“Awesome place ”

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

Great place to go for cooking school class - Lucia is incredible and accommodate beginners to experts ! Highly highly recommend for anyone.

1  Thank josephn316
in 8 reviews
"amazing cooking"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2017

I have to agree with all the other Trip Advisor reviews about CIBO : the class was one of the highlights of my trip to Bologna. My class was Stuffed Handmade Pasta and I could hardly believe how much I learned in just 3-1/2 hours. I went to Bologna in March, 2017 and went to a midweek class that had just one other student. Lucia was an excellent and friendly teacher who taught us how to make ravioli/Tortelloni, Tagliatelle, Ragu Bolognese and 2 more sauces. In the CIBO brochure this looked like an excessive amount of material to cover in such a short period but as a result of Lucia's excellent time management and teaching skills I never felt rushed or overwhelmed with information. The kitchen where we worked was in the back of the Trattoria Del Rosso and was large, modern and had top quality equipment. The front of the restaurant serves excellent Bolognese food and I highly recommend going there for dinner.
My main purpose for taking the class was to learn more about the making of fresh pasta (I've made my own for several years using a mechanical roller but really wanted to learn the authentic method which uses only a pasta board and mattarello rolling pin—makes a real difference in the texture). In addition to the three types of pasta we made a killer Ragu. I loved the way Lucia talked about proper ratios in cooking rather than having us simply learn recipes by rote. Anyway, I've taken a lot of skills/information back home with me and will definitely sign up for a much longer class next time I get back to Bologna.

Reviewed June 12, 2017

I took a "pasta making" class. I was short of time because I had to catch a train and the chef-teachers were most accommodating. Learned how to make three different kinds of pasta- tagliatelle, toretellini and Ravioli. We mixed and kneaded the dough by hand and then rolled and cut it. Hands on and with superb teachers. Tagliatelle was accompanied by a Bolognese ragu which we made from scratch, and the totelinni had a simple sheep ricotta and parmesan filling with a butter-sage sauce. The ravioli had asparagus filling and an asparagus and fava bean sauce. All made from scratch. I had a unforgettable experience that I am going to take home with me, and I will try to make these dishes myself.

Reviewed May 30, 2017

I traveled to Bologna to explore the region's food, history, and culture, and selected CIBO for a full-day cooking class based on TripAdvisor reviews. Bottom line: Book the full-day course, and don't hesitate. Chef Stefano is a gregarious professional who teaches while making you feel welcome in the dedicated, professional-grade kitchen. We began the day with a market visit, and tailored the purchases and menu based on our preferences. When I commented on my love of lamb, Chef Stefano changed menus on the spot and we went home with a full side of lamb that became a major part of the class and meals! The kitchen itself is perfect for the experience - individual burners, commercial range and oven, plenty of space to roll pasta and prepare mis en place. I appreciate that the class size was limited (6 ppl max), as this enabled a more intimate experience and more involvement from the Chef. Menus were thoughtful, efficient, and carried through the day, using earlier preparations (e.g., broth, ragu, trimmings) to create later dishes. In total, we prepared twelve dishes during the full-day class, including fresh egg pasta, ragu bolognese, rabbit roulade, lamb & artichoke saute with guanciale and egg, and my personal favorite, coratello d'agnello. The class enjoys two meals together (lunch/dinner), eating the dishes prepared during the day and enjoying the local wine. The CIBO team was friendly and efficient, and took care of all cleanup and serving during the day. The kitchen is adjacent to a trattoria owned by Chef Stefano; this is a great spot for your travel companions to meet you after the class! Note that the kitchen/restaurant is a short walk from Piazza Maggiore and very convenient to access. Overall the CIBO was a great experience that I would strongly recommend to anyone with a culinary interest. Thanks Chef Stefano and CIBO team!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 28, 2017 via mobile

I have taken cooking classes through out the past 40 years
Rarely do I feel like I actually learned something .
My experience at CIBO was amazing!!
I learned a great deal I had a great time
The teachers were top notch and their skills abundant . Stefano the Chef is a master who is passionate, inteligent, enteretaining, experienced and very aproachable. He is helpful without being all over you. He has experience and has a charm to correct you if he can show you a better way to do something rather than tell you what youre used to doing is wrong!!
We started with a visit to the market with the wonderful Alexandra and Stefano who explained what we were buying and how we might use it.
I loved his explanation on the different types of cheeses vinegars and oils
The feshest local produce meats fish h err bs and spices were gathered and from these items we produced amazing meals which we all enjoyed with abundant amounts of delicious wines!!
A sip or more was also consumed through out the day as we prepared raw fish and seafood for soups and sauces
And while Gabriella taught us how to make perfect home made,hand made pasta
Technique was important and done by hand
Dicing and slicing and a little bit of help with a grinder we prepared the best Bolognese tagliatelle I've ever tasted!!!
All in all it was a wonderful experience that I plan repeating again and again
Next time I'm bringing lots of friends!!!
It's almost like a custom treatment as Stefano always asks what we like and to me
That's perfection!!!