconveniences mentioned, that you however enjoyed your stay and that you will keep a good memory of I Portici Hotel. Thank you for your great words on our staff!

At your next stay in Bologna don’t hesitate to come back, we will do our very best to improve your experience with us! ☺

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,492)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

A friend and I stayed recently for a 3 night weekend break. The hotel is conveniently situated about 10 - 15 minutes walk from the main square.

Our rooms were pleasant and airy, very modern and minimalist, with nice new bathrooms and comfortable beds. The wooden floors in the corridor outside my room on the second floor meant that people returning from the bar late at night (also on second floor) did clip clop rather noisily so maybe carpets would be quieter?

Breakfast wasn't included so we only had it once in the hotel. It was OK but we thought that finding a nice cafe nearby for a cappuccino and a pastry was a much better choice.

The reception area is also very minimalist by design resulting in a slightly unwelcoming feel and a distinct lack of information/leaflets for visiting tourists such as ourselves. We asked for directions to the usual city sightseeing tour bus and were sent completely the wrong way and discovered much later that the first stop is only 2 minutes walk from the hotel by the railway station. A minor but unnecessary irritation.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here but I have been left angry by the way they dealt with the small amount of 10 euros that they thought I had underpaid. Actually it was because they mixed up the credit card slips from my bill and my friend's so nothing was underpaid at all. But the fact that they insisted on me paying what they thought was a shortfall before I left and then argued with me when I emailed afterwards to point out their mistake has left a bad taste.

NB Nothing to do with the hotel but the absolute highlight of our visit was the unforgettable Italian Days Food Experience that I booked independently and will review separately and not to be missed if staying in Bologna.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent one week in this hotel. The hotel reception was nice and bright and I was greeted by I nice lady. She had very good English and was able to sort my room out quickly. The room I was given was VERY small with one single bed. It was all I needed but as I was staying for the week it felt a little cramped by the end. The room was tidy and minamilistic and nice. The bathroom was clean and tidy, however the shower was a little dodgy. The lower jets were jammed on this meant when you turned the shower on the floor and wall of the bathroom got soaked. Not an issue for me, but I am sure the cleaners loved it. I requested two extra pillows one morning and these were in my room when I came back that evening. Breakfast was not included in my rate which was an extra 10Eur but for what you got I felt that was good value.

The only issues I have with this hotel was when I asked if it was possible to have a Kettle and Cup for my room they said NO this was not possible. Also the rooms where really really hot and the aircon was all switched off, so to cool your room down you had to open the window and as you can imagine staying in a city centre hotel this was then very noisey.

But all in all not a bad hotel and if I got a good rate in the future I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel in late January 2013 as I was unable to extend my stay at another hotel from a 4star hotel (part of a reasonably upmarket international chain I use often in Madrid) near the railway station. What impressed me apart from the general high standards of cleanliness and presentation in the hotel public areas and my room, was the exceptional charm and helpfulness of the staff at the front desk. I had to make a trip to a part of Bologna outside the city centre ... Zola Predosa. This member of staff was patient and very helpful in finding my route and printing it out for me. In addition she made a special effort to find me a room at an affordable price which turned out to be much superior in quality to the one just a few hundred yards away in the other chain hotel, but at a very similar price. Also I have to draw attention to the quality of the breakfast on offer in the i Portici restaurant which is much better than usual for Italy in my experience. I would stay in this hotel every time I visit it if I could afford it. A charming and excellent value bargain out of high season.

Room Tip: My room overlooked via indipendenza and was great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tufftookas
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I picked this hotel because it is centrally located in the city of Bologna.
I received a room upgrade: bedsize went up from 120cm to 150cm. The bed is quite comfortable. The ceiling in the room is high inspiring relaxation.
The bathroom was ok. Actually, there is nothing to say negative about the room, but I expected more "warmth". Maybe a rug or even a nice luscious curtain... Something to elevate it. The room had shutters which kept the sunlight out very well.
Nice touch: the noisy frig shuts off automatically at 21:30! ;-)
Breakfast did NOT impress me: the toaster didn't toast properly; the selection of Vienoiseries was limited; the orange juice was "fake" and the scrambled eggs... (deep yellow... Those Italian chickens must be something...I've never seen this before).
Anyhow, the staff (all besides one dude in the dining room) was very, very friendly and helpful.
Would I stay there again: absolutely!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
I_Portici_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at I Portici Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at I Portici Hotel and thank you for your kind words on our staff!
I’m happy you appreciated the free upgrade and liked your room. The “minimal design” is an architect’s choice in order to give space to and highlight the Liberty frescoed ceiling you noticed and the architectural structure of the 19th-century palazzo we are lucky to be in. I’m really sorry if it made you feel a bit uncomfortable...

As for breakfast, the Viennoiseries are all home-baked daily by our chef (Michelin Star 2013) and fresh orange juice is always available on request as the machine is quite noisy and though not brought in the Teatro Eden where breakfast is served.

As we are in Italy, even the chickens eat great food; that could explain the deep yellow colour! 

I hope you’ll come back and visit us at your next stop in Bologna!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Loved Bologna -- and the staff at I Portici were wonderful. They helped us with restaurant reservations and gave us good recommendations for lunch. The room itself was large....but the bathroom was up several steps from the sleeping area...and this was dangerous at night with no lights on...feeling for that first step. And the beds were a bit firm for my taste. That being said...I was quite pleased with my stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
I_Portici_Hotel, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at I Portici Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Aretha,

Thank you so much for your kind words on our staff! Hospitality is our work but I truly believe that it could and should also be a pleasure.
My colleagues and I do our best to help our guests enjoy Bologna as much as we do!

The steps between the bathroom and the sleeping area come from an architectural choice to respect the structure of the 19th-century palazzo we are in. Those double rooms on the first floor give a nice sensation of space and I’m sorry if you didn’t feel comfortable in yours because of the steps… If you’d like to come visit us again, remind us of this previous experience and we’ll make sure to give you a room without any kind of steps..! ;-)

Best regards from Bologna,

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at I Portici for 3 nights and enjoyed our time in Bologna, a great part because of the well-located and comfortable hotel room. It was easy to come back to the hotel to take a nap and rest from the busyness of the city below being located 10 min from train station and from the city center by foot. We had a great room on the 4th floor that overlooks part of the adjacent park and via indipenza. Sleep quality was good and the high ceilings made the room airy and roomy. The breakfast was also very good by italian standard. A good spread of fresh fruit, bread and sweets. There were even scrambled eggs and bacon too.

• Stayed: December 2012