“The Hotel of Bologna!”

Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
Melbourne, Australia
“The Hotel of Bologna!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

What a place. A converted theatre with substantial fabulous renovations this is the place to stay in Bologna. From here you can walk everywhere that you want to be and see in this fabulous old city. Via Della Independenza is wonderful. The collonades are spectacuulr and work very weel in keeping out the sun and rain. The shopping area is wonderful, the history oozes from the walls everywhere and there is plenty to do.

The hotel is fabulous and the people are even better! The rooms are modern and very comfortable and well appointed. The Bistro is wonderful with a menu and winelist that is a great representation of the regions finest food.

We used it as a base to visit Misano to ride Ducati's and to visit the Ducati factory and Lamborghini museam, all within easy reach. We loved it and I am confident that you will too.

Room Tip: Dont choose - be a little Zen and live dangerously! You wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NEILGG2702

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charleston,SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I count on SLH to deliver and this one did not. The room was sterile not modern. Nothing on the walls or floors so it was like sleeping in a room that hasn't been furnished. Buffet was mediocre and there is no a/c after October 1. We got no sleep due to the heat. Towels were thin. The first room we were in had a tv that would have been impossible to see as it was so small. Too costly for what you get. SLH should reexamine this hotel!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kepiblue
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Pros: Beautiful hotel in a terrific central location. Also, one of the desk workers, I think his name was Alessio, was awesome.

Cons: The wifi barely worked in our room, and when we asked about it, they said they would reset it and it would be fine. Of course that didn't help. We needed it to help make choices for what we would do in town and it was supposed to be included. Our door lock also required fixing, and when they (promptly, which was great) came up to take a look, something went wrong with the electricity in our room. They should have just switched us to a different room after all this, but no. Also, the view out of our window was a sad and dirty view of the street, and I woke up to loud noises of people putting together their sales stands at 4am and the smell of cigarette smoke. I'm sure if we had paid more we would have gotten a nicer room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jensd929
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Beautifully designed place. My room was huge, with a high ceiling and, of all things, an eliptical step-trainer in one corner! Wi-fi was pretty bad. Water not very hot, towels thin. There is an Internet Point with printer, which is convenient. There was some noise from the air circulation system, but they gave me a free breakfast in recompense.

Location is great, near station and on the central street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank danlev
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We came into Bologna through one of the old gates which gave a real feel for the city. I would have preferred a hotel more reflective of the community. Not a thing wrong with this place it was just too modern and the styling didn't feel right in such an old city. It was very clean and exceptionally comfortable. The staff was pleasant and the location within the city was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is another hotel that apparently paid a lot for design and little for engineering. When I booked I asked for a quiet room as some Trip Advisor reviewers had complained of street noise. The hotel kindly met this request. However, my single room on the 1st (2nd by U.S. terms) floor opened onto a large airshaft - like a concrete courtyard - which you could walk out onto with the large window opened. It was hard to tell what all else opened onto this space and who had access to it. Anyway, it was quiet, but the room was hot - 25+ C., even though it was cool and rainy outside. I tried to turn on the a/c but it didn't work, and after telling the front desk and being forwarded to "technical support" which didn't answer, I went to the front desk and was then told the a/c had been turned off in the building. I told them it was hot in my room - even with the window/door onto the concrete courtyard open the room wasn't cooling down - no draft/wind I guess, and the second I closed the window the heat shot up. And the response was pretty much only a shrug - too bad for me. No fan offered. As I was staying only one night (thankfully), I slept with the window/door wide open, something I'm sure most people would not be willing to do considering the free access from parts unknown. Also, the small shower had spray jets coming out of the wall sides, and it was apparently impossible to turn on the shower without spraying yourself and the bathroom, and the shower did not drain well. The pillow was hard and inflexible. So all in all a good looking but uncomfortable room.

The location, which is really the reason I chose this hotel, was great. I left early so didn't try their breakfast, which costs an extra 15E. They had a computer with printer available for guest use, helpful for printing out boarding passes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 114! 1st floor single, quiet, no view, very hot when hotel a/c is off.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a modern, luxury hotel in a great location. Our large top floor room (booked via Small
Luxury Hotels) overlooked a church and was an ideal setting to explore Bologna. The very large
minimalist plan rooms may not appeal to all; however the marble floors, painted fresco ceilings
and modern fittings really did it for us. Although we primarily chose to visit Bologna for the
"Italian Days Food Tour" we both enjoyed the area immensely. The opulent breakfast room is
an ideal setting for the delicious food on offer. We were unable to dine at the Michelin star
restaurant at the hotel (closed on Mondays) however my wife and I would both wholeheartedly
recommend the "La Terrazza" Bistrot (also located onsite). Our meals were amazing, a highlight
in an area renowned for its culinary delights.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple