“What fun!”

CIBO Culinary Institute of Bologna
More attraction details
Owner description: CIBO offers the ultimate Italian cooking experience. Enjoy short, half day or full day classes or a week long culinary adventure. Experience cooking lessons that are taught by professional restaurant chefs, in a fun foodie environment. Join us in downtown, historic Bologna or cook in our nearby countryside location.Classes are not demonstrations. At the Culinary Institute of Bologna(CIBO) you receive a true hands-on Italian cooking experience; you actively participate in the class and learn by actually cooking the dishes we prepare. Learn authentic Bolognese dishes from our professional chefs who are employed at local Emilia Romagna restaurants and trattorias. You will work with authentic recipes that have been handed down for centuries. You will perform cooking techniques that will quickly transform you into you into a great Italian cook.Choose from a multitude of cooking lessons. You may decide to take a few hours to a few days of classes, or enjoy a full week of culinary adventure in downtown Bologna and/or the nearby countryside in Ravenna. Select from the list of our Italian cooking courses. Almost every lesson includes a lunch or dinner.Prepare authentic Bolognese cuisine and then enjoy a wonderful meal that you created. CIBO loves amateurs, professionals, students and foodies, everyone is welcome at every level of expertise. Our professional chefs and staff provide instruction in a friendly, relaxed step-by -step instructional manner The staff will share their expert tips, methods and cookery and techniques. Our classes are not demonstrations but rather hands-on cooking classes offer a unique opportunity to learn from the very best!Using our state of the art professional kitchens will assure of learning quickly and effortlessly. Each kitchen is equipped with the latest kitchenware and cooking equipment.. At CIBO your are in the perfect setting in which to improve your cooking skills and have a fun filled culinary experience!
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Taking this class was one of the highlights of our Italian vacation. We absolutely loved it! The class is conducted in the work room and kitchen of a lovely trattoria. My husband, adult son, and I participated in the hands-on morning class and earned how to make tagliatelle, gnocchi, and strozzapreti. My husband also learned how to make ragu (Bolognese sauce). Pros: 1) 100% hands-on pasta-making experience; 2) small class size (there were only 6 students the day we took the class); 3) plenty of interaction with the instructors (Stefano, the owner and chef; Miles, his assistant who demonstrated techniques; and a professional pasta maker who also offered us wonderful advice and also demonstrated her techniques); 4) the instructors had great personalities and a lot of patience; 5) the recipes they selected were simple but delicious and are definitely able to be made once you get back home; 6) the kitchen and work area were clean, well-kept, and very pleasant; 7) copies of the recipes were sent to us by email; and 8) because the pasta that was chosen for us to make dried quickly, we got to eat our delicious culinary creations along with a glass or two or more of wine. CONS: none SUGGESTION: Leave enough space in your luggage to buy and take home a 38" rolling pin. It is used in the class and we have found that it is much easier to roll out the dough thin enough with it rather than using the standard size American rolling pins once you get home.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"learn how"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you want to go to the best and easiest cooking class in Italy you need to go here! There were 7 of us. We made 4 different pastas and gnocci. Everything was melt in your mouth delicious! The sauces and pasta are easy to make and the chefs are so happy to share all their culinary tips. My daughter has a milk allergy and my son a gluten allergy and they learned how to make pasta without gluten and dairy and they both had the best meals of their lives! I wish we signed up for more days...I could have cooked with them for weeks.

2 of the adults in our group have never learned how to cook and they made perfect pasta and sauce!!

Go for it!!! You will not be disappointed!

If I could give them 10 stars I would!!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful afternoon and evening with Stephano cooking meat dishes, making pasta and desserts. Stephano is a brilliant chef who taught us how to debone a chicken and make true Bolognese sauces and dishes. Stephano is a Master of Bologna cuisine and a real nice bloke as well. We had lovely dinner and enjoyed good wine, food and company. A wonderful experience and worth travelling from Australia to attend his class. Marcello was very helpful with the booking and nothing was too much trouble. Loved the cooking experience in a real Chefs kitchen.
Mary & Tony

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had an amazing experience from start to finish. First of all, Marcello really went out of his way to help me schedule a half day class to fit into my extremely tight schedule while I am studying at the University of Bologna this summer. Next, Stefano, the chef, made the entire experience incredible. He is extremely knowledgeable and was really helpful in teaching me both basic and more complex cooking techniques. It was great to work one on one with such a personable and masterful chef. He was willing to cater to the recipes that I wanted rather than just sticking to a prescribed plan of his choosing. He went above and beyond to make this a great experience in every way, even staying a lot longer than the scheduled time so that I could master a number of techniques and then enjoy the meal after we were finished cooking. CIBO is a really unique and can't miss experience if you are vising Bologna!