“Keys to a Culinary Kingdom!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
London, United Kingdom
“Keys to a Culinary Kingdom!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Excellent, friendly, committed staff worked tirelessly to go beyond all expectations. I booked the course to get an idea of what it's like to work in a professional kitchen and to learn the secrets of Bolognese cuisine. What I got was a bespoke service worth every penny. Thoroughly recommended to all food lovers!
Mish

Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Stuffed Pasta Course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was a great introductory lesson into making pasta. Stefano is so charismatic and enthusiastic about food. I've made pasta on several occasions and have pretty good amateur cooking experience, so some of the instructions were a little basic, but I also picked up a ton of good tips. I definitely appreciated the advice of a true chef, and it was so memorable! One of the highlights of my trip through Europe.

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, GA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The best day of our 10 day trip to Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place is amazing! It's so much fun and the best part is you will learn how to make some of the world's best pasta and have the ability to make it in your own kitchen when you return home. My wife and I booked an entire day at CIBO and it was the highlight of our 10 day trip. Stefano and Lucia were outstanding. When we booked our class, we submitted a long list of items we wanted to learn how to make. Stefano and Lucia taught us every last thing on our list. They are wonderful teachers. I would recommend this experience to anyone wanting to learn how to make great pasta, seafood, desserts, etc. and be able to make it in your own kitchen when you return home. Can't wait to go back for more!

Visited November 2013
Bar Harbor, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Really cooking in Bologna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had spent time reviewing the various cooking courses offered in Bologna and picked CIBO as I liked the idea of going to the market and learning about the various items available. I was not disappointed. Stefano, the attorney turned chef, met us at the school along with his assistant Monica, an expert in pasta making. Speaking excellent English Stefano led us off to the market to drool over all the plentiful and colorful fruits and vegetables. He also explained about the meats and cheeses as we looked at what was available for our meal. We all sat down to a cappuccino to discuss our menu and decided on several sauces along with tagliatelle, strichetti or bow ties and tortelloni as our pasta.

Upon returning we all had our jobs in preparing the sauces and then set about making pasta. This was the first time for me and we did it all by hand, using the traditional 36" rolling pin to roll out the pasta. I learned how easy it really is if you have the time to do so.

After we finished making the pasta we were ready to cook it all and sit down to taste the fruits of our labors along with some wine. I think everything tastes better when you make it yourself and I enjoyed learning the art of pasta making from a pro, Monica as well as learning about the different techniques and tips for making the accompanying sauces.

Stefano is quite animated and passionate about cooking and preserving traditional dishes that you cannot help but come away feeling like you carry a bit of this tradition with you along with your apron to remind you of this experience upon your return home.

Thank you Stefano and Monica for this enjoyable experience.

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something for everybody”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Previous reviewers have commented on the excellent staff and immaculate facility much better than I could. I would like to point out two more positive aspects of a cooking course at CIBO. First, there is something for everybody. If you do not know how to cook at all, you can't even boil water for pasta, this will be an enjoyable and productive day. Stefano was a practicing attorney who decided that his passion was to make the tradition of Bolognese cooking accesible to everybody, what ever their history of cooking or dining. He is one of the smartest and nicest men I have ever met, so his mission comes very easily to him. If you are a very experienced (and possibly older) cook like myself, he, and probably Ilaria, will work with you one-on-one for hours if you wish,to perfect the skills required to blaze through kilos of doppio zero, producing perfect tagliatelle and tortellini, with sauces that will amaze you and your friends. Even the jaded cook will leave happy.
Second, the food in Bologna, by and large, sucks. There are a couple of OK places, but I remember paying almost $20 for a bowl of tortellini in brodo in a highly touted ristorante, only to get a horrifying commercial product (sawdust filling, inedible) with Soviet era service. The food you get at CIBO will be better than anywhere else except possibly Imola (even Stefano would admit this), so you may as well make arrangements to eat your dinner after your lesson and have something good to eat.
The business itself is efficiently run and emails are returned within 24 hours, so making the arrangements a pleasure.

Visited August 2013