“Maybe if we had paid more...”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Pros: Beautiful hotel in a terrific central location. Also, one of the desk workers, I think his name was Alessio, was awesome.

Cons: The wifi barely worked in our room, and when we asked about it, they said they would reset it and it would be fine. Of course that didn't help. We needed it to help make choices for what we would do in town and it was supposed to be included. Our door lock also required fixing, and when they (promptly, which was great) came up to take a look, something went wrong with the electricity in our room. They should have just switched us to a different room after all this, but no. Also, the view out of our window was a sad and dirty view of the street, and I woke up to loud noises of people putting together their sales stands at 4am and the smell of cigarette smoke. I'm sure if we had paid more we would have gotten a nicer room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jensd929
Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Beautifully designed place. My room was huge, with a high ceiling and, of all things, an eliptical step-trainer in one corner! Wi-fi was pretty bad. Water not very hot, towels thin. There is an Internet Point with printer, which is convenient. There was some noise from the air circulation system, but they gave me a free breakfast in recompense.

Location is great, near station and on the central street.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank danlev
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We came into Bologna through one of the old gates which gave a real feel for the city. I would have preferred a hotel more reflective of the community. Not a thing wrong with this place it was just too modern and the styling didn't feel right in such an old city. It was very clean and exceptionally comfortable. The staff was pleasant and the location within the city was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is another hotel that apparently paid a lot for design and little for engineering. When I booked I asked for a quiet room as some Trip Advisor reviewers had complained of street noise. The hotel kindly met this request. However, my single room on the 1st (2nd by U.S. terms) floor opened onto a large airshaft - like a concrete courtyard - which you could walk out onto with the large window opened. It was hard to tell what all else opened onto this space and who had access to it. Anyway, it was quiet, but the room was hot - 25+ C., even though it was cool and rainy outside. I tried to turn on the a/c but it didn't work, and after telling the front desk and being forwarded to "technical support" which didn't answer, I went to the front desk and was then told the a/c had been turned off in the building. I told them it was hot in my room - even with the window/door onto the concrete courtyard open the room wasn't cooling down - no draft/wind I guess, and the second I closed the window the heat shot up. And the response was pretty much only a shrug - too bad for me. No fan offered. As I was staying only one night (thankfully), I slept with the window/door wide open, something I'm sure most people would not be willing to do considering the free access from parts unknown. Also, the small shower had spray jets coming out of the wall sides, and it was apparently impossible to turn on the shower without spraying yourself and the bathroom, and the shower did not drain well. The pillow was hard and inflexible. So all in all a good looking but uncomfortable room.

The location, which is really the reason I chose this hotel, was great. I left early so didn't try their breakfast, which costs an extra 15E. They had a computer with printer available for guest use, helpful for printing out boarding passes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 114! 1st floor single, quiet, no view, very hot when hotel a/c is off.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a modern, luxury hotel in a great location. Our large top floor room (booked via Small
Luxury Hotels) overlooked a church and was an ideal setting to explore Bologna. The very large
minimalist plan rooms may not appeal to all; however the marble floors, painted fresco ceilings
and modern fittings really did it for us. Although we primarily chose to visit Bologna for the
"Italian Days Food Tour" we both enjoyed the area immensely. The opulent breakfast room is
an ideal setting for the delicious food on offer. We were unable to dine at the Michelin star
restaurant at the hotel (closed on Mondays) however my wife and I would both wholeheartedly
recommend the "La Terrazza" Bistrot (also located onsite). Our meals were amazing, a highlight
in an area renowned for its culinary delights.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a modern hotel with open plan rooms. The location is great, right in the centre of Bologna with a park right behind and train station only about 5 mins walk away. The service is great and the freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast is a perfect perk up. The only downside was that there was no hair conditioner, dressing gowns or slippers - something that would be great on the laminate flooring of the room.

There was a wedding on when we stayed and it was pretty noisy until early morning as our window overlooked the terrace. Good joob we are both heavy sleepers.

PS it's pretty pricey to drink at the bar, but you get a bowl of nibbles to go with your drink, which sort of help to swollow the charge for the drink itself..

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, make sure to request a quiet room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zennju
Reviewed September 20, 2012

A very modern style hotel, which I like but will probably not suit everyone.
I enjoy staying there as it is close to the train station, on Indipendenza a main shopping street in Bologna and only a 10 - 15 minute walk to Piazza Maggiore. There are also plenty of very good resturants close to the hotel.

I find the service generally very quick and efficient and the staff speak very good English.

The building and rooms can be a bit stark (with the exception of the resturant which is a converted theatre and a very interesting room) and the facilities in the rooms are quite minimalistic. Not exactly suited to a relaxing 'take it easy' type of holiday but fine for a city break / business stay. Very clean though!

The resturant in the hotel has recieved a Michelin Star and the food (and price) reflect that.

Overall, I enjoy staying at the hotel on business but probably wouldn't stay with family.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the park are the best. Rooms at the front of the hotel ca...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business