“Great place to stay in wonderful Bologna! My favorite!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Anna B&B

Anna B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bologna
Anna B&B
Ranked #219 of 283 Bologna B&B and Inns
New York City
“Great place to stay in wonderful Bologna! My favorite!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

I loved Bologna - my favorite city in Italy. Eugenio was so friendly and really helped me find the best spots to visit in Bologna. He sat down with me and showed me a map where he circled locations and talked to me about some history of the city. I have never stayed in a B&B before, and I was really looking for a clean, nice place to stay. B&B Anna was perfect for this purpose and I really did enjoy my stay. I'd rank it the top 10% of places I stayed in Italy.

Reading some other reviews, it seems like a few people were disappointed that it wasn't more of a B&B. I guess it is not like a traditional B&B experience and is more of an apartment. You don't really interact with Eugenio and his wife (she was very pregnant while I was there!) unless you seek them out. For me, this was fine. I was out exploring Bologna pretty much every waking hour of my day.

If you are looking to have big meals with a family then this isn't your place. BUT if you want a clean, centrally located place to stay with helpful hosts at a great price then B&B Anna is your place!

Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank smtravelgirl

Families
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

This little B&B was situated in a brilliant location and very good value. It's not 'perfect' in the traditional sense but then again its not a hotel. It's a B&B full of character, due to both the wonderfully helpful owner and the building itself. As some other travellers have mentioned, you don't just get a room, but more of a mini-apartment, which I found was a big bonus as the 'room' I thought I had paid for was actually 3 rooms, so there is plenty of space.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Zadar, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

We've got warm welcome to this very big, comfortable and nice apartment. It was more than we expected for this price. All the best.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

We quite enjoyed our stay (3 nights) at the B&B Anna - Eugenio was certainly friendly and the apartment was spacious and well-placed for exploring and for transport links. We appreciated having our own entrance. It was nice to be greeted with a bottle of wine and guidebooks but ... there's certainly room for improvement, principally the 'breakfast'. A packet of dried rusks and longlife milk/budget cornflakes was frankly inadequate, particularly since there's a cafe right underneath the B&B - a basket of fresh croissants, juice or fresh fruit would have been very easy to supply to guests. We understand that they have a new baby to look after, but we felt neglected as paying customers, and had to knock nervously on the door of his flat at night to ask for standard things he had forgotten to supply us with, such as toilet paper, milk, tea, butter for the morning. The very elderly sheets and towels are just not up to standard (we are experienced travellers and have stayed in dozens of Italian B&Bs). With some small tweaks, this really could be a significantly better B&B experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WalrusOfHove
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2007

It is difficult to criticize this B&B because Eugenio is the nicest, most welcoming host you could ever ask for. BUT, my husband and I feel that calling this a B&B is a bit misleading. It really is set up as an apartment. One of the most enjoyable parts of staying in B&B's for us is the opportunity to interact with and learn from travelers from all over the world -- that is not possible here-- there's no one else around! Because of the layout, Eugenio cannot prepare a fresh breakfast in the morning -- he would have to open his kitchen door and come through your sleeping area! Hence, breakfast was laid out at night & was simply a pot of espresso (mediocre) to put on a burner and some dried toast (the kind you can buy in a bag there) -- very disappointing. I know other reviewers have said that is typical in Italy, but it really is not the norm anymore. We have stayed in B&B's and agriturismos all over Italy the past 8 years and most are now providing a few extras such as yogurt or granola. We bought our own yogurt & fruit and then went out for coffee & pastry in the city center.

Perhaps most of the other reviewers are younger than ourselves, and are only expecting budget-level accommodations. We never stay in luxury places at all, but this is definitely downscale. The beds are like camping cots (smaller than a normal twin size) and the pillows & towels were in dire need of replacement. The showerhead was barely functional--spritzing erratically with barely enough pressure to rinse off.

Some things just need replacing or sprucing up and it would be a nicer experience, but on the whole, our main problem was that it just wasn't a normal B&B. We could see this to a certain extent on their website, so I'm certainly not saying we were deceived -- we just didn't know the particulars. Bologna is a hard place to find reasonable accommodations -- the city caters to business and convention travelers, so we were not sure where else to look. Not many moderately priced places to choose from, so it's hard. The city is gorgeous and we would love to return someday. Food is simply fabulous! Also--we highly recommend taking the train to Modena for a tour of a balsamic vinegar production (acetaia)--wonderful experience (can be arranged online prior to your trip)! Note--the nearby Margherita Gardens are nice, but we saw a drug deal going down right out on the open in daylight.

Thank you to Eugenio for his efforts--it just wasn't what we expected.

• Liked — The host family
  • Disliked — review tells it all
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank nanapapa-6
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

Although Italy isn't similar to B&B country, this lodgement was simply unique. There are two rooms in the house, one single and one double, I stayed in the single and this was next to the kitchen. It felt like I was staying over with friends because the hosts, Anna and
Eugenio they are very welcoming. I could talk with them for hours, very nice to talk to them. They have the perfect sense how to treat travellers/guests. When I arrived Eugenio showed me the room, a big single bed, tourist guide, radio, fresh towels, crips, some refreshments etc. There was no airco but there was a good working fan which helped.

Breakfast actually wasn't much, but I am used to this in Italy, Italians don't go crazy for breakfast. But they made the difference, because a few weeks before my stay they've kindly sent me an email to check if I had any special requests. I had replied with my love for soy milk and they had soy milk in house for my breakfast, it's the small things that make the difference.

Furthermore, the hosts even cook for you at your desired time (for a small fee) and the food is great in a city where food is a way of life (Bologna and it's Bolognese sauce, mortadella and tortellini). Well done Anna!

The location is also very good. In the old centre, short walk from the heart of the city, Piazza Maggiore. You are also meters away from the famous La Sorbetteria Castiglione (famous for its ice cream)
Staying at this B&B with Anna and Eugenio made my stay in beautiful Bologna even more memorable.

• Liked — the welcoming feeling from the guests
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank REBRY
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

What an amazing place! This B&B is actually a small apartment within the walls of the old city. It is less than a 10 minute walk to the main square and in a beautful old building with lots of character and great facilities. The hosts, Eugenio and Anna, are in the adjoining flat and are so friendly and helpful, just like all the people we met in Bologna. Anna makes amazing jams and Eugenio really helped us to see the best of the city in just a few days. Definitely follow their recommendations for places to eat - we had the best meal of our life in one of their recommended osterias and for only 25 euro. This place is amazing value and has a really friendly atmosphere. We will be going back as soon as possible!

Stayed February 2007