“Best Cooking Class Ever”

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Reviewed November 15, 2014

I have attended many courses at various Culinary Institutes and the local college that has a degree program in Culinary Arts. Lucia, the chef instructor at CIBO, was wonderful. The class was for two people, perfect for true learning. I was lucky that my fellow student was also a foodie and fun to work with. Lucia agreed to take us to the market to shop for our ingredients after offering us a choice of what dishes we wanted to learn. Her English is excellent and my fellow student and I chose three pastas and four sauces. We walked to the fresh open market, selected our cheeses, meats, veggies and fruits. She showed us how to recognize real parmagianno from other cheeses that are sometimes sold as the real thing. She described the ingredients in detail so we knew how to find them in the states. When we returned to CIBO, we were brought into the new, bright, professional and clean kitchen just for lessons. CIBO has two such kitchens. They also have a pasta room with large tables for rolling pasta sheets. She showed us what to do but made sure we did the actual work so we would remember it. She explained why things were done a certain way. We made everything ourselves, pastas, ragu, bolognese sauce (which is the best I have ever had) and two other sauces. We were given access to the recipes on line and left with a certificate that I will treasure as it was a wonderful memory. She is patient, very talented as a chef and fun to work with. Our lesson was to be from 8:30 to 12:30 but at 2:00 we sat down and enjoyed our dishes with some lovely red wine, she did not rush us. A very relaxing and productive lesson. I will be making lots of pasta when I return home. I highly recommend this school for a valuable lesson that is relaxing and personalized.

4  Thank ogura98
in 16 reviews
"learn how"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2014 via mobile

We signed up for a half day pasta class and loved it so we took another Italian meal class. Both were relaxing, educational, enjoyable, personalized and memorable. (Background : I love to cook and consider myself a home chef. My signif other does not like to cook but does prep and clean up) we BOTH enjoyed and learned from the classes. Take one class here if in Bologna longer than a day. Trust me.
The pasta class had only the 2 of us so our instructor allowed us to venture out and mix up the menu! We decided on tagliatelle bolognese (amazing), traditional torteloni but w a zucchini olive oil sauce, pumpkin ravioli w/ sage butter.
I know I could do this at home now w practice. (Most pasta clases run by assistant chefs and pasta makers not by Stefano. These people were all great as he has a talented family like team!!)
For our Italian meal Stefano took us to the market where he let us dictate the protrins and let the season dictate the produce.
I was in awe of the quality of protrins and Stefanos willingness to buy anything we wanted. One of the few proteins i have never butchered or cooked was rabbit so we got a rabbit. I love cooking pork loins, chantrell, sausage, pork shank, soups, etc..he got all of these. I said I do not bake but cook....he said we will teach u to m as ke a savory flan. I said I would kill for a truffle...he ssid let me see ehat we csn do. He surprised us w a small truffle.
I ssid I know we do mot have time gor lasagna but can I see your bechemrl sauce...he said I know this and you eill use it in the flan. The guy gets rustic off the cuff Italian food. He goes at your pace snd desire.
THIS IS NOT A STATIC COOKIE CUTTER CLASS. EACH CLASS IS UNIQUE! Thus the teachers/chefs stay passionate and engaged in ea class.
This review is rather fluid and non sttuctured just like the classs.
The new kitchen is Stunning, huge and clean like a surgery room! uou do NOT feel cramped or rushed while preparing or eatting your final dishes.
Go...immerse..enjoy...learn...eat...snd make memories.
Also checknout his restsurant Tratorria Rosso. It was very flavorful, grest quality and quantity as nd value. A must stop if in Bologna for a meal.
Many Thanks to Stefano. Best wishes on your new ventures and blossoming career. I know we will see you on tv or in magazines in the future.
ps Bologna is truly for gourmands...go...eat..drink....COOK. You can do all of tgese at CIBO.

3  Thank jtssea
Reviewed October 20, 2014

I simply cannot say enough words of praise about my CIBO cooking experience! My friends and I spent our first full day in Italy at the CIBO full-day cooking class, and it definitely set the tone for our entire vacation. This class far exceeded my expectations in multiple capacities - from the warm and friendly atmosphere, to the kind and professional manner of Stefano and his staff, to the vast variety of cooking experiences that were generously offered to us in just one day. As I have returned from my trip and am asked what the highlight of my trip was, I have to say this cooking class. I felt as though it gave me a peek of authentic Italy. Cooking with Stefano, Paulina, and Lucia felt like spending the day cooking in a friend's home. I was thoroughly impressed with this experience and would highly recommend to anyone wanting an authentic, down-to-earth experience in Italy.

2  Thank Bethany Y
Reviewed October 18, 2014

This class exceeded my expectations from the moment we walked in the door. We did the full day cooking class- which I highly recommend versus the half day class. We learned how to make tagliatelle, ravioli, and tortelloni along with the stuffings and sauces. Lucia was great at simplifying pasta making and I feel like I will be able to easily replicate it at home. In the afternoon, we learned how to debone a chicken and rabbit (with great patience from Falina). Stephano was an awesome teacher and cared about providing a truly memorable experience for us. The whole group made this experience so much fun and educational and I am glad that we chose CIBO for our cooking experience. It is a must for any foodie or one wanting to learn how to cook an authentic italian meal!

2  Thank Nancy F